Weird question, does anyone believe the creation story word for word?

This is something I've been battling recently.

I think I'm different to most on here in that I've 'found' faith as an adult. It's only something I've fully accepted recently.

I'm intelligent. I'm incredibly literal. And I come from a family of scientists. I'm not brainwashed or naive.

It was only when I met my husband that I started looking into it all. It's something he believes in so I felt it was something I should try and understand. The more I looked into it, the more it made sense to me.

I believe the Bible (even within each Christian Denomination) is something that we all interpret differently. Nor do I believe that science is void. They're not mutually exclusive to me. I look at the beautiful things in the world and I can't believe that it was just a 'big bang', there may of been one, but I feel there must of been something much bigger behind it. A turning point was looking at my baby, I can't believe science alone made something so perfect. Nor can I believe my husband and I alone made something so perfect. To me, there had to of been something much more pure behind her creation.

I do believe that God created the world, but that doesn't mean that I completely reject evolution. There is solid proof for neither. And I do believe they can go hand in hand.

I also don't really 'get' immaculate conception. I do believe in her perpetual virginity.

They're just things that make sense to me.

Her perpetual virginity? I don't get that, she obviously didn't have perpetual virginity as she had more children after Jesus

I don't want to get into any kind of debate, as I said it's still something I'm coming round to myself. But my opinion, and it's completely up to interpretation, when his 'brothers' are referred to (James, Jude, Simon and James, not the disciples) I don't think it necessarily means his blood brothers. It could mean cousins that they've been entrusted with etc.

It's just something I've come round to believe.

I think I'm different to most on here in that I've 'found' faith as an adult. It's only something I've fully accepted recently.

I'm intelligent. I'm incredibly literal. And I come from a family of scientists. I'm not brainwashed or naive.

It was only when I met my husband that I started looking into it all. It's something he believes in so I felt it was something I should try and understand. The more I looked into it, the more it made sense to me.

I believe the Bible (even within each Christian Denomination) is something that we all interpret differently. Nor do I believe that science is void. They're not mutually exclusive to me. I look at the beautiful things in the world and I can't believe that it was just a 'big bang', there may of been one, but I feel there must of been something much bigger behind it. A turning point was looking at my baby, I can't believe science alone made something so perfect. Nor can I believe my husband and I alone made something so perfect. To me, there had to of been something much more pure behind her creation.

I do believe that God created the world, but that doesn't mean that I completely reject evolution. There is solid proof for neither. And I do believe they can go hand in hand.

I also don't really 'get' immaculate conception. I do believe in her perpetual virginity.

Her perpetual virginity? I don't get that, she obviously didn't have perpetual virginity as she had more children after Jesus

I'm not a Christian so don't believe in it either, and I do think the other children were Mary's, but I literally wrote 4000 words about this yesterday and there is great debate about whether the other children were Mary's, or Joseph's from a previous marriage. Some even consider them to be cousins.

Random question but does a religious person think of other other religions 'untrue'?

I think that's a personal thing. Some religious people believe that their faith is the only "true" one. Some take it to the extent of wanting to eradicate belief in other faith/religions.
I personally believe what I believe, but I don't believe that other religions are "untrue", I see it as us interpreting our faith and the information presented to us in different ways. If I was raised in a different country with a different history and culture I'd probably belong to another religion. Faith is such a personal thing, the relationship you have with God (or Gods, or whoever you believe in) is unique to each of us. For me Christianity feels "right", it is the institution/community/belief system that allows me to live my beliefs and share them with like minded people. But I can totally see how other religions feel right to other people. I have been to other faith services and felt close to God. So while everything that is said might not resonate with me at a Gudwara or a Quaker meeting house I still believe that those religions are "real" and valid; that those people are just experiencing God in their own way.
There's this analogy about a group of blind men who encounter an elephant. They all feel the elephant and then describe what they've experienced. Although they felt the same animal their descriptions are very different: one describes the elephants body as a big hard boulder, another describes it as a rough surface full of cracks like a parched cracked ground. One feels the sharp point of the tusks, while another focuses on the cool, smooth feel of them. For me different religions are like that. We're all (in my opinion) experiencing the same elephant, but interpreting it in different ways due to different life experiences, cultures and history.

I asked my OH what his belief is, and he says he believes in the creation story as it is, but does not believe it is the whole story. He believes each "day" that God created the world, does not refer to a 24 hour period, but a long perios of time, an era, an "epic" (his word). He believes God created the galaxies and space (and everything in it, even what we as humans don't know about), all the systems that make Earth a planet we can survive on, the creatures that eventually became dinosaurs and so on. He believes God made the blueprints for things, then let evolution occur as it would, while tweaking things occasionally and helping things along into his desired path. He believes humans came from apes, and that Adam and Eve were not the first humans, but the first that God considered "ideal" as he wanted them to be. So the human race did not (in his opinion) come from just two single people.

I asked why he believes this when the creation story clearly leaves so much of this out, and he said that the first book of the bible is so old, that at the time it was written, humans didn't know enough to comprehend the ideas of evolution, etc. and so when (Abraham? Ehoever wrote the creation story down. I don't know who.) was given the vision of how creation occured, he wrote down what he could understand (or maybe all that God gave him, leaving out the evolution part because he didn't want it twisted?) and that's why the creation story as it is recorded is not complete or fully correct.

He never got around to telling me if he believes that Mary was a virgin.

Sorry for any typos, I'm on my phone.

I'm not a Christian so don't believe in it either, and I do think the other children were Mary's, but I literally wrote 4000 words about this yesterday and there is great debate about whether the other children were Mary's, or Joseph's from a previous marriage. Some even consider them to be cousins.

I tried looking up the arguments about that but they mostly seemed to be based on assumptions. Maybe there's a better written argument somewhere.

Religion is my favourite topic. It interest me so much.

Me too! I'm lucky enough to live very close to a good university and they get lots of awesome guest lecturers and speakers, I've been to some fascinating talks on religion; my mind has been blown a few times :haha:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->