Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!? Haha!

Skywalker

Reaction score
I think it was in February or March when I was in my kitchen cooking and looked up to see an odd looking brown praying mantis on the wall. OH told me there is an old wives tale about a praying mantis appearing in the home when someone is pregnant. At that point I either was still pregnant or had just had my miscarriage, but it was interesting because I did miscarry and the preying mantis was brown looking and sick looking.

I didn't think much of it because it's an old wives tale but I'm obviously pregnant now and know it and I looked up on the wall right in front of my computer while I'm working and what do I see? A big, healthy looking, bright green praying mantis doing a little jig on the wall lol :haha: I was like, "Nooo wayyyy!" I called OH and he saw it too when he came home. Eventually it crawled far enough down the wall that I got it on a piece of paper and put it outside, but I swear to god, the thing kept looking at me when it was on the wall, turning it's big head with it's big eyes towards me. Haha! I wonder if there is something to the old wives tale? :happydance: It was cute, either way, and made me smile, so I thought I'd share!

I think it was in February or March when I was in my kitchen cooking and looked up to see an odd looking brown praying mantis on the wall. OH told me there is an old wives tale about a praying mantis appearing in the home when someone is pregnant. At that point I either was still pregnant or had just had my miscarriage, but it was interesting because I did miscarry and the preying mantis was brown looking and sick looking.

I didn't think much of it because it's an old wives tale but I'm obviously pregnant now and know it and I looked up on the wall right in front of my computer while I'm working and what do I see? A big, healthy looking, bright green praying mantis doing a little jig on the wall lol :haha: I was like, "Nooo wayyyy!" I called OH and he saw it too when he came home. Eventually it crawled far enough down the wall that I got it on a piece of paper and put it outside, but I swear to god, the thing kept looking at me when it was on the wall, turning it's big head with it's big eyes towards me. Haha! I wonder if there is something to the old wives tale? :happydance: It was cute, either way, and made me smile, so I thought I'd share!

Lol awwww that is cute. Also , the healthy looking one might be a sign that this pregnancy will be a good one and you'll be holding your beautiful baby in the end :)

Lol awwww that is cute. Also , the healthy looking one might be a sign that this pregnancy will be a good one and you'll be holding your beautiful baby in the end :)

I think so too :happydance: Haha it's just so funny because I NEVER have seen one in my entire life until being here in NZ and only then only in the two times I've been pregnant, so I'm starting to wonder if the old wives' tale is true! Has to be something to it ;) Thanks sweetie! :hugs: :kiss:

Actually to amend that, in second grade there was a kid who brought a praying mantis in for show and tell and it wound up in my hair, and I def wasn't pregnant in second grade haha! Probably someone in my family was ;) But yes, since then, never saw one in person and certainly not one that was wild, this one was this kids' pet from a store.

My hubs family go by if there is a kookaburra in the yard, on the power line out front or on neighbours clothes line or u hear them sing someone in that house is pregnant.. Always the case when his sister is preg and has now happened to me :)

Omg! I saw a praying mantis a few days ago! How cool! The one I saw was brown but looked fairly healthy...let's hope color doesn't have anything to do with it :haha:

I found one in my screen door the other day! I've never seen one in real life either. So weird!

Haha that's so funny about the bird and the praying mantis'! I wouldn't worry too much about the colour Shelby, after all it's an old wives' tale and the one I saw before was barely moving and looked like it was sick or about to die or something that one time in Feb or March :) I think also, are they capable of changing their colours like a chameleon? Or maybe there are different species! So funny you ladies saw them too!

Yes, there's lots of different species :) I particularly find the orchid mantis pretty!

Yes, there's lots of different species :) I particularly find the orchid mantis pretty!

Oh cool! I had no idea :D You probably saw a different species than I did. Now I have to Google orchid mantis... and then take a nap lol

WOW it completely looks like an orchid! I had no idea that existed!

LOL! Being in the UK, if I looked up and saw a praying mantis on the wall I'd be rather shocked, let alone thinking it was a sign of being pregnant! :haha:

Now i have to google what these things look like as I'm I the uk lol

omg they terrify me!! Well all bugs in general do!! But that is so funny because yesterday there was on the window staring in at me :haha:

Your everyday American and European mantises are chameleons indeed. Color depends on food and environment. Green to brown is normal. In Mexico they're known as el caballo del diablo, the devil's horse, and they're a source of terror. A Mexican coworker freaked once when she saw me holding one. I'm crazy about them :) I've never heard of them predicting pregnancy...that's seriously awesome! I love it showing up green this time :)

Your everyday American and European mantises are chameleons indeed. Color depends on food and environment. Green to brown is normal. In Mexico they're known as el caballo del diablo, the devil's horse, and they're a source of terror. A Mexican coworker freaked once when she saw me holding one. I'm crazy about them :) I've never heard of them predicting pregnancy...that's seriously awesome! I love it showing up green this time :)

So strange! In Greece they are called the Horse of Mother Mary. So nothing to do with devil. I always loved the way they seem to stare at things and people :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->