What advice would you give teenage girls & younger women?

Hope3

LTTTC#1
Reaction score
I've recently started teaching sex ed where a lot of the emphasis is on preventing unwanted pregnancies and safe sex.

The thing is I get a sense that we're not telling young women the truth about fertility and how that relates to being more discerning about choosing a partner and when. Maybe we should be more honest with them about the heartbreak of infertility and ttc, especially if like me you've left it too late.

I'm 42 ttc no.1. I wrongly believed I had loads of time to settle down and have kids because my mum had me at 37. I didn't think the scare stories about declining fertility would apply to me. I figured with modern medicine etc my chances would be better but so far mother nature has other ideas.

If I had fully grasped that my fertility was finite would I have wasted time 'having fun' and dating undesirables who had no intention of committing?

I feel as though it would be seen as being politically incorrect to say to teenage girls "look if you think you want children later in life you need to start saving now and don't waste your time on losers."

I'm not saying that women should go back to the dark ages but sexual liberation has come at a high price and it's women not men who are paying.

I'm not convinced there should be yet another school initiative on this but something that comes from the community. Women getting together to pass on their wisdom to the younger generation.

Any thoughts?

I think we need to teach girls not about safe sex and STI's but about placing value on their Fertility and that its not cheap and to be thrown about, that Sex always comes with an emotional connection and you keep the emotional scars of failed relationships for life.

Pregnancy and Childbirth are as close to miricles as we have and it doesnt come easy for everybody, Sex shouldnt be taught as "fun if your safe" it should be taught as something to be cherished and valued an experience you share only with people you would be willing to have a child with because we all know accidents can happen, and the long term effects of things like contraceptive medications can result in problems with fertility in the long run. Girls need to be aware that sleeping with someone is giving the most initmate access and personal parts of themselves to that person and to be careful who that person is and if they are worthy of it

I think we need to teach girls not about safe sex and STI's but about placing value on their Fertility and that its not cheap and to be thrown about, that Sex always comes with an emotional connection and you keep the emotional scars of failed relationships for life.

Pregnancy and Childbirth are as close to miricles as we have and it doesnt come easy for everybody, Sex shouldnt be taught as "fun if your safe" it should be taught as something to be cherished and valued an experience you share only with people you would be willing to have a child with because we all know accidents can happen, and the long term effects of things like contraceptive medications can result in problems with fertility in the long run. Girls need to be aware that sleeping with someone is giving the most initmate access and personal parts of themselves to that person and to be careful who that person is and if they are worthy of it

Beautifully said and I agree 100%. It's a shame that popular culture only seems to show the 'sex is fun if you're safe' view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->