What age can you leave kids home alone?

i disagree. how are they going to learn if they arent given any responsibility?

I also disagree. I think kids should be given responsibilities once they are mature enough. I was a very mature kid and was minding my younger siblings from about 12/13, I think it taught me responsibility and helped me become the person I am today. My Kaya is quite sensible and mature for her age, and even now I ask her to keep an eye on and help her younger sister when I'm in the garden or we're at soft play. As long as it's age appropriate and the older child is still given the opportunity to be a kid I don't see the problem.

I don't know about legal ages but i do know that you really should check your home insurance as to the age they allow. I know that certain home insurance companies will count your insurance invalid if you have to make a claim under fire and water damage if the person in charge of the house is under 18 at the time of the incident.

No matter how responsible my child is at 13,14 or even 16 i would not leave them in charge of their younger sibling for 6 hours while i went to work - maybe for 2 hours but no more. Especially if there is an adult close by to watch them.

I think it's 12 here, to be left to care for others..not sure on their own though (Canada)

I was left with my siblings on occasion from about 13/14 all evening. They are 4 & 6 years younger than me. I was 15/16 when looking after other peoples children inc my nephew from 10 days old.
x

You can still give a child responsibilty without leaving them to look after younger siblings at home for long periods of time, thats not their job and personally i wouldnt leave my child to look after younger siblings or leave them with some one under 18......thats just my own prefrence and as a child i was left to look after my younger siblings whilst my parents worked x

edit: also when my husband was 10 he was left to look after his brother who was 4 and his baby sister age 1 for about 2 hours every day so his mum could drop his stepdad to work and back and then go back and pick him up.....he resents being made to act a parent that wasnt his job and he feels shouldnt of be put in that situation and the older his siblings got the more he got left 'looking after them' x

I don't think I would leave older children looking after younger ones as a regular thing but once in a while I don't see a problem. People know their own children. I'm the oldest in my family and at 8 would be send out to get something from the shop if we forgot it, crossing roads. My sister was allowed to that until she was much older because she just wasn't street smart. Depends on the child really. I'm not sure about leaving older children minding babies or toddlers though. They require a lot more work and it's easier for something to go wrong.

but it IS her job, when she is getting paid for it, and she is. Its not like Im asking her to raise anyone, her brother is 11 (12 in april) and they stay home alone in the summer. Daycares here dont even accept children over 12 any more.

You can still give a child responsibilty without leaving them to look after younger siblings at home for long periods of time, thats not their job and personally i wouldnt leave my child to look after younger siblings or leave them with some one under 18......thats just my own prefrence and as a child i was left to look after my younger siblings whilst my parents worked x

edit: also when my husband was 10 he was left to look after his brother who was 4 and his baby sister age 1 for about 2 hours every day so his mum could drop his stepdad to work and back and then go back and pick him up.....he resents being made to act a parent that wasnt his job and he feels shouldnt of be put in that situation and the older his siblings got the more he got left 'looking after them' x

I agree with the highlighted part wholeheartedly. I never had to babysit, but had a friend who did. It seemed like that was her sole-purpose in life...to be free childcare for her parents. It was wrong. I feel badly for her. She felt used. She never could do anything after school or on weekends. My kids are in my life to have their own lives. If they want to babysit when they are older, they can agree to, and be paid, just like any other job.

Well I have heard that you are allowed to babysit from age 13- which would question the leaving alone with an under 16 yo wouldnt it?. How do they distinct between a 16 year old sibling and a 13 yo babysitter?

can I just state SIL son is NOT left to look after his younger brother on a regular basis, she usually works when they are at school xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->