What age did lo hold their head up?

marilyn378

Mother of 1
Reaction score
Hi everyone i'm new to this site, i have been reading all the posts when i got pregnant and now my son(Aidan) is 4 months old next week and i've just got around to joining, i was just wondering what age everyones LO held there head up, as Aidan doesn't seem to be interested in doing it and his neck isn't very strong, i put him on his tummy but he screams his head off, does anyone have any ideas on how i can make his neck stronger?
Last time i went to see the h/v she said if he doesn't hold is head up in the next few weeks he'll have to go see a physio! are all babys different or is there a set time for them to do this by.
Thanks

Hermione was around 10 weeks old, but she is active. To the extent that i cant leave her for a minute, she wont lay down and always like t be entertained.
She hates tummy time also - so i used to lay with her on my belly facing me on the sofa and talk to her - that helped her. i have one of those cosy sit up things they sell in early learning centre - as it supports them to get through the stages to sitting up - bit by bit. i used that from birth - they laying down positions to gradually supported sitting up which we used around 2 1/2 months - i have to sit with her otherwise she falls forward but her head and neck are strong. Maybe try that. also try waving toys above thier head so they have to move to see them, that will develop their muscles.

Good luck and dont panic they all develop when they are ready

Jacob could pull his head up at 4 days old but has been holding it up fine for weeks now although everyone comments on the fact he is a very strong baby x

Char was 4 weeks old and holding it perfectly, her pediatrician was very surprised though. At 2 days old she was looking around and holding it a bit even.

All babies really are different. Hannah was able to hold her head up from birth, not that she had great control but she could do it and she still hated tummy time. Do you have a tummy time pillow? We found that by using that for a few weeks, Hannah gained a lot more control and enjoyed tummy time a lot more. Also found that doing tummy time first thing in the morning, when she's at her happiest made her tolerate it better

All babies really are different. Hannah was able to hold her head up from birth, not that she had great control but she could do it and she still hated tummy time. Do you have a tummy time pillow? We found that by using that for a few weeks, Hannah gained a lot more control and enjoyed tummy time a lot more. Also found that doing tummy time first thing in the morning, when she's at her happiest made her tolerate it better

Sam was the same - he was quite good with his head early on but still hated tummy time at your son's age - it was only when he started pushing himself up on his arms that he loved being on his front because he could see more. Maybe propping his front half up on a pillow as Vickie suggested would help.

And welcome to BnB! :hi: x

maddi didn't get a steady head till about 3.5/4months, all babies are different but they get there in the end :)

i often found tummy time on me helped rather than floor :)

:hi: welcome too :)

Hi and welcome to BnB, Dec was holding his head up from birth, but my midwife and HV always commented on his muscle tone saying it was very good, but my little nephew wasnt holding his head up until he was about 4-5 months, so goes to show all babies are different and will do things at their own pace xx

Maley did it from birth.....also we propped Maley on the corner of the sofa quite alot so she isnt constantly laying down...maybe get him upright more often but prop him so when he is tired there is something to support his head

welcome to bnb by the way x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrs.K2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->