What are all of these things?

prettybirdy27

Reaction score
Hi ladies, I was just hoping for some guidance. We were registering this weekend and got totally overwhelmed by this. Can someone please explain what each of these things do, and the differences between them?

- Receiving blankets

- Swaddling blankets

- Crib blankets

- burp cloths

- baby washcloths

Can I just buy a ton of baby washcloths and use them for burp cloths as well?

Thanks!

Receiving blankets are usually 100% cotton and smaller than swaddling blankets. They are used for lots of different purposes, i.e. changing mat cover in public, a light blanket under a heavier one, cloth diaper inserts, burp cloths, etc.
Swaddling blankets are for swaddling baby obviously and are usually larger and more breathable.
No idea what crib blankets are, but everything I've read has said to avoid blankets in baby's crib so that's what I've done. They might just be regular soft blankets, though? In which case we got a bunch as gifts and used them through the winter to cover our son in the carseat, stroller, etc.
Burp cloths are bigger than washcloths usually. You could use a washcloth as a burp cloth, but I personally would want my burp cloths to have a little more surface area. You'd be surprised how far they can puke!

Lol! So glad you posted this, I have been mystified by all the various types of blankets and their uses too! Just had this convo with my mom and best friend.

I also asked my mom if baby specific wash clothes are necessary and she said yes. They are super tiny so I would say too small to use for burp clothes. I think someone said you could use receiving blankets for this though.

I've already got a tonne of fancy thick blankets that I know you can't put in the crib. So I'm not really sure what they're for. I have five already and haven't even had my shower yet....

I think the only things on that list you really need are swaddling blankets, burp cloths/rags, and maybe some washcloths if your aren't gentle enough for baby's skin.

This will be our first LO, so I can't speak from personal experience, but all of our friends have told us that receiving blankets are pretty much useless- and I know from being a CBE/doula that crib blankets are not safe at all, so you definitely don't need those.

Most of those registry checklist are full of items that you don't need. The stores just want you to buy as much stuff as humanly possible so that they make a lot of money off you and your family/friends.

I think they got explained well. I think receiving blankets will be a personal preference thing. I actually used them for everything and loved them. I hardly used actual burp cloths myself because they are small and my kids would still get puke all over me lol so I used receiving blankets. Also worked for me if I needed something light and quick to cover if nursing in public and such. So I think it's a personal thing. I also know someone who loved burp cloths and hardly used the receiving blankets lol I just found them really versatile and handy. Good luck! I know it can be confusing in the beginning trying to figure out what you need and don't :)

Yes, what the PP's said.

I personally never used receiving blankets for much with my first, so I won't be buying them this time around. It seems like most people use receiving blankets more for "props" - like to roll up and put under baby's neck to elevate them or something. I may buy a cheap pack of 3 or 4 just to have in case, but I really hardly ever used them.

Swaddling blankets - to be honest, you can find baby blankets that aren't technically "swaddling" blankets that are much cheaper and do the trick. I've seen swadding blankets going for like $40 when regular baby blankets can be as low as $10. Just choose a thinner one (not like a super heavy fleece one) that's big enough and you're good to go (or use sleep sacks, which are equally as expensive but can be much cheaper second-hand. Sleep sacks are worth the price in my opinion, especially if you buy them used. You only need one or two anyway)

Burp Cloths - I think this is personal preference, but I like the big thick ones, not the smaller oval shaped ones. The easiest way to explain this is that I didn't like the ones with rounded edges - they all seemed too small and too thin. So a washcloth would definitely be too small. I really liked the Gerber cloth diapers as burp cloths. You can definitely use burp cloths as washcloths. (Link - they have them in colors, too, not just white: https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Birds...=1439470176&sr=1-1&keywords=cloth+burp+cloths)

Wash Cloths/Bath stuff in general - I think all of this is pretty much useless. The little wash cloths seem really cute, but they're no different than the washcloths you have at home, and they're so much smaller and thinner that I guarantee you'll be reaching for your own washcloth instead. Also, the cute little hooded towels are really adorable looking, but they're thin and impractical. They don't absorb any water. We are skipping all bath linens this time around and just using the towels/washcloths everyone else in the family uses :)

I hope this is helpful and not too preach-y!! :)

I totally agree with everything marigold said! But again, all personal preference. Especially about the wash cloths! I have 50 wash cloths that I hardly used to wash, in fact they ended up being used mostly as a pee pee cover for diaper changes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->