What are growth scans used for?

cranberry987

Mum after ttc 16 cycles
Reaction score
Hi

Im considering refusing the growth scans Im booked into at 28 32 and 36 weeks. Theyre monitoring me for GD developing (dont have it as yet, but I have PCOS and a history of insulin resistance) so wanting to see how large the baby grows. Theyre not thinking about small baby, that would be a different issue altogether.

My question is once they know the size/predicted size of the baby at term, what do they do with that information. Its my understanding that RCOG do not recommend induction based on fetal weight so really what use will it be?

I know that scans are notoriously unreliable and can be out by 500g either way, but say I had one which said that baby was going to be a 10lber, what action would they actually take?

The reason I ask is because I basically dont want to give them any more fodder to throw at me when Im 40w and wanting daily monitoring. They started talking about induction due to GD at my first appointment at 8w. I tried to talk to them about things today and they were not interested in having an adult conversation regarding other options (said that they did not know any of the details of what monitoring involved as they never did it). I want to have monitoring but if its going to be stressful and a daily fight against induction then I worry that the stress will halt labour and things will end up going the way they predict.

If your baby is off the scales on a growth scan, they will quite often recommend a c-section. I personally would rather try laboring with a large baby than go straight for the c-section. As you said, they are not the most accurate things.

They are TERRIBLY inaccurate... I wouldn't unless they think there is a problem. Once you get into your second trimester the rate inaccuracy goes down but I think 20%. Then begins to decrease even more as you get closer to term. They weight measurement can be off by up to 2 pounds. It's really not worth it especially because they really don't know if ultrasound effects the baby. Do NSTs if they are worried. (Non-stress tests)

Yes estimated fetal weight is really innaccurate.. from what I understand it can be up to 25% out either way :wacko:

I had regular growth scans because my waters broke/I have problems with Oligohydraminos. For me it was just to make sure there was enough water round baby, that he was drinking/weeing fluid and was still growing at a normal rate (I don't put much stock in weight, I just go by what he's measuring weekly). :flower:

im looking at growth scans none booked yet they want my GTT done first but i have big babies, (last 10lb12oz) so it would help to know if this one is as big and since i didnt find out gender at my scan today it would be nice to see that

one thing that bugs me from todays scan is that all the measurements were measuring 21wks 4/5 days and im 21 wks today by my 12 wk scan date 20+4 by my lmp date so baby is potentially measureing a whole week ahead, but my fundal height is actually behind lol which is the pattern from my last pregnancy too, have to wait to talk to the consultant after my GTT in a months time

I wonder what you/they will do with the information tho if they do find that youre having another big baby, would you change your plans of a home birth lynn?

i wouldnt change my plans no , even if the measuremtns they got were big if my fundal height stayed on track they would just catalogue it under expected margin of error ( according to my MW ) lol would help me orangnize though so i could pack away anything for a smaller baby lol

Im strongly leaning towards not having them. The only reason I think we might have one of them is for vanity reasons. DH would quite like to see the baby again, Im not that fussed but want to respect his wishes (altho I might just pay for a babybond 4d at around 30w as itll be less stressful and achieve the same aim = bonding for DH).

Im controlling my blood sugars so even if baby is big theres not much more I can do about it. Id prefer to at least try to labour and end up with an EMCS than be induced early.

So the plan is to book them in, most likely cancel the 28w the day before, book the 32w which we might go to, and miss the 36w.

Things might change if they think baby is having some sort of trouble or whatever but atm the only reason they want to know the size seems to be so they can induce me early or push me to c section, neither of which Id accept as things currently stand.

Thanks for your help with the issue.

:thumbup: Good for you! Stay strong. :) Like I said they aren't always right and my daughter would have been born at 35 weeks if I had listen to there "estimate" She was only 38 weeks when she was born and supposedly 40 wks full term by there estimate. So by follow my instincts we had a beautiful birth and a healthy baby. Versus either EMCS or a premature baby that would have to stay in the hospital and possible had a difficulty breastfeeding. :dohh: Sometimes they are just wrong and that's ok because they have a license to PRACTICE. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->