What are some names you dislike?

:dohh:
Yeah I just don't get it. They're gonna spend their whole life going "Hi, I'm John. Spelt Joihaeieneiegeixhn."
I have an awkward surname, and it gets so tiresome every time you say your name over the phone just waiting for "Can you spell that for me please?" :dohh:

Oh dear that made ma laugh a lot. I have an awkward Surname too, its Norwegian so I was pleased my name was just Rachel, plain and simple and nothing dodgy because added to my surname it would have caused hell!

:dohh:
Yeah I just don't get it. They're gonna spend their whole life going "Hi, I'm John. Spelt Joihaeieneiegeixhn."
I have an awkward surname, and it gets so tiresome every time you say your name over the phone just waiting for "Can you spell that for me please?" :dohh:

Oh dear that made ma laugh a lot. I have an awkward Surname too, its Norwegian so I was pleased my name was just Rachel, plain and simple and nothing dodgy because added to my surname it would have caused hell!

Haha I thought Anna is pretty easy to handle but I get Hannah alllll the time, and even Abby?

i dont really hate any name but when one gets really popular it does put me off when i hear someone else has called their baby it its a bit different if u use it THEN it gets really popular
i like different names but not ones that are obviously made up

Gretal, Lucas and Lloyd all names MIL LOVES :sick:

Nigel, Jayden, Conner, Jake, Robert, Morgan, Logan, Ross,

Chantelle, Lacey, Mercedes, Cameron, Kylie, Lucy, Millie, Maisy, Molly, Betty, Gloria, Jo, Katrina, Stephanie, Sasha, Susie, Susan, Marley.....just as well im having a boy!

I just guess that the name are at one end of the phonetic scale with finland bein the other end (as in a country which is very phonetic in spelling). (what you see is what you et kind of. Even English itsself hasn't got phonetics as their strong point lol, no surprise seeing the spelling hasnt changed a lot in a couple of hundred years..., in fact English is even one of the only languages that doesn't even have phonetic vowels .lol
I'd be quite interested to see how Irish phonetics work to see the logic behind their spelling :).
Anyway on topic, There aren't many names i have a particular dislikening to but if there is one then it is Kevin purely because it is overused in Germany especially by the bottom end income group. (such as the German equivalent to chavs) mostly with a very German surname .. (and apart from that is that german rather pronounce it Ke-win rather than kevin. (It even spawned a name cateory called Kevinism(or chantalism for the female version)

Considering the spelling there is actually a law in Germany that says that the spelling must be a standard/common spelling of the name , and not something they imagined.

Yeah Irish is quite a tough language..fluency levels here are quite low as it almost totally died out a century ago and it is taught very badly in schools. The grammar is very irregular and tough! Spelling wise, there are no j's, p's, v's, k's, w's...and quite a few other letters I forget! Fadas are the accents over vowels, they change the sound and lengthen it..the most common one is over the e. Fear is pronounced far and means man...féar is pronounced fair and means grass. bh and mh together is extremely common in names..they make the 'v' sound. Strange looking spellings are generally caused by those groups of letters! Fadas too alter names drastically from what they appear. Irish is incredibly different from English! The word order is different too, but I think it's quite common for languages to have a different word order to English.

Sophia, Colleen, Heather, Emma, Ella, Janice, Heidi, Rachel, Stephanie, Michelle

Anthony, Jordan, Jayden, Mike, Taylor, Tyrone

Personal hates: Paris, Prada, Candice, Jean and sooooooooooo glad my neice didn't get called Alexis, What was she thinking, too beautiful to call her something that screams shoulder pads. Gary, Barry and Clive.
I know all the above [apart from Alexis] but they don't suit the person.

There is truly nothing worse than Alexis or Paris...:nope:

McKenzie
Chanel
Chantelle
Levi
Mason
Chelsey
Brooklyn
Brittany
Courtney
Kenzie
Kenzo

Mis-spelt names..Khloe, Kourtney, Emaleigh and so on

I do not like names that are surnames. If it bears sentimental relevance then that's fine, but just random surnames like Parker or Archer or Hunter - they just sound weird. I also don't like Hunter because it reminds me of one of the special infected in left 4 dead hahaha :amartass:

Its more the made up spelling of names that bugs me. I am probably just boring and traditional though ha

LOL @ this thread!!

I dont hate any names as such, hates a pretty strong word over just a baby name :lol: but im not keen on naming children after "brands" of any description, Chanel, Mercedes, Primark, Argos etc etc

I absolutely despise Madison/Addison. I just think they sound so harsh and masculine. I know a beautiful baby girl named Addison and I don't think the name fits her at all (neither does her dad incidentally-he wanted to name her something more traditional)

I absolutely despise Madison/Addison. I just think they sound so harsh and masculine. I know a beautiful baby girl named Addison and I don't think the name fits her at all (neither does her dad incidentally-he wanted to name her something more traditional)

Madison makes me think of the mermaid on Splash. You know how she picks that name when she comes across Madison Ave. in NYC. :haha:

:haha: this thread is funny! Some of your reasons are hilarious...

I dont like names with odd spellings/with extra letters added on. Like adding "h" in between to make it look "cooler" (I have met a girl called Summah... *shudder*)

Niamh/Siobhan/Neveah - how the FECK are they pronounced :rofl:

The "-Ayden" names... its as if people just went along the alphabet adding each letter on the beginning of "-ayden" to make a new name. (ayden, brayden, cayden, hayden, jayden etc etc etc)

Names with alliteration (like jessie james / mollie may / betty boop :lol:)

"old" names - Bill, Jonathan, Steve, Bob, Dave - OH jokingly suggested these :dohh:

Kids named after their parents, parents names combined, or the worst WORST ever - John Johnson. Harry Harrison.....

i dislike of the '-ayden' names too! like previous poster said people just added random letters from the alphabet to -ayden! L-ayden, J-ayden etc :nope:
I think i dislike now because alot of people are using these but its just Hayden, Jayden, Cayden etc. Quite the same tbh

Also season names.... Amber, Summer, April, May, June and so on!! i know a few called this an it suits them but id never call my child after a season :nope: (no offence to others who are called this or calling their child one :) )

i dont like names that are state,month,day names i dont know y i just dont.

i dont like BOYS NAMES like harry,archie, george,jack,connor,cash, gage,hunter,river,and the list goes on...and OH picks some weird boy names....we are having the hardest time picking maes that we do like......

I dont like names that are like older lady-ish or shortend names. carol,linda,mary,etc.

same thing as some1 else said about the using male/female names taylor, jordan, etc

Just posted reply to the survey thread on Names..

i've a son called CAYDEN and am proud.
and it was not just a add - a -letter to 'ayden'
and see what i come up with

the meaning of the name was biggest clincher for me
Cayden - means fighter.
the name i had picked out 4/5yr ago when i was pregnant with my daughter for her was Cayden is a Boy... obv she was born a girl. but tragically died..

then when i was preg with my son and found out he was a boy
the one name my heart was still set on was Cayden.
Cayden faught thru an eventful stressful pregnancy for almost 38wks
became a miracle in my life, Cayden lived upto his name and is a complete fighter, thru my daughters death and loss of two more babies he made my dreams come true eventually,

there are other names out there that mean Fighter
but cayden happened to have that extra special thing to me
my choice of name for my daughter
and also out of all the names that meant fighter it was the one my heart was set on..

I dont like ALOT of Names that ppl call there Babies, but tbh I wouldnt dream of posting them up incase i insult someones little baby/child on here that has that name

as i said in other post,
it a good thing everyone has different taste
because if not, this world would be one boring place

so heres to choice and freedom to choose
I Love my choice of Name for my SON and definelty one proud CAYDEN Mommy

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member