What are some names you dislike?

:rofl: Love how I come back to this thread to see I've been called ignorant for not liking Irish names!

I just don't like the names, I don't like the spelling.. how ignorant of me.

Your post did come across as ignorant to me as it's not just one or two names you dislike but all 'Irish-type names' so you're basically criticising an entire language, to say that kids would spend the rest of their lives spelling them out and that you can't pronounce one of them may be true for someone completely unfamiliar with the names or outside of Ireland but not for most Irish people. You are perfectly entitled not to like Irish names, each to their own, it's the way you expressed this dislike which showed a lack of respect for the language. I would imagine you would've received some negative responses had you made a similar post about another language and names in this language, eg Welsh.

Actually, someone said they hated American names...what's the difference?

'American' names are in English. They are not in a different language. Blasting them does not blast a language. Irish (Gaeilge) IS a language vastly different from English, so the names have completely different sounds and spellings. It is the same as criticising Welsh, Indian, African names for being tough to spell or tough to pronounce. So what? They're not in English! It is ignorant to blast ALL Irish names because the person is not familiar with the language. Full stop.

:rofl: Love how I come back to this thread to see I've been called ignorant for not liking Irish names!

Your post did come across as ignorant to me as it's not just one or two names you dislike but all 'Irish-type names' so you're basically criticising an entire language, to say that kids would spend the rest of their lives spelling them out and that you can't pronounce one of them may be true for someone completely unfamiliar with the names or outside of Ireland but not for most Irish people. You are perfectly entitled not to like Irish names, each to their own, it's the way you expressed this dislike which showed a lack of respect for the language. I would imagine you would've received some negative responses had you made a similar post about another language and names in this language, eg Welsh.

I agree with this statement, good point :thumbup:
I dont think all Irish names should be critisized nor do I think someone should make a comment that they "hate all American names" as that DOES put down the American culture whether its in English or not. Its just as bad as someone from North America saying, I cant stand English names- its plain rude and I am sure it would cause offense to lots of ladies

I think this thread was started to list specific names and not cultures so lets please stick with that

'American' names are in English. They are not in a different language. Blasting them does not blast a language. Irish (Gaeilge) IS a language vastly different from English, so the names have completely different sounds and spellings. It is the same as criticising Welsh, Indian, African names for being tough to spell or tough to pronounce. So what? They're not in English! It is ignorant to blast ALL Irish names because the person is not familiar with the language. Full stop.

It's not about language...it's about culture, as language is an important part of culture. To even stereotype and say that American names are "made up" as another poster has done just shows ignorance.

BTW, I've never heard of ANYONE naming their baby Chiquita! LMAO!

Technically "Chiquita" would be Spanish. :winkwink:

I don't like the name "Nicole", too bad it's my name! lol I'm not a fan of the "-ayden" trend either because it's MASSIVELY overdone here. Same with Emma, Sophie, Olivia, Morgan. Not a fan of the names from my mom's generation either: Linda, Janet, Carol, Deborah, Diane, that sort of thing.
As for boy's names, my least favourite would have to be "Duane". Dwayyyyne. Ick! lol

It's not about language...it's about culture, as language is an important part of culture. To even stereotype and say that American names are "made up" as another poster has done just shows ignorance.

BTW, I've never heard of ANYONE naming their baby Chiquita! LMAO!

Yes in the case of American names, it is about culture but her problem with Irish names was entirely language-based. To criticise both as a group is bad either way.

I think it might have been an american who said that american names are 'made up' :haha:

I think it was I that said American names are made up...and yes I am American!

Not all American names are made up, just the majority of them.

And to clarify I do tech support and I hear on a daily basis some of the weirdest names ever...

LOL, I used to work in an outbound call center. It really sucks when you've got to ask for the person with a name you can't pronounce.. I know how others feel though when calling me (I'm an insurance agent now & get calls 24/7) & can't pronounce my name! It's v.v. unusual. I don't think I know anyone with 'made-up' names. In Florida, it's very diverse & most people are American, but down the line somewhee, they've com from another country. (I think that's the whole US!) :haha:

when I was looking up names for Jaxon I would find names and the meaning listed on them was "made up" and a lot names I here I had never heard of before and I think they are madeup. One of my co-workers is named Jomaque, and she said IT IS made up!

I don't think you're ignorant at all it's just a shame you think that and would write off a whole language.

In general reply to the thread, Celtic names are common in Scotland also. My DD is Niamh and I've never had to spell her name once, or help anyone with pronunciation. However when I go to England, people want to turn my name from Nicola to Nichola so I have to always spell my name. Also, in all the years I lived abroad no one ever pronounced it correct once. No matter where you go in the world, even the simplest names will need to be spelled out sometimes. Name your children what you want, and what you find beautiful because they are your children.

Well said Avalanche. At the end of the day all that matters is that your OH and you love your children's names, and hopefully they will too.

I hate the whole group of Aiden names, sounds soft. also hate names that are regular words...hope, faith, etc., and names that are used on both sexes...Darcy, Jamie etc.

Dont like place names like Paris, India, China, etc

Names that have useless extra letters, like an h at the end of sara, drives me nuts. Also dont like these ones

Kelsey
Chelsea
Britney
Olivia
McKenna
McKenzie
Morgan
Kristen
Rachel or rachelle
Paula
Gina
Brianna
Brenna
Tara
Shayna
Sheena

for boys I dislike

Peter
Caleb
Joshua
brent
harrison
Cameron
Alex
Brady
Brody... actually I dont like and boy names that end in y or ie...sounds too cutesy and soft for a boy.
Zach
Spencer
and any 3 letter name starting with an 'r' aka rob, ray, roy, ron, etc. everyone ive met by those names was a tool.

No offense to those who like these, or are named these, or like someone with those names.

I hate the whole group of Aiden names, sounds soft. also hate names that are regular words...hope, faith, etc., and names that are used on both sexes...Darcy, Jamie etc.

Dont like place names like Paris, India, China, etc

Names that have useless extra letters, like an h at the end of sara, drives me nuts. Also dont like these ones

Kelsey
Chelsea
Britney
Olivia
McKenna
McKenzie
Morgan
Kristen
Rachel or rachelle
Paula
Gina
Brianna
Brenna
Tara
Shayna
Sheena

for boys I dislike

Peter
Caleb
Joshua
brent
harrison
Cameron
Alex
Brady
Brody... actually I dont like and boy names that end in y or ie...sounds too cutesy and soft for a boy.
Zach
Spencer
and any 3 letter name starting with an 'r' aka rob, ray, roy, ron, etc. everyone ive met by those names was a tool.

No offense to those who like these, or are named these, or like someone with those names.

'sara' and 'sarah' can be completely different.

sara can be pronounced - Sa - ra

sarah can be pronounced - sar - AH

personally i don't hate any names. i love irish names.

I'm not a big fan of names such as Amy-lee, Cindy-lee etc. I dont mean to offend anyone but they remind me a bit of neds and what they would name their kids (at least in my town that seems to be the case!)

My name is Lucille. It's pretty old fashioned and not many of them about now. I've always been called Lucie though which is a bit better.

My daughter's name is Aria and I dont think there are to many Aria's around either. We have one of those annoyingly spelled different middle names for her which is Mai (May). I know it could be spelled the correct way but we both liked this spelling and it went well so Aria Mai she is although they are 2 seperate names so she will be known as just Aria:winkwink:.

xxx

I'm not a big fan of names such as Amy-lee, Cindy-lee etc. I dont mean to offend anyone but they remind me a bit of neds and what they would name their kids (at least in my town that seems to be the case!)

My name is Lucille. It's pretty old fashioned and not many of them about now. I've always been called Lucie though which is a bit better.

My daughter's name is Aria and I dont think there are to many Aria's around either. We have one of those annoyingly spelled different middle names for her which is Mai (May). I know it could be spelled the correct way but we both liked this spelling and it went well so Aria Mai she is although they are 2 seperate names so she will be known as just Aria:winkwink:.

xxx

Such a lovely name! goes really well and iv never heard it either :thumbup:

The only thing I dislike seeing is traditional names taken and spelt as they sound. They are beautiful as they are, and spelling them phonetically makes it looks like the parents didn't know how to spell it.

xxx

I think Mai is a nice spelling, it's unusual but still known :)

Not trying to offend anyone... just curious as to what names some people dislike.

I can't stand names like Jayden/Aiden/Hayden/Kaden. Not even because every kid seems to be named one of those nowadays. They're cute names for like, toddlers but it's an immature/unproffesional name for an adult.

my son is called jayden :rofl: i love it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"