What are the chances?

Deethehippy

TTC a miracle before menopause
Reaction score
Hello Ladies
I have not been in here for many years (since when I was conceiving my twins)
I have had unprotected sex what turned out to be 3 days before ovulation. We DTD on the Friday night and on Monday lunchtime I felt the ovulation pains on my right side. This ovulation was earlier than I had expected and we thought we were relatively safe because of my age.
I am very worried because I am 46 next February and OH is 54 and we had accepted that we were a little old for anymore children (I also have two teens so 4 children altogether)
My question is : what are the chances of pregnancy at my age with sex once 3 days before ovulation? I have cheapie tests here and I tested yesterday at 5dpo and it was BFN but obviously I realise that was probably way too early! Period is due one week tomorrow.
Don't get me wrong, I love babies and I would never not want a pregnancy but would be very worried about the risks associated with my age.
Am i worrying unnecessarily?
Thank you :)

The chance is not as high as it would be had it been 1-2 days before ovulation, but there is still a pretty decent chance of pregnancy 3 days before O-day. Did you notice any EWCM that day? If so, his swimmers have a good chance of staying inside your body up to 5 days, waiting for that eggo. But also to take into consideration is the fact that in general, for man women, it is definitely more difficult to conceive past the age of 40. Best of luck whatever the outcome, do keep us posted! <3

The chance is not as high as it would be had it been 1-2 days before ovulation, but there is still a pretty decent chance of pregnancy 3 days before O-day. Did you notice any EWCM that day? If so, his swimmers have a good chance of staying inside your body up to 5 days, waiting for that eggo. But also to take into consideration is the fact that in general, for man women, it is definitely more difficult to conceive past the age of 40. Best of luck whatever the outcome, do keep us posted! <3

Thank you for your reply - Yes I definitely had EWCM although I do get it for a good few days before ovulation normally so didn't think too much about it. The CM stopped after the day I think I ovulated :/

Age doesnt matter if you're still ovulating. You have a chance at 3 days before. Im not sure how great or low of a chance though because even for a 18yr old, it's not a drop in the bucket

Not trying to argue at all OnErth&InHvn, but the scientific research definitely confirms that conceiving after the age of 40 is significantly more difficult, even if the woman still ovulates, and even more difficult past 43 (the same goes for men too, btw - after 40 it will be harder for them to get a woman pregnant). Not being a negative nancy, just stating what the research shows :) In this case I thought that fact could be re-assuring for the OP as it seems that they were done having children.

@Deethehippy - Hmm, seeing as EWCM was present during the time you dtd, I would say there is definitely a chance that you might be pregnant although it's hard to say how high. Maybe there is possibly room for one more? :blue: Do keep us updated, curious to see how it goes for you! <3

Not trying to argue at all OnErth&InHvn, but the scientific research definitely confirms that conceiving after the age of 40 is significantly more difficult, even if the woman still ovulates, and even more difficult past 43 (the same goes for men too, btw - after 40 it will be harder for them to get a woman pregnant). Not being a negative nancy, just stating what the research shows :) In this case I thought that fact could be re-assuring for the OP as it seems that they were done having children.

@Deethehippy - Hmm, seeing as EWCM was present during the time you dtd, I would say there is definitely a chance that you might be pregnant although it's hard to say how high. Maybe there is possibly room for one more? :blue: Do keep us updated, curious to see how it goes for you! <3

Just POAS but I am only 6dpo - no lines - but of course would still be early. If we were TTC I'm sure I wouldn't be pregnant lol but I do worry about sods law the other way around. Smiled at your little stork picture because OH had kind of wanted a boy (of course we were more than thrilled with the girls and healthy babies) because his name ends with him.
I'm sure my fertility must be low but people do conceive at my age, Alanis Morrisette just had a baby at 45 naturally :)
I'll keep you updated, thank you for your input.

Little update - I tested negative 11dpo with any old time of day urine on an internet cheapie.
Have not tested since and figured I was probably in the clear but today at 13dpo my boobs are on fire and I just feel 'off'. Yesterday and the day before I had intermittent cramps but nothing today.
AF is due by Wednesday latest and I usually get spotting leading up but so far nothing.
Of course this could just be an erratic cycle due to my age but am getting a little concerned and strangely excited.

Good luck :)

Thank you, not sure if I really want a BFP or not, it's a weird feeling.
It's probably all just my mind getting ahead of reality anyway and AF will show herself tomorrow but time will tell.......

I feel like AF is coming today but nothing as yet. Thank you, I will test on Thursday if nothing by then. (AF due Wednesday latest I think)

Im sorry Dee :( crazy isn't it how even if it wasn't planned at all, or not the right time etc., we still can't help but get so excited at the prospect of possibly being preggy. Even though it didn't happen now, maybe if your heart's really in it, one more little babe could be in store for your near future after all? Could be worth discussing with the hubby! All the best xx :hugs:

Im sorry Dee :( crazy isn't it how even if it wasn't planned at all, or not the right time etc., we still can't help but get so excited at the prospect of possibly being preggy. Even though it didn't happen now, maybe if your heart's really in it, one more little babe could be in store for your near future after all? Could be worth discussing with the hubby! All the best xx :hugs:

Thank you :) AF really hasn't gotten going and my breasts still hurt so then your head starts wondering about implantation bleeding and all sorts of crazy clutching at straw ideas - I know it's far more likely my age and declining hormones are making my cycles wacky. Me and OH have started to talk about things and I think we may decide to NTNP in the future but still not certain yet. I think even if we were really 'trying' each month we'd be lucky to get pregnant but you still have to be responsible about the decision of course.

I've gotten myself into the same situation this month. We DTD late Sunday night and I think I ovulated yesterday or possibly today so 3-4 days before. My ovulation days are coming earlier and earlier (must be my age) so I need to be more careful. I used to ovulate days 18-20 of a 35-36 day cycle but now I ovulate days 13-14 of a 30-31 day cycle. I don't think again there is much chance but will update in 14-16 days if AF is no show! (highly unlikely) I really should know better!

With DD1 I was sure to get a BFN as we DTD on a sunday and didn't ovulate until the wednesday, possibly the thursday. Yet I "knew" I was preggo. Kept testing and sure enough got my BFP!!! This was my 3rd pregnancy, and the 1st one I was able to carry to term!! This unexpected BFP is now a beautiful and smart 6 year old girl. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->