What are the worst reasons people have suggested to you as reasons for you to quit BF

crownest

Reaction score
I've EBF my DS for the past six months but the closer he gets to 6 months Im getting asked more frequently when am I going to stop. I usually brush it off and say it's working now so I'll see how it goes but tonight I was feeding and my SIL just said he looks so big the breastfeeding doesn't look right anymore!!! WTF (excuse the language)he is still only little. I'm secretly going to try to feed until he is one but Im afraid to tell people because of the comments. The top five stupid reasons I've being advised to stop and give him a bottle are as follows 1, my boobs are lopsided and will get saggier (fair enough maybe I need a trip to m&s ) 2, I could drink more often because I really want to go out on mad sessions and get up hungover with a baby 3, I'll make him needy 4, He will sleep better. He slept through the night from 7 weeks to 19 weeks since then feeds every 3 hours through the night I'm tired but will get over it 5, it's OK when they are small but looks funny when they get older. People have stopped saying he needs a bottle because he is hungry because he has gotten big and chubby but someone did tell me bf babies are always hungry and skinny because breast milk doesn't give them enough nutrition.

My breast fed baby has slept a damn site better than my bottle babies ever did since the day he was born haha! My mum told me to just give him a bottle just because I don't feel comfortable feeding in front of her so I go upstairs! People say so I can get a better nights sleep too. It is easier breastfeeding in the night than it is bottle feeding. Before he was born my goal was to his 6 months but soon as we got into the swing of things I decided to go for 12 months. I am just waiting for the rubbish of family. OH's parents have been going on about a lady who has chosen to breast feed past 12 months saying it isn't right!

I stopped bf my DS 2 years ago and he still doesnt sleep through so they can keep that one!
I had alsort like he is too big, he doesnt need it now he has solids, you can't drink. All very boring and unconvincing. We BF for 16 months. Ignore them!

I had a mother of three (breastfed all three) tell me I should stop at 18months because then I wouldn't be tired as she'd stop waking at night. When I did finally stop (27months - your sister would be horrified!) it still took another 6months for her to start sleeping through!

I thought I'd stop at a year because I thought that's what happened but when we got there she was still my little baby - she couldn't walk and hadn't said her first word yet and I just though "This works. Why would I stop?". My mum asked me when I was planning to stop and I told her I wan't planning anything, just doing what worked day to day. After that I think she felt a bit sad that she felt pressured to stop at 1yr and jealous (not in a nasty way) that I was able to keep going.

I've EBF my DS for the past six months but the closer he gets to 6 months Im getting asked more frequently when am I going to stop. I usually brush it off and say it's working now so I'll see how it goes but tonight I was feeding and my SIL just said he looks so big the breastfeeding doesn't look right anymore!!! WTF (excuse the language)he is still only little. I'm secretly going to try to feed until he is one but Im afraid to tell people because of the comments. The top five stupid reasons I've being advised to stop and give him a bottle are as follows 1, my boobs are lopsided and will get saggier (fair enough maybe I need a trip to m&s ) 2, I could drink more often because I really want to go out on mad sessions and get up hungover with a baby 3, I'll make him needy 4, He will sleep better. He slept through the night from 7 weeks to 19 weeks since then feeds every 3 hours through the night I'm tired but will get over it 5, it's OK when they are small but looks funny when they get older. People have stopped saying he needs a bottle because he is hungry because he has gotten big and chubby but someone did tell me bf babies are always hungry and skinny because breast milk doesn't give them enough nutrition.

1. Pregnancy makes breasts sag, not breastfeeding - you've already gone and done that part!
2. You can drink and breastfeed, you cannot go out on mad sessions. This is unhealthy anyway. Have a glass of wine or a drink with dinner and enjoy it, don't get completely effed up. You are a parent and need to be responsible to take care of your child if something happened during the night or something!
3. Babies who get their needs met are LESS needy. I promise.
4. My 1 year old sleeps better (who I nurse during the night if she wakes) than my 3 year old (who I don't nurse during the night).
5. They can get over it.

Oh btw, I still nurse both my kids. If she thinks your 6 month old looks big breastfeeding, she should see my 3 year old. :wacko:

Breastmilk gives them ideal nutrition through all stages of breastfeeding. Breastmilk changes to meet the nutritional needs of your child. Breastmilk for a a 1 week old is different than breastmilk for a 1 year old. Formula, for the most part, stays the same. It is 'averaged out' to generally meet the nutritional needs for an age range. It is an acceptable choice, but is not as taylored to the individual child.

I would personally not care what people said about me breastfeeding, and worry more about the health and happiness of my child. But I know being a new mom can be overwhelming. Is there a way you can surround yourself with more supportive people? It sounds like the people you are around are pretty uninformed and unsupportive.

1. Pregnancy makes breasts sag, not breastfeeding - you've already gone and done that part!
2. You can drink and breastfeed, you cannot go out on mad sessions. This is unhealthy anyway. Have a glass of wine or a drink with dinner and enjoy it, don't get completely effed up. You are a parent and need to be responsible to take care of your child if something happened during the night or something!
4. My 1 year old sleeps better (who I nurse during the night if she wakes) than my 3 year old (who I don't nurse during the night).
5. They can get over it.

Oh btw, I still nurse both my kids. If she thinks your 6 month old looks big breastfeeding, she should see my 3 year old. :wacko:

Breastmilk gives them ideal nutrition through all stages of breastfeeding. Breastmilk changes to meet the nutritional needs of your child. Breastmilk for a a 1 week old is different than breastmilk for a 1 year old. Formula, for the most part, stays the same. It is 'averaged out' to generally meet the nutritional needs for an age range. It is an acceptable choice, but is not as taylored to the individual child.

I would personally not care what people said about me breastfeeding, and worry more about the health and happiness of my child. But I know being a new mom can be overwhelming. Is there a way you can surround yourself with more supportive people? It sounds like the people you are around are pretty uninformed and unsupportive.

Luckily I take it all with a pinch of salt I nod say nothing and keep doing what I want. I find it funny the notions people have about bf and I guess that's why I made the post. If i was more unsure I may have caved earlier I did have wobbly period when he was 13 weeks but I got some great advise on here and a cousin randomly called me to check in and gave me really good support. My mother and father are very supportive . My mother and all my aunts bf and so did alot of my cousins I guess it's a family thing but they don't live close. 3 of my friends who saw me bf have now decided to give it a go with their new babies 1 said she didn't think about bf as no one she know did it and she loves it after a difficult start.

5. They can get over it.

Luckily I take it all with a pinch of salt I nod say nothing and keep doing what I want. I find it funny the notions people have about bf and I guess that's why I made the post. If i was more unsure I may have caved earlier I did have wobbly period when he was 13 weeks but I got some great advise on here and a cousin randomly called me to check in and gave me really good support. My mother and father are very supportive . My mother and all my aunts bf and so did alot of my cousins I guess it's a family thing but they don't live close. 3 of my friends who saw me bf have now decided to give it a go with their new babies 1 said she didn't think about bf as no one she know did it and she loves it after a difficult start.

Was going to say what misspriss did (although I only have the one LO). BTW natural weaning allows your milk ducts to shrink and redeposit the fat whereas sudden weaning gives you empty bags so to speak.
Yes it's preposterous what kind of notions people have abt breastfeeding like it's a dirty sin or something because OMG boobs !?
Keep the supportive people around you and vent with them whenever you feel frustrated. But don't stop BF and NIP as long as you can stand it. We need to normalize extended breastfeeding culture

I just read this and am so angry!! :growlmad: Why are they being so mean?! I don't have any babies (yet, ttc) but I have always been a firm believer in BF! What a shock that people would be so rude. It is your baby, and you will do as you see fit. They can do whatever they want with their own kid, but since it's yours they need to butt out. And 6 months is NOT too big or too old, and even if he was, how is that any of their concern?

My SIL is BF my 1 year old nephew, and I am the only person (besides my brother) that she feels comfortable BF in front of without a cover. I think it is beautiful, and wonderful that she is nourishing her baby with natures best. How in the heck are people under the impression that BF babies aren't getting proper nutrition?! I don't know about you but all the formula babies I have ever seen are much skinnier and smaller than the BF babies. My sister has twins that she formula feeds and they are much smaller than my other nephew (Maybe because they started off smaller, but still, there is a noticeable difference).

I've got your back girl, you tell them to back off. :gun: Opinions are like A$$holes, everyone has one. Stay strong lady, you are doing a wonderful job, don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

I can't wait to see what my mom says about extended breast feeding. She already wants me to start formula at 6 months. I told her if DD is still lactose intolerant at that age the formula would be hella expensive. With my DS who was a formula baby she was on me to give bottles of cow's milk at 6 months (I didn't).

Most of those reasons are about the person who said them and not your situation!

I only bf for a week with my lo but want to try again with this one.

The main reasons were that lo had lost so much birth weight and was only doing one wet nappy a day. When we gave her some formula this really improved so to me it seemed as if it was for baby's health. Also my mum was really worried about me as the baby blues hit and I was really upset with feeding not going well and I couldn't sleep so she though oh being able to feed lo in the night would improve my physical and mental health. Oh hated seeing me so upset too so encouraged me to stop

Sorry I read that as what are the reasons not the worst reasons.

To be honest the worst reason was saying it was so hubby could help when he never did! He kept sleeping through her waking or falling asleep again

To be honest the worst reason was saying it was so hubby could help when he never did! He kept sleeping through her waking or falling asleep again

Oh yes this! By the time I shook him, he got up (sooooo slowly) went to get/warm the expressed milk etc. I was already wide awake and thinking I should have just breastfed her!

Oh yes this! By the time I shook him, he got up (sooooo slowly) went to get/warm the expressed milk etc. I was already wide awake and thinking I should have just breastfed her!

Yep this too he once came back and I was feeding him I just said you took too long this was easier !

I would never judge anyone else's reason to stop when it's your choice as I think whatever works for you and your baby is best, the post was more for what people had being told by other people why they should stop or silly advice they had being given.

Someone once told me that my baby was feeding too much as I might have 'watery breast milk' so it wasn't satisfying my LO :wacko:

Also when my LO was fussy at around 4 months they told me she might be weaning herself. How could she possibly know what other options were available?! As it is, she's still feeding 4 years on so safe to say that one was untrue :rofl:

People have just left me to it this time round and I've not had any negative feeding comments from anyone.

People often say breastmilk lack nutrition after six months(what is my mother-in-law often say. She also doesn't approve of children playing water in the bathroom, but today I let my daughter did play water.) .I am still BF (my daughter is 15 months old currently)bc I stick to what I thik is right.

People often say breastmilk lack nutrition after six months(what is my mother-in-law often say. She also doesn't approve of children playing water in the bathroom, but today I let my daughter did play water.) .I am still BF (my daughter is 15 months old currently)bc I stick to what I thik is right.

But regretfully, my 15-month-old daughter(Breastfed)does't sleep well since her birth. She wakes about three time per night, even if the conditioner is on and she have had enuf solid food. I sleep very BAD! Why? (Though it is hard, I am willing to go on breastfeeding...)

I breastfeed all mine for years. At the start every one had their opinions. I ignored them then F(cked some off. Then they left me alone. Simple. Literally left me alone. Now I dont hear any more crappy comments.

I'm still breastfeeding and he is almost 17 months. I do give him bottles when out in public (cows milk now rather than formula as he is old enough) as I dont want people staring at me, also, he tends to think I'm a tree he can climb all over when he feeds - i get a foot or fist in the face, fingers dug into my armpits, he'll climb around while still attached... I can just imagine the looks I'd get tying to breastfeed in public when he does that! I'm lucky in the way that family dont live close and I only have 1 friend, so I dont get pressured to stop, but I cant understand why people will shame you for not breastfeeding in the beginning, and then turn around and say you need to stop now, they're old enough after 12 months... people need to just keep their comments to themselves! Go for as long as you want.

Also, I've tried both breastfeeding at night, and giving bottles. Neither made him sleep longer. He still wont sleep through except on the rare occasion, but I think a lot of it comes down to your babys personality, not what they are fed. My son is constantly go go go, its a real struggle to get him to sleep, its like he thinks he'll miss out on something if he goes to sleep. It'll happen in time, when he's ready and not a minute before lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->