What are you planning on wearing??

Gem13

Reaction score
Hi ladies

it's getting to that time where I need to think of packing the old hospital bag but I just don't know what to take for giving birth in?!

When I had baby #1 I bought a cheap nightie but didn't even take it out of the bag, just wore my vest top to go with pj's. Don't want to take nothing and then be naked.....as if that's my biggest concern :wacko:

Also - what are you planning on wearing for 'after'? I'm not really a nightie person, bought a great pair of maternity pj's which i wear all the time so I'm hoping I can just take those - but don't want to pack them as I wear them now???

Suggestions on a postcard please?

I'm going to get a cheap nightie to give birth in, although when I had my daughter I ended up wearing a hospital night shirt as I had the epidural so needed something with an open back.

For after birth, and leading up to the birth I want some comfortable pyjama pants and a vest top or something.

I just have a cheap nightie from Primark; same as last time.
I've just got another nightie and dressing gown to wear afterwards. Hope to be out the same day so won't be in it long!

I've bought a dressing gown but I'll probably end up naked. It'll just be my husband and the staff in there so I don't have to worry about covering up for a friend, MIL or anything like that.

As for after the birth, I've packed leggings. Our hospital is close to the town centre so I can always ask DH to pick up something else if they're not comfortable. X

I've taken some pj/jog bottoms for afterwards. Then just nursing tops for when leaving.

I was in pool for dd then pulled out and ended up naked. Was naked for hours as was abandoned in room and forgotten about despite losing over 2 litres of blood and not slept for 60+ hours, daughter left out of reach, instructed not to get out of bed and buzzer was dropped. I had blanket to try to cover me but was waiting to get taken for wash (as dd poo-ed on me for 3 times after birth as told not to walk from fear of blackout from blood loss) but by time anyone came to me nobody was available so was told to 'freshen up in sink' and a porter walked me round to post natal ward.

I've taken some pj/jog bottoms for afterwards. Then just nursing tops for when leaving.

I was in pool for dd then pulled out and ended up naked. Was naked for hours as was abandoned in room and forgotten about despite losing over 2 litres of blood and not slept for 60+ hours, daughter left out of reach, instructed not to get out of bed and buzzer was dropped. I had blanket to try to cover me but was waiting to get taken for wash (as dd poo-ed on me for 3 times after birth as told not to walk from fear of blackout from blood loss) but by time anyone came to me nobody was available so was told to 'freshen up in sink' and a porter walked me round to post natal ward.

OMGOSH! im so sad to know you went through that!! What a horrible experience. That should have been one of the most beautiful times of your life! Im SO SORRY! What is wrong with that hospital?!? Thank God you and baby are alive and well!

I plan to wear a hospital gown during delivery. Then after I clean up and shower i have bought new super soft and loose fitting pj pants. And a zip up teeshirt style hoodie for nursing. And a new pair of suede moccasin slippers. I think I will be cozy. I also think im going to buy another set of stretch fleece pj's. I just got some and cant stop wearing them. They are so so cozy!

Ginger, i just cant stop reading your post over and over. And feeling so horrible about the way you were treated there. What can be done in UK about that? An American would have a MAJOR lawsuit against that facility. Your loved ones as well as that hospital are lucky that they didnt lose you!! Please tell me you will be going to a different hospital this time??

Ginger, i just cant stop reading your post over and over. And feeling so horrible about the way you were treated there. What can be done in UK about that? An American would have a MAJOR lawsuit against that facility. Your loved ones as well as that hospital are lucky that they didnt lose you!! Please tell me you will be going to a different hospital this time??

Yes, we made formal complaints and investigation was made. We took it no further though as just wanted to raise to management there was simply not enough staff on (another lady had life tnreatening emergency in next room which pulled all available staff, and was staff change over at weekend, and staff were ill etc)

We're not going back to that hospital. OH made it clear he wouodn't let me go back there so we're travelling to next one. Thankfully the next one is only a few minutes in opposite direction so it's no great biggy to go to that one instead. Hoping for a better experience this time.

I've bought a cheap nightie and then got my normal pjs to wear after.

Naked during delivery? I don't care much for clothes and I think they might just get in the way during birth, getting in and out of the shower etc. I seriously couldn't care less.
I'm taking some yoga pants and sweatshirts for afterwards, but might just stay in the hospital gowns they give. Depends how well/bad I feel. Or how much I care about the way I look afterwards!

:hugs: ginger. I went to hospital in my jammies, changed into my nightie then afterwards I think I took more jammies and some dresses with leggings. Ooh and some lovely big granny knickers I bought from marks and spencer - they were great for maternity pads! Xx

Ginger - you have my jaw dropped. I understand that things come up, but that was horrendous!! I'm so sorry! If they were that short-staffed, they should have pulled in staff from nearby hospitals. :(

If I can, I'll deliver naked. That wasn't the plan with DS, but when it came time, I cried because I had to wear a hospital gown. It's funny how constrictive they can feel though they're so loose! If it ends up being hospital policy that I wear SOMETHING, I have a nursing bra I'll throw on.

After, I have a series of black yoga pants to wear (I bled everywhere, last time, so black bottoms only for me!). I also packed a little makeup (if I'm feeling up to it) so I don't look quite so deathly in pictures later. xx

Yes, we made formal complaints and investigation was made. We took it no further though as just wanted to raise to management there was simply not enough staff on (another lady had life tnreatening emergency in next room which pulled all available staff, and was staff change over at weekend, and staff were ill etc)

We're not going back to that hospital. OH made it clear he wouodn't let me go back there so we're travelling to next one. Thankfully the next one is only a few minutes in opposite direction so it's no great biggy to go to that one instead. Hoping for a better experience this time.

Its unreal that they would let a patient get put in that position. They almost had two life threatening situations on their hands. I would have done the same as far as telling someone so that it doesnt happen to another woman or infant. Im also happy that you have the option to go to another hospital. I live in such a small town that there is only one hospital. The next one is 3hrs away. My sil was left in her room bleeding out into the toilet. They "forgot" to deliver her placenta. Causing her to pass out several times from blood loss. She needed a transfusion and was feeling better. She complained to hospital admin. Suing the hospital only reduces their funds to staff more people and better staff so it makes no sense to me to sue for money. I know there such thi bbc.co g as human error but there is no excuse for the neglect you endured.

I never thought about buying a nighty to give birth in, with my other labors I wore hospital gowns that they give you and they end up being covered in blood,waters, and all the other grossness from ivs and labor..... I am happy to toss it aside as soon as baby comes out!! After the baby I make sure to bring a couple pj outfits and sweat pants, robes , and slippers.... Don't forget the slippers!!!! There's nothing more yucky than walking around a hospital barefoot or in socks !

I also suggest bringing your own undies and pads! The hospital gives us these mesh undies that feel like ur leaking 24/7 from the breeze lol and the pads they give you are sooooo overwhelmingly huge lol.

I was planning to just wear a hospital gown (or nothing, if I ended up preferring that) because it's such a messy business and I don't want to ruin an outfit or deal with birth laundry. But DH got wind at the hospital orientation that it's highly recommended by a lot of midwives and doulas to bring something comfortable that won't make you feel like a patient, so he's encouraging me to find something and said he'll deal with the laundry. So we'll see. I'll at least take a look. If I go the waterbirth route, I have a maternity tankini top I can bring, and maybe I'll order a couple more comfy nursing bras and wear one of those in the tub.

I have a few comfy old nightgowns that will be good for nursing, and my maternity yoga pants for after. I think I'll be pretty happy to stay in pajamas until it's time to go home, and then I'll just wear something that feels like pajamas ;)

I'll be as naked as my baby. I can't imagine wearing clothes or anything remotely restricting during labour. My skin was so sensitive last time it would have hurt to wear clothes. I think I started out in a hospital gown though and I probably will this time too.

Krulci, why should that be a policy?!
I would be shocked if it was!

I'll hopefully be at home in the pool so I imagine my maternity nursing tankini top or nothing.
I wore very little/naked in labour with ds and got dressed to go to hospital it was a rush I birthed in the top I arrived in and just took it off for skin to skin and nursing.
Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->