What can B-HCG tells about Pregnancy and what can't?

Lab Scientist

Reaction score
Just started this as my first thread and I wish I can explain the abilities of home pregnancy tests, I am a dad of two with my precious wife :hugs:.

Human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) is a hormone that is produced by the placenta of women who are pregnant.

It is detectable in the blood and urine only within 10 days of fertilization. All blood tests can give you reliable results only after these first 10 days.

After the fertilized egg implants, or attaches, to the inside of the uterus or other structure inside the mother, the levels of human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) rise rapidly.

The levels continue to increase throughout the first trimester of pregnancy and reach a peak 60 to 80 days after the fertilized egg implants.

Here's more clarifications about what to expect from a pregnancy test?

B-HCG trends can be a good information for doctor and mother as well, but the single result can’t be.

HCG is different than B-HCG, most rapid home tests can detect HCG which is consists of both alpha and beta subunits, while B-HCG-specific-tests can discover only the beta-subunit that is in pregnancy hormone.

Normal B-HCG doubling time is more than 60% every 48 hours, less than 60% can be a sign of abnormalities, but need for more testing to confirm.

More babies mean higher levels of this hormone: High doubling numbers with heart beat on sonography can be a strong evidence of Twins, although Twins pregnancy can show B-HCG numbers that seen while singleton.

Molar and Ectopic B-HCG levels tend to rise at a lower rate, and then plateau or even decline.

HCG might be the culprit responsible for morning sickness and nausea which makes a woman very sensitive to smells and tastes.

B-HCG test in urine detect B-HCG hormone 2-4 days slower than in a blood sample, due to the fact that the pregnancy hormone takes more time to be increased and expelled in urine.

There is a huge range of what's normal B-HCG level: the reason is that in normal pregnancies, it's likely that there is a such a wide range because different women have different placentas, each with different functional abilities.

Consequently, some women start their pregnancy with rapid B-HCG doubling while others show slow peaking time.

HPT reliability: Common cutoffs for positive blood tests for pregnancy are 5, 10, and 25 units. A level under 5 is considered negative. A blood test that is only triggered at 25 units of human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) is not any more sensitive than several of the home pregnancy tests.

Hope you get understand your HCG levels and have healthy babies :cloud9:.

To be honest Lab scientist, it's appreciated you sharing this info but most if not nearly all ladies on here are already experts in how all this works!

To be honest Lab scientist, it's appreciated you sharing this info but most if not nearly all ladies on here are already experts in how all this works!

Just wanted to share something useful, I hope someone can suggest something else.. thanks all

To be fair there's been loads of questions about HCG and how far along it means someone is and is it rising ok etc? So not everyone here knows. I imagine labscientist has come looking for another question and thought he could help answer a lot of the questions he's seen in one post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->