What can I take for heartburn?

Sarah125

Reaction score
Sure this has been asked before but I'm starting to get really bad heartburn after meals.

What is safe to take? And is there any way to avoid getting heartburn?

Thank you :thumbup:

I started off with rennies and gaviscon. Mines now got so bad that gaviscon doesn't touch it and I'm on a prescription medicine from my mw. Still doesn't prevent it, but helps ease it. Still munching rennies throughout the day. It can't really be avoided completely, lay of spicy foods, caffeine/fizzy drinks can aggravate it, milk/yoghurts can help. I find I get it no matter what though.

You can get gaviscon for free on prescription from you GP. I find it rank though and feel sick after taking it! lol
For me Tums and milk help :)

I've been on a prescription med called protonic and it has worked for me.

i get gaviscon on prescription, only thing that helps me :)

i get heartburn throughout the night...basically every time i roll over....some nights i'll have a small bowl of ice cream before bed....doesn't always help for the whole night but it does make it a little better....and i eat tums....they are right next the bed just within my reach so that when i do roll over and it starts to burn i can eat one or two...i use the extra strength tums too...and the flavoured ones...i find them way too disgusting otherwise
can't really avoid the heartburn though...only ease it...there's too much pressure on our systems now that it usually makes heartburn inevitable :(

I've been taking Zantac, but I also read lemon water is helpful. I have been drinking it steady now, and I actually think it is helping! Lots of lemon!

My obgyn told me to take Ranitidine (Zantac), and it has done wonders for my heartburn. I also have acid reflux and it helps with that too!

Tums worked for me for awhile, but now I no longer can take them due to the chalk taste getting to me. I told my doctor and he has me taking Pepcid now (I wanted to double check it was okay to take). I have been taking it since Thursday. Thursday and Friday I needed to take two (can only take 2 every 24 hours), and then Saturday and Sunday only needed to take one. So it seems to be helping a lot! Otherwise I was getting it with tums every three hours or so after taking a tum.

Gaviscon is definitely safe to take.

Ask your midwife though as you will get something on prescription. She gave me a prescription but it was a liquid type of gaviscon but aniseed flavour and it was foul!!

I'm back on the gaviscon which I just buy myself. xx

I took Tums, but usually only 2 at most, because they could cause calcification of the placenta plus kidney stones. Changing your diet up a bit can also help.

Thanks everyone. Will get myself a prescription for Gaviscon from the GP. I didn't realise you could get it on prescription so will save myself a bit of money :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->