What Can She Have & NOT Have? Main Meals For 16+ Months

Wobbles

BnB Co-Founder ~ Retired
Reaction score
Ok so I was VERY lazy! Caitlin eats plenty of good stuff snacks finger foods etc but the main dinner time was always the jars and tubs for toddler - well they are pricey but it suited esspecially with being constantly tired ran down and then heavily pregnancy whist carrying Megan so yes I made life simple now I'm wondering how I move on from this!

Jars and sauces made up etc were a no no at one point & things like normal gravey so is this still the case? I sometimes make meals up for us like spag bol etc with these for easy life depending on how the day goes ...

What does your LO have/did have at this age as main meal?

Did you make foods up and freeze still at this stage?

Did you blend up a little still? Or were there certain foods you let LO feed themselves - like maqybe sausages.

Are chips a no? Oven of course! I'm purely thinking surely it comes a time where they aren't on 'baby food' now!

HELP?! :blush: Recipe freezing ideas etc etc all welcome. Anything that helps me to move on is helpful x

From about 12 mths I just mashed home made food and all my kids ate that.Every few days I would cook finger foods,ie chips,nuggets,sausages,green beans,carrot etc to get them used to it and I think around the 16/17 mth mark I just chopped up the food in to tiny pieces and then from 20 months it was just mini sized adult portions.Very messy at times but it worked.I hated the stage you are in now.I always worried about variety,if they were getting enough food and texture.I always said if they are hungry they will eat as much as they can.If they don't eat then rest assured they can have milk before bed.

Hope this was a small help xxxx

Milks a problem for my Caitlin - Hates it! lol! Its part why I stuck with jars because its filled with all they need and no crap but hey we all move on to crap soon right :rofl: Ok I don't mean deep fried foods just none baby stuff.

she loves pasta etc but I'm assuming I can't use jars to make these dishes and gravey on sausage and mash etc? Like I say if its a case of having what we're having it won't always be suitable if its a non no!

I was told at Decs 15 month review that they could eat anything at that age, anything within reason. Dec has been eating the same main meal as us since he was 12-13 months. I really dont think there is anything you need to steer clear of at this age xx

Forgot to say Dec's not to keen on milk either, I was told to just give more Dairy products and put cheese on anything you can. Dec gets cheese on everything :rofl::rofl:

we're not this far into feeding but i think it's more watching things like salt and sugar intake with things like gravy and sauces etc. Boots do some stock cubes that have no added salt and we use them. Everything in moderation :hugs:

Sainsburys sell a range of gravys,casserole sauces,cheese and pasta sauce for 4mths - 36 mths.that any help?

Also my son wouldnt drink milk so i put a small teaspoon of milkshake powder in.Not sure if allowed but it worked x

Ryan will have everything that we have now. He'll feed himself things like scrambled egg on toast, roasts (only cut the veg and meat into bitesize pieces), shepherds pie, etc. I feed him the more sloppy stuff - soup, etc. We always save a few veggies/mash/etc - if we know we're eating something the next day that will be a bit too difficult for him to eat, or having takeaway, etc -and he'll have them with a bit of gravy/cheese sauce/beans.

Forgot to say Dec's not to keen on milk either, I was told to just give more Dairy products and put cheese on anything you can. Dec gets cheese on everything :rofl::rofl:
She does't like cheese either Ive bought cheese sticks kids cheese ranges from Sainsburys etc and nope no go! :dohh: lol

Sainsburys sell a range of gravys,casserole sauces,cheese and pasta sauce for 4mths - 36 mths.that any help?

Also my son wouldnt drink milk so i put a small teaspoon of milkshake powder in.Not sure if allowed but it worked x
Those sauces are pricey for a one meal a day I thought thats why I'm part thinking of these but freezing meals :D

Can I cook and freeze pasta? :blush: I assume so!

Milkshake thing LOL I tried that - doesn't work either even gave her hot chocolate one night! Have you seen those small yoggy drinks for kids from munch bunch? She so so likes them one night she'll drink it all the next drink none of it so hit and miss but lots of goodness in them (pure into her beaker).

Bloody hell!!!! Yes pasta frozen is ok x

Bloody hell?? Because nothing works? lol

I'm thinking of trying milky coffee next ....joke haha!

Pasta can go a bit rubbery if you freeze it hun
She can eat more or less what you are eating, but if she is a big pasta fan, like Jack is, make just batches of suace for her, then defrost in microwave whilst pasta boiling

I still make my own sauce for Jack and cram it with loads of veggies

The one i have got in at the minute is Chicken, sweetcorn, red and yellow peppers, broccoli and courgette

2 Chicken breasts
2 tins of Toms with herbs
tin sweetcorn
! red pepper
1 Yellow pepper
1 courgette
1red onion

Roast your chicken in oven, then when cooled shred it
Roast your veggies in little olive oil ( tastes better than boiled or steamed)
Whack it all in blender with tomatoes and sweetcorn and jobs a good un :)

A nice way to make another sauce is with creme fraiche cheese and cauliflower and broccoli.
It is nicest with Macoroni pasta

chop Cauli and broccoli into smal peices and boil with your pasta

whilst this is boiling put your creme fraiche in a bowl over boiling water stir your cheese into it will make sauce
Drain pasta and veg and add this sauce, if you want to batch it and freeze take the pasta off the boil before really cooked( will soften more when reheated)

You could add ham to that or chicken

yea we freeze pasta in sauce tho we blend it up. when i come to reheat it though i may put a little spot of tomato puree and water in just to revive the flavour a bit

Olivia eats pretty much what we eat now and has since she turned one. I some times buy the toddler pots for convenience say for example if im going into town for luch or what ever.

I give Olivia gravy and such things I wouldnt really say there isnt anything I dont give her... apart from suasages. But thats only because ive been put off sausages for life when I saw the program on TV about all the connective tissue and stuff that goes in, although if you buy decent ones it tells you the meat content which is fine but its just out me off for life, but nursery give her sausage and mash

Some thing really easy which she loves is those fish in butter sauce. All I do with them then is do some new potatoes, brocolli, cauli & peas or other veggies what evers in at the time and cut it all into bite size peices and she eats her meals herself.

Olivia even loves stir fried vegetables with noodles, I often do chicken in my stir frys but she likes it with out too.

x

Livvy has everything we have. Including gravy.
Normally has something quick at lunch like a sandwich or tin of macaroni cheese then i will make something for tea like spag bol, stew, stir fry, curry, lasagne etc. I cant really think of anything she doesnt have. Started to give her honey too.
I also dont mash or blend her meals up at all now. I cut things like fish fingers in half & always give her a fork. She has just started to use the fork. Theres only a odd meal apart from breakfast that i feed her.

What does your LO have/did have at this age as main meal? He eats whatever we do really, loves sandwiches, pastas, rice, meats, anything.

Did you make foods up and freeze still at this stage? nope

Did you blend up a little still? Or were there certain foods you let LO feed themselves - like maqybe sausages. He eats everything just "how it comes" I don't puree anything, I do cut into small pieces and he eats with a fork on his own now...he is 19mo but has done this for months

Are chips a no? Oven of course! I'm purely thinking surely it comes a time where they aren't on 'baby food' now! We let Hayden have them sometimes, but not often

On nights we don't eat very good I will make him a seperate meal so it's healthier, he loves egg noodles cooked in chicken broth, with diced chicken and veggies...probably his favorite meal. I season it with some garlic powder and pepper too

Moving on is hard hun :( Its like you're between the devil and the deep blue sea :dohh:

I use gravy at least once a week, sometimes twice but use the reduced salt one, Katie hates the baby ones; she can tell the difference :lol:

At Caitlin's age Katie loved and still loves chopped up sausage and penne pasta just cut in half. In the beginning Katie choked and spluttered abit but she shovels it in now :rofl:

Does Caitlin like eggs? Scrambled or boiled egg with toast & beans

Rice? katie loves it, some peas in it and onions; maybe some egg

And yep mash with gravy :)

The only thing Katie calls 'yucky & disgusting' ( I swear these are her 2 phrases now for food :rofl: is salad :lol: ) and can we blame her? :rofl:

To help Katie sleep at night I go for heavier carbs at night so either potatoes, pasta or rice.

She now mostly feeds herself bar her breakfast :roll: madam is getting too independant!

Its Joe I have the problem with :hissy: he is such a picky eater :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->