What diapers should I buy? (US)

Nazz4

NTNP
Reaction score
I'm sure there are probably a thousand of these posts already, but I don't feel like going through everything to find them! Sorry I'm being lazy... So I'm 36 weeks now and starting my cloth diaper stash. Right now I have 3 Kawaii and 3 Sunbaby. I was trying not to buy a bunch of one brand so that I can try out a few, but I know I don't have enough right now and I do plan on doing cloth full-time once baby is big enough to fit into them.

I am wondering what are the best brands I can buy on the cheaper side online in the US? I've looked into Alva, but they seem to be either a hit or a miss and almost every review said they leak. I wish I could get some of the more expensive ones like bum genius and charlie banana, but I just don't have the funds for it. I'm wondering if I should get more of the Sunbaby and/or Kawaii because they are cheaper than most. I've found some for really cheap on amazon, but they are no brand name and there are no reviews so I don't trust it... I would rather spend a little more and have diapers I know will last for a long time and work well than buy super cheap ones that are just going to fall apart in the wash and leak through all the time.

So crunchy mama's, give me your advice please!

Thank you!

I'd get some different types of nappies (I think those are both pockets so far?). Plenty of people do their research, decide which type will be best and then totally change their minds after they've bought a load (done it!).

I'm not sure what your cheapie brands are over there but a couple of prefolds and a cover would be good to try (try them both as a tri-folded prefold and also with a snappi), and I'd definitely try a fitted nappy. In the UK, you can easily buy Motherease Sandy's preloved very cheaply and they're a great little nappy. Tots Bots Stretches aren't cheapies but probably available at good prices preloved (think they're sold as Bummis in the US). Lots of people like Motherease OS although I don't so maybe worth a go too.

I wouldn't bother trying to get a full size stash for 'magic switchover day' as it probably won't happen like that. It's more likely that from around 4 weeks, different OS nappies will start to work, up to maybe 8 weeks when most of them will probably fit. So you have a month of gradual switchover if you want - try a nappy for a week, if it works, buy a couple more. No point potentially wasting money buying them all at the start.

K thanks, anyone in the US have any advice on diapers?

I have a ton of different brands. Bumgenius, Alva, Kawaii, Rumparooz, Imagine, Nicki's own brand diapers, and Thirsties. My Alva's were about $5 a diaper, and I ordered straight from the website. They come from China, so could take up to a month to get to you, but I got mine in about a week and a half. I use them on both my 3 month old and my 23 month old. They've worked fantastically for us so far. I've NEVER had a problem with leaking or delaminating. They are pretty bulky though. All in all, we love our Alva's. I use Kawaii for my night time diapers on my nearly two year old. I like them a lot, they have a lot of cute prints and have held up really well over the last two years. I got mine for about $10 a diaper.

Imagine and Nicki's own brand (from nickisdiapers.com (admin if it's not allowed to post links, please delete!)) are my favorite "cheap diaper". They're about $10 a diaper. They're not as good quality as my rumparooz or bumgenius but they are good quality, and I haven't had a problem with pilling, delaminating, or leaks in either one of them. Nicki's diapers has amazingly bright and fun colors and also have pretty awesome chevron prints now, which I bought all of. :haha: They are so super soft, I have the pocket style and the all in one, and enjoy both very much. Our imagine diapers are really similar to our nicki's diapers, so I enjoy them a lot too.

Thirsties, rumparooz, and bumgenius are more expensive brands but they work really well for us.

I would just advise getting one or two diapers from a bunch of different brands to try out on your baby since one diaper may work amazingly on one baby, but awful on another.

Also, a lot of online shops like nicki's diapers, and kelly's closet (just google them), do diaper trials, where you can try out a bunch of different brands/styles, and if they don't work on your baby you can return them for a full refund or exchange. You should look into those, they're amazing for people just starting out cloth diapering!

Enjoy cloth diapering! It's so fun, and SO addictive!

Thanks, I just ordered 2 from "Sew is Your Baby!" which mostly has very good reviews. Honestly I'm hoping that I love the Kawaii though because they have awesome deals on packages (they have a variety pack that I want of 24 diapers for $120 which means only $5 a diaper and each diaper comes with 2 inserts too).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->