What do you think about baby leashes?

amygwen

Mom to Kenny & Gwendoline
Reaction score
I don't know if these are common the the UK but they're fairly common here in the US. How do you feel about baby leashes? Kenneth is obviously not at walking age and I don't really know how I feel about them. I see people using them on their children and I think they're just horrible, but than again I've done a lot of things that I never thought I'd do as a parent. A friend of mine who has a leash for her child says it's one of the best things out there because it helps children gain independence when walking. What do you think?

https://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSO45v-WxfrqV3VCzR3c1bzcBqIKE5Lh5aP7kuQgv7_cpQ6LALM4yIKkks

I tink they are a really good idea for some toddlers. I think some toddlers dont tread ousde of 3 ft of thier parents feet. Some could run 600 yards away and not even look back.

Ive got one of the latter. She doesnt always want to hold my hand, and tbh it isnt always convient to hold hers. She is extreamly confident and independant. Her baby reins make her safe and secure whislt alowing her to be the child she naturally is.

On another level I worked in The Disney Store for 5 years and dealt with many hysterical parents of lost children, mainly hysterical toddlers who'd lost thier mummys. I can not even begin to explain how hysterical not only parents but children get when they are lost. One mother even attacked my co-worker in the heat of a lost child moment. I can bet you they would have rather had thier child on reins that have lost them that day
Also for these children who are full of confidence and little regaurd for thier own personal safety. You really need to take the charge and keep them safe. It isnt always possible or desirable to hold your toddlers hand at all times. They need to discover the world on thier own terms without being held back by thier parents. But instead supported and safe.

I personally have a back-pack type reins and have had nothing but compliments on it and Lo is very happy to wear it. It has stopped her falling down many a hill and jumping into a ditch so far. Thats good enough for me

I don't think they look too nice really, but I'd rather see a child wearing reins so they can safely walk than having to sit in a pushchiar when they clearly don't need to be in one!

I had reins when I was younger, it was the only way my mum could keep some kind of control over me. If I didn't have them, I would've been hit by a car a long time ago!

Hated them, I thought they were so restrictive but things changed when my LO turned 2 ish. She didn't like holding my hand and wanted to stop and pick up stones and basically explore. I was pregnant as well and it was difficult for me to keep bending every time she bent to look at something etc. For the duration of my pregnancy they were a Godsend. For an objective answer, I think they provide a good balance between ensuring child safety and allowing the child to explore but not to be used all the time.

I don't think they are a bad thing necessarily. I haven't used them but might consider it if I were talk lo somewhere that is going to be very busy and I am with her by myself. Soon I'll have a little baby with me as well so I may find I need them to ensure Ella isn't running off getting lost.

Leashes :lol: Makes it sound kinda bad!
I dunno, I never really thought about it, I will probably use them. I don't think they are a bad thing :flower:

^^^ LOL, sorry that's what they call them over here, 'child leash'

I made a thread in baby club once and got completely chewed out for calling them leashes. :dohh: That's what they are!! :haha:

I'm of the opinion that they are a last resort sort of thing. Emma is perfectly happy in her stroller and she will hold my hand when walking. She is very rarely walking in public though. It's always either in the stroller, or in the carrier. But I can completely see how they would be handy for parents of children that aren't so easy to walk with. Or parents of multiple children.

I used to hate them because I've seen way too many parents treating them wrongly. Pulling back on them and making the child stumble, dragging the child along, etc. :nope:

I agree that sometimes they are used incorrectly and I also agree they should be like a last resort eg pregnancy, multiple children etc but I also notice that even some moms who hold their LOs hands drag their children so its not really a problem that is caused by leash use but rather by parents.

^Oh, thats not nice :nope: I've never seen anything like that so I guess I just never had a problem with them and thought it was a normal thing everyone uses!

I rarely see them being used. I think it's more popular over there. I see the animal backpack ones occasionally but not very often at all. And the people I've seen using them are usually what you girls would call 'chavvy'. And they are the ones yanking on it or dragging. :nope:

I made a thread in baby club once and got completely chewed out for calling them leashes. :dohh: That's what they are!! :haha:

I'm of the opinion that they are a last resort sort of thing. Emma is perfectly happy in her stroller and she will hold my hand when walking. She is very rarely walking in public though. It's always either in the stroller, or in the carrier. But I can completely see how they would be handy for parents of children that aren't so easy to walk with. Or parents of multiple children.

I used to hate them because I've seen way too many parents treating them wrongly. Pulling back on them and making the child stumble, dragging the child along, etc. :nope:

LOL yeah, they are called leashes. I didn't know what else to call them. But when you buy them it's called like 'child leash' haha!

I know.. when I googled baby leash today, I found a few youtube videos of these poor kiddies being dragged along on these leash things. I think if they're being used like that of course it's wrong. if I saw someone doing that I would flip a switch!

I rarely see them being used. I think it's more popular over there. I see the animal backpack ones occasionally but not very often at all. And the people I've seen using them are usually what you girls would call 'chavvy'. And they are the ones yanking on it or dragging. :nope:

They call them "reins" here. Sounds a bit more civil! :lol:
If I had to get one, I'd probably get one with the little animal on the backpack, makes it seem a little nicer I suppose.

Yeah I think out of all of them, the animal ones are the nicest. They can be used as a plain backpack too which is nice. I actually saw a giraffe one that I LOVED but it's not necessary for us ATM so I'm not going to worry about it unless I absolutely have to. :D

I think they are useful. I am going to get one to attach to my 2.5 year olds' wheelchair so she doesn't go escaping down hills.

I think i will probally end up using one for harrison when he older obviously lol.
Its all well and good holding onto your childs hand but what if you loosen your grip, or get disracted for a split second? Thats all it takes for a child to wiggle their hand out of yours and run into danger.
I do like the animal bag type ones!
And i also dont like seeing people yanking them or dragging their child.
If used in a sensible manner, they are very useful :flower:

I wouldnt call it a leash tho! Lol :rofl: a dog has a leash, not a child! X

Lol! I should of thought of that! But leash still seems harsher than reins. Iv also heard them called 'angel wings'

LOL it is funny how terminology is so different. Reins in the UK too.

They are not popular where I live tbh (London), rarely do I see them.

I dont use them because they have all held my hand well, but would use them if necessary.

Haha I remember you causing trouble with that one :)

If when the time comes and Brian could do with one then I have no problem with using one, it did potentialy save the life of my nephew after all when he decided he was going to pull away from my hand and dash toward the road, luckely all he got was a dented ego when he landed backwards on his butt :)

I have seen an accident where a child dashed out into the road (didnt see it actualy happen just all the cars and ambulances gavered round) and its not nice, id much rather see child straining at reins then laying in the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->