What do you think about baby leashes?

Do you think you can get extendable leads for them so you can keep them close while on paths but let them run around a bit further away when on the grass :)

Good idea untill he tight ropes a cyclyst :)

Holly has hated being in her pushchair since she learned to walk, and will hold my hand most of the time but has a bit of a tendency to wiggle free and run.

To me, her safety and happiness is paramount. So we use a 'leash' (I don't like that word, she isn't a dog). It means that when we go out anywhere, she has the freedom to walk at her own pace, stop and look at things, wave at people, run her hands along the walls. Yes, it takes us hours to walk anywhere, but she loves it!

I would rather she be on reins and happy (and safe) than in a pushchair and miserable, sat there not getting any exercise. I do not use them to drag her along, I use them to give her independence whilst making sure she is safe. And I can assure you that neither I, nor my baby, are 'chavvy'.

Chavvy? Did I miss something? :lol:

I believe that was addressed to me. :D Because I said the people I've seen use them are what UK girls would call 'chavvy'.. But as I said before, I've never seen them being used properly and they aren't that popular here. :shrug: I didn't say it to cause offense to someone that actually uses them correctly. :flower:

If we hadn't of used these when DS was younger; I would have spent ages trying to keep him at my side. He hated being in a stroller and always wanted to look around but loved running off too far, far too often. There are still times I think of buying another one to use on him now a days. :wacko:

We have a little life back pack for DS that is used as a safety measure when out walking. We live near a pretty busy, straight road so cars never slow down, he is very good at holding our hand but has been known to wriggle free and dash off, we haven't used them on a busy shopping day in town yet. We would just rather be safe and not in a position where he is in danger

We have a little life back pack for DS that is used as a safety measure when out walking. We live near a pretty busy, straight road so cars never slow down, he is very good at holding our hand but has been known to wriggle free and dash off, we haven't used them on a busy shopping day in town yet. We would just rather be safe and not in a position where he is in danger

Exactly, its easy enough to still keep hold of their hand and have the strap part wrapped around your wrist so if theey do suddenly make a break for it you have that as a back up.
Just because a child is wearing one doesnt mean they cant still hold your hand, be taught proper road safety, have some freedom and still be safe.

I remember when this came up before someone replied no its for lazy parents (Ill never understand whats lazy about letting your child walk) and I noticed they hadnt even had thier baby yet, id love to ask that person in a years time if they still thought that.

Who said its lazy for your child to walk?? That dont even make sense :shrug:

Who said its lazy for your child to walk?? That dont even make sense :shrug:

I know, it didnt realy make sense to me either about it being lazy parenting.
I think they ment they saw it as lazy to just drag them around rather then teach them proper road safety but I can only guess thats what they ment.

I use reins on Jason, he has development issues which include understanding so he doesn't understand when I ask him to walk nice and he won't always keep hold of my hand.

I do feel bad when using them though, mainly because I know some people will look at me and him and just judge without knowing the facts but it is a safety thing.

I'd rather see a mom using one for a child that needs it than allowing him/her to harm themselves or get lost in a public place!

My friend said her sister was so hyper when she was little, the parents would leash her to the clothes line in the yard so she wouldn't run away. I mean, that was 30 years ago, but still. :/

Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, some kids will just not grasp road safety (or any other safety) for one personal reason or another. For me, my son has ADHD, is super over hyper, inquisitive and defiant. The leash, was a god send for me. It allowed me to monitor him from a safe distance while still being able to show him proper safety without him actually being in the position to 'learn it the hard way', iykwim. Plu, he was able to run around and look at things and do what he wanted, SAFELY. Some people think that it's the parents faulty parenting that their child does not listen to certain rules or behave properly all the time. Get real, I say. Kids are kids and kids are hard work. If something works for you and is safe in every way, then go for it.

Thanks for your input so far everyone!
I've really enjoyed reading the responses. I think before I came a mom I would have never even considered a 'leash' and would look at moms who used them crazy. But now that I am a mom, I can completely understand why they're used. I agree with a lot of you because I would much prefer getting evil eyes from strangers then having my child run away and potentially get hurt.

I'd rather see a mom using one for a child that needs it than allowing him/her to harm themselves or get lost in a public place!

My friend said her sister was so hyper when she was little, the parents would leash her to the clothes line in the yard so she wouldn't run away. I mean, that was 30 years ago, but still. :/

cheap spin dryer :haha:

Holly has hated being in her pushchair since she learned to walk, and will hold my hand most of the time but has a bit of a tendency to wiggle free and run.

To me, her safety and happiness is paramount. So we use a 'leash' (I don't like that word, she isn't a dog). It means that when we go out anywhere, she has the freedom to walk at her own pace, stop and look at things, wave at people, run her hands along the walls. Yes, it takes us hours to walk anywhere, but she loves it!

I would rather she be on reins and happy (and safe) than in a pushchair and miserable, sat there not getting any exercise. I do not use them to drag her along, I use them to give her independence whilst making sure she is safe. And I can assure you that neither I, nor my baby, are 'chavvy'.

I believe that was addressed to me. :D Because I said the people I've seen use them are what UK girls would call 'chavvy'.. But as I said before, I've never seen them being used properly and they aren't that popular here. :shrug: I didn't say it to cause offense to someone that actually uses them correctly. :flower:
Ooooh I did miss that then :lol:

Sorry, pms/grumpy post :blush:

Quick OT question - to any mums who have the wrist ones - if the little people decide to run away, isn't there a risk of hurting/damaging their wrist? I remember being told by the hv that their joints can 'pop' out easily until they are around 5 years old so I'm super paranoid about holding on to her too tight in case I break her :)

Yes there is a risk, my nephew realy yanked his shoulder, he ran and pulled so hard that it actualy made me stumple and fall so I realy hate these ones.

Plus they seem to extend a bit further because they are stretchable and he was a litte sod for running around the other side of someone while we where walking along and tangleing us all up plus I was contantly worried someone would run between us or with a bike and not see the lead because it stretched out that far.

Sorry, pms/grumpy post :blush:

It's okay. :D I figured as much. :hugs:

We can call them child tethers instead of leashes or reins! :flower:

This is what we use for Ruby and she prefers putting her back pack than the other types and even wants to wear it at home

Attachments

• 024 (5).jpg
    024 (5).jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79