What do you think about baby leashes?

haha it is definitely funny. I was asking my mom what she thought about leashes and she's from England she had no clue what I was talking about and than finally said 'oh you mean reins!' weeeeeeeeeird! Terminology is totally different :)

Hate them.

I will NEVER use one, and I have a very hyperactive child.
My mom used one on me, and I despised it :lol:

I feel like my child will probably be a candidate for a child leash. Now that she can crawl she's off and into stuff very quickly and I can just imagine what things will be like once walking happens! It's not going to be my first option, but I can definitely see it potentially being necessary (hey maybe she'll be happy to hold my hand all the time and not run around like a wild chicken :haha:). After she starts walking and gets too big to wear we'll just see. They have some cute ones here that are little backpacks and the leash clips on.
I don't agree with dragging kids around by them though.
I don't know, what do you think is worse, an older child strapped into a stroller (which I see all the time) or a child leash? I kind of feel they are done for the same purpose. I think I'd probably opt for the leash...

Well I'll hold my hand up and say that I have not only 'dragged' my kids by their reins, I have also picked them up and carried them by the reins. If they decide to have a tantrum in the middle of the town (including wriggling when you pick them up) then sometimes it's the only option. Also both my kids discovered very early on that it was fun to be 'dragged' and they would purposefully 'fall' into the reins and lie on the ground so I had to carry them that way.

I actually think they should only be used until the child is old enough to know to stop at the road or not run too far ahead etc. For Kaya that was just over 2, I'm not sure when it will be for Blythe. I really hate seeing big kids (like 3yo) in buggies as I think they're old enough to walk (physical disabilities not withstanding of course)

Well I'll hold my hand up and say that I have not only 'dragged' my kids by their reins, I have also picked them up and carried them by the reins. If they decide to have a tantrum in the middle of the town (including wriggling when you pick them up) then sometimes it's the only option. Also both my kids discovered very early on that it was fun to be 'dragged' and they would purposefully 'fall' into the reins and lie on the ground so I had to carry them that way.

I actually think they should only be used until the child is old enough to know to stop at the road or not run too far ahead etc. For Kaya that was just over 2, I'm not sure when it will be for Blythe. I really hate seeing big kids (like 3yo) in buggies as I think they're old enough to walk (physical disabilities not withstanding of course)

:thumbup: Agreed!

I have them for Chloe and Jaycee. I'd rather them have them on than run out into a road and be knocked down.
Maybe some peoples opinions would be different if they had two children exactly the same age who think its funny to go off in different directions, I would rather them have reins than to have to choose which one I save.
I'd rather see reins than a child in a buggy who is perfectly able to walk but just doesnt have to because the buggy is provided.
I still struggle to see why people think reins are bad, I have my dog on a lead not because she should be becaus she also likes to dart around in the road. I use her lead as safety too. Just like the girls have reins.

Whenever you talk about having the twins on reins this is all I see in my head! :haha:

https://failblog.org/2010/09/01/epic-fail-photos-parenting-fail-32/

Sometimes thats what its like :haha:

But at least they are safe.

I take walks every night for an hour. There is NO way Emma would walk that long or that far, and it kind of defeats the purpose of taking an exercising walk if I have to walk really slow to cater to Emma. So I don't see what's so bad about a kid sitting in a stroller either. :shrug: It goes both ways really. :flower:

I totally think reins are useful and even probably necessary when you have multiple children that are close in age/same age. :D But I only have one child and they aren't necessary for me.

if lo doesnt need a buggy and wont hold your hand when walking then yes they are a very good idea. ds1 HATED them but if we were walking and he refused to hold my hand i put them on him and he soon learnt that its hold my hand or on go the reins. im about to do that with ds2 coz he is walking alot further now and refuses flat out to hold anyones hand even his brothers and with the terrible 2s in full force with the tantrums im nipping it in the bud now!

I don't have a problem with them. We have some and also have a bee rucksack that has a strap to connect on. But as it happens we don't need them as Byron is excellent at holding our hand to walk. I might rarely use them if we're walking somewhere very busy and I'm carrying bags or something that might make it hard to catch him if he did run off. To be honest if it's somewhere I consideer unsafe to walk with him I take the pram. But loads of people use them. We had them as kids. My friend has them for her boy who always tries to run away, which is why she uses them. Needs must is my philosophy!

I think they're great... but to keep LO safe and not used to drag LO around. I'd say only tobe used until LO can understand not to run off etc. They do osme now like animal backpacks for LO and you hold the animal's tail. They look much less harsh xx

I remember wearing mine thye where realy thick brown leather ones and I actualy loved them purely because I used to delibratly drop down so I could swing on them :)

My great aunt used to look after me till my mum got home from work and whenever we went out she would shove me in this horrible 50's style buggy (most of it was made of a metal frame) just because she couldnt be bothered with the hassle of me walking.
I was 6/7 and I hated it although I did used to pretend I was on a dog sleigh :)

my OH said were not using them
but i think theyre a brilliant idea
i think they need to be made more popular again because the amount of children ive seen running away from parents and running into roads is just shocking!
I hope that zach is good enough to stay close or hold my hand but if hes not..i'll definately be getting some..and even if i dont use them..i'll be "threatening" to use them on him if he runs away :winkwink::haha:
i think people dont like the idea because its kinda like having a dog on a lead..at the end of the day though..kids are kids and they need to be taught some way or another..?

I personally am not going to use them, i don't have a problem with them if other people use them, but i just remember HATING mine when i was little!

Holly has hated being in her pushchair since she learned to walk, and will hold my hand most of the time but has a bit of a tendency to wiggle free and run.

To me, her safety and happiness is paramount. So we use a 'leash' (I don't like that word, she isn't a dog). It means that when we go out anywhere, she has the freedom to walk at her own pace, stop and look at things, wave at people, run her hands along the walls. Yes, it takes us hours to walk anywhere, but she loves it!

I would rather she be on reins and happy (and safe) than in a pushchair and miserable, sat there not getting any exercise. I do not use them to drag her along, I use them to give her independence whilst making sure she is safe. And I can assure you that neither I, nor my baby, are 'chavvy'.

Oh they are called harness and reigns here and always used when I was a little one, yeah I was going to get some of course, if it stops LO running into danger then they can only be a good thing. Didnt know people were so agaunst them these days. Yes we will definitely get some and then once in an open space with no cars etc then I will let her loose!! :D leash is a silly overdramatic phrase its for the childs safety like any harness you put them in.

we have a little sheep back pack with a "leash" on it and its great as my little madam refuses to hold my hand and is always making a run for it, so if it saves her getting lost or running out on the road how can it be anything but a good thing :)

Holly has hated being in her pushchair since she learned to walk, and will hold my hand most of the time but has a bit of a tendency to wiggle free and run.

To me, her safety and happiness is paramount. So we use a 'leash' (I don't like that word, she isn't a dog). It means that when we go out anywhere, she has the freedom to walk at her own pace, stop and look at things, wave at people, run her hands along the walls. Yes, it takes us hours to walk anywhere, but she loves it!

I would rather she be on reins and happy (and safe) than in a pushchair and miserable, sat there not getting any exercise. I do not use them to drag her along, I use them to give her independence whilst making sure she is safe. And I can assure you that neither I, nor my baby, are 'chavvy'.

Chavvy? Did I miss something? :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->