What do you think about baby leashes?

I personally don't use them. We either wore Claire or had her in our stroller when she was too young to listen to us. Now she understands enough that if she runs away from us then the outing is done and we go home (or gets put into the stroller).

I don't like them at all, if I'm honest. However, I'm a firm believer into each their own. If it works for other people, that's awesome.

Not going to lie though, if she did start running off on me constantly and fought me on it then I would probably look into using one.

i love how this asked for an opinion and i gave one and am being made a joke. my daughter is three and i have raised her to know better and always stands by me, never runs to the street as she knows its dangerous.to each their own.

my son has also been raised to no better! so what because we have used reins it means i havent bought my son up right?

that doesnt mean a toddler listens everytime they are asked to hold ur hand

i love how this asked for an opinion and i gave one and am being made a joke. my daughter is three and i have raised her to know better and always stands by me, never runs to the street as she knows its dangerous.to each their own.

I think it was more your comparision to liberating a demeaned dog that made your oppinion slightly overlooked.

There are so many things that I do that I swore I would never do while I was pregnant. The 'ideals' are easily said but as I keep finding out as LO changes, sod the ideals I'll just do what makes life easy! Im enjoying the easy life at the mo before LO is mobile, but when she's a toddler if reins stop her running off I'll definitely be using them :)
I walk my dog on a lead because I don't want him to run in to the road or disappear chasing something where it's unsafe, not to demean him :haha:

i never said anyone was a bad parent or notc
raising their child right just my opinion on them. i said to each their own if they work for you great.

They are sensible and i thought it would be second nature to get some kind of assistance to help prevent a very young child who has just started walking from running out in front of car, it only takes a split second for them to fly off on a tangent. Im going to get the English version called 'reigns' they have sold them for years over here :)

I keep coming back to this one and just feeling utterly flabbergasted that anyone could see something so amazing as a negative thing. Regardless of how well you raise your child, it takes one moment, one slip of concentration on either of your parts and that child could dash into a road and be killed... people might choose to not use them... and that's fine. But to see something that could save lives as a negative thing? Baffled.

I see this similar to ERF v FF. Yes FF is fine and does it's job. However in certain situations that could happen outside of your control ERF IS safer and could save lives.

For what it's worth I FF... but if I were to put ERF down because I choose not to do it... people would be baffled I'm sure. Same goes for reigns.

To clarify before anyone misreads. Not making a like for like comparison - just using ERF/FF as an example here as a similar situation. FF, like not using a lead, is fine and children go through childhood perfectly fine and healthily FF'ing and not using leads. However some parents look at risks and choose to be more cautious to try and protect their child from any risk of harm. Those parents could go for ERF to protect their child in the small, minute chance of a crash that a FF carseat could not save their child from. This is no different to a parent assessing risks and choosing to use a lead in the small, minute chance that their child, no matter how well behaved, trips into the path or a car etc.

People that take extra care about risks shouldn't have their practices compared to something negative...and ANY tool that can protect a child from harm should be respected. Whether you use it or not. I FF... but I respect ERF carseats and acknowledge that they have their place xxx

I keep coming back to this one and just feeling utterly flabbergasted that anyone could see something so amazing as a negative thing. Regardless of how well you raise your child, it takes one moment, one slip of concentration on either of your parts and that child could dash into a road and be killed... people might choose to not use them... and that's fine. But to see something that could save lives as a negative thing? Baffled.

I see this similar to ERF v FF. Yes FF is fine and does it's job. However in certain situations that could happen outside of your control ERF IS safer and could save lives.

For what it's worth I FF... but if I were to put ERF down because I choose not to do it... people would be baffled I'm sure. Same goes for reigns.

To clarify before anyone misreads. Not making a like for like comparison - just using ERF/FF as an example here as a similar situation. FF, like not using a lead, is fine and children go through childhood perfectly fine and healthily FF'ing and not using leads. However some parents look at risks and choose to be more cautious to try and protect their child from any risk of harm. Those parents could go for ERF to protect their child in the small, minute chance of a crash that a FF carseat could not save their child from. This is no different to a parent assessing risks and choosing to use a lead in the small, minute chance that their child, no matter how well behaved, trips into the path or a car etc.

People that take extra care about risks shouldn't have their practices compared to something negative...and ANY tool that can protect a child from harm should be respected. Whether you use it or not. I FF... but I respect ERF carseats and acknowledge that they have their place xxx

Exactly you wouldnt look at a ERF child and think or comment that "thats cruel your not allowing them freedom to kick their legs about and enjoy watching where their going"
or
"I hate them its horrible and lonely to have them facing away from you"
Its a safety device just like bike helmets, plug covers and many of other such items that some need and others have no use for.

We used reins with Emma for months. They were the only way we could keep her safe out of her buggy- she was physically more than ready to leave the buggy behind but developmentally was not able to follow rules regarding hand holding.

Children don't all develop in a linear way. Sometimes they are ahead in certain areas but not able to manage others. Reins gave Emma a sense of freedom and enabled us to take the time we needed to demonstrate how she should be walking safely. We would hold Emma's hand and the reins too so if she slipped our hand we still had her under control. And here we are 6 months down the line, and I haven't used the reins in weeks. Emma holds my hand and walks sensibly beside us. Used sensibly they are a great safety tool.

It is worth rememebering that children all have very different personalities. Some toddlers listen to and follow instructions, other toddlers don't. I would have loved you to show me how to 'raise Emma to know better' when she was simply not able to follow the instruction in the first place. Making comments like the one I have highlighted above suggests/ insinuates that those of us who used reins couldn't be bothered to parent properly. It is always better to ask someone WHY they do something if you don't understand why or agree with it rather than simply dismissing it as inferior.

We live along side the river as well and I realised today when out for a little walk how easy it would actualy be for him to suddenly pull from me and be in the water in seconds, even somthing as simple as stumbling and slipping (may sound silly but everything seems over cautious untill it happens)
Hes just learning to walk outside and nothing is going to make him hold my hand as far as hes concerned now hes found his freedom.
Obviusly im trying my best to instill in him the importance of holding my hand when I tell him but its not like you can reason with a 16 month old :)

Funnily enough I put Byron on reins today for the first time in possibly a year. He was mega overtired after a long hot day and really acting up, refusing to hold my hand of get in the double pram so I stuck reins on and he walked along quite happily. Has it occurred to any opposing mums that some toddlers might actually prefer the freedom of reins to holding hands?

I'd say a child walking with reins is less restricted by one holding hands?

I'd say a child walking with reins is less restricted by one holding hands?

Definitely, if they are holding your hand you are leading the exploration of the environment. If they are on reins they are able to go off and explore things that are of interest to them SAFELY

I'd have a heck of a time holding C's hand everywhere we go; she's so short I'd have to be hunched over to reach! Once that girl gets bored of the pushchair she's off like a shot given half the chance. I'm hoping she'll have learned not to run off by the time she reaches 'preschool' age, but right now she's 18 months old ffs; she has zero impulse control and very little sense of danger. I'd much rather she's on her feet getting some exercise (and getting good and tired, lol) than slumped into a pushchair or having a screaming tantrum trying to get out of one.

(I've nothing against pushchairs btw, we have one and use it plenty. It's just when C wants to explore and we don't let her, she gets very pouty and frustrated.)

I loved my reins, I used to be able to have the freedom of walking but was terrible for trying to wander off (or trying to, my poor mum bought them because of this). There's nothing wrong with them, they've been going for years for a reason. I will use them on Louis to keep him safe.

Well we have finaly reached that stage, after months of trying to get him to walk I now wish it had taken longer :)
We went out on the field today for a run around (first time hes been allowed out freely on a public field) and he spent the whole time trying to run towards the road with 3 of us trying to round him up only to get my eardrum burst by high pitch screams everytime I had to pick him up to bring him back or tried holding his hand so the reigns came out for the first time out in public and I can honestly say it was so much easier.
He was happy enough trundling around on his own picking up his leaves and I was happier knowing he couldnt bolt towards the road.
he even turned round towards the end and held my hand on his own because he felt free to do so rather then being forced to be held by me.

Getting him back in the car was a nightmare though, tantrum all round :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->