What do you think about baby leashes?

I have no issue with them. We don't find them useful for Ruby though - she'll either hold hands or not if it's safe enough, depending on where we are. I couldn't go out with Ruby on reins and no buggy because I can never guarantee she wont just refuse to walk any further and at 30lb and being pregnant I just can't carry her for long at all! So the buggy comes along and she either walks or goes in it.
I must say though that we live in a village that is largely pedestrianized, perfect for toddlers. So that really helps.

So this thread really made me think! I have always detested these and sworn for years I would never use them. Of course the times I've seen them being used (or misused!) were parents that were yanking there kids around at the fair and really did seem like they just didn't want to be bothered with them. So as I am reading through the thread I'm thinking, why can't you just hold your child's hand? In college I worked at a daycare and would take 4-5 one years olds on walks with only one other adult sometimes and we managed (not easy). Then all the sudden I read a post that about what if you have to push a stroller? NEVER EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT THIS. What are you supposed to do when you have an infant in a stroller and a toddler? So now I have to change my stance to be open about using these (not for while!). I do hate the looks of them but after reading through this thread I can totally see why parents use them to ensure safety. It's very easy to speculate what "you will do" but until you're in that situation, I don't think you truly know. Who knows I may be using one in two years...

I had one for my son when he was younger as he would run off and I'd have to chase him up the street of round the shop, he would hardly hold my hand and pull away all the time.

Now I have LO in the buggy I have a wrist strap attached to it so if he runs off he has to hold the strap.

I used/use it for his safety and would never drag him along.

So this thread really made me think! I have always detested these and sworn for years I would never use them. Of course the times I've seen them being used (or misused!) were parents that were yanking there kids around at the fair and really did seem like they just didn't want to be bothered with them. So as I am reading through the thread I'm thinking, why can't you just hold your child's hand? In college I worked at a daycare and would take 4-5 one years olds on walks with only one other adult sometimes and we managed (not easy). Then all the sudden I read a post that about what if you have to push a stroller? NEVER EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT THIS. What are you supposed to do when you have an infant in a stroller and a toddler? So now I have to change my stance to be open about using these (not for while!). I do hate the looks of them but after reading through this thread I can totally see why parents use them to ensure safety. It's very easy to speculate what "you will do" but until you're in that situation, I don't think you truly know. Who knows I may be using one in two years...

Yes it is very easy to say no until you have been in that situation. Toddlers are very skilled in pulling hands free etc :) x

I used to hate seeing these then my mum told me I had one and that actually it gave me a lot more freedom as I didn't have to always hold her hand. Also I was 2 when my mum had twins so what else can you do with 2 babies and a toddler :shrug:

I will more than likely use one if I think Jake needs one. :) I must admit I don't see them being used a lot now.
I love the reins you can get that go in a little backpack though! So cute!

Personally I despise these. I feel like you are demeaning the child to be like a dog when you put them on a "leash". I hate seeing them and I just want to go let the poor kid off of the thing.

Personally I despise these. I feel like you are demeaning the child to be like a dog when you put them on a "leash". I hate seeing them and I just want to go let the poor kid off of the thing.

I used to think this but after my little boy pulled his hand free of mine and ran into a busy road I changed my view completley. So I don't see it has demeaning I see it as something to promote saftey. I always hold my sons hand but that day he wriggled free and he could have been under the wheels of a bus so easily. I think before I knew what toddlers were like I had the view of " I hate them" now I have a toddler and can totally see why they are used :) xx

I also think there is a world of difference between a new walker (about 1 year old) and a almost 3 year old being on one.

I was a big backpack user from 14-20 months. It was the safest option for her and better than making her be in a pram when she can walk. WE dont use them anymore at all as she is now much more responsive when she is told something ie. STOP. If i shout that now she stops right where she is immediately. 3 months ago she woulnt have and could have been in a main road by then

I have no problem with them and never knew they were controversial til now!
A great idea for keeping tabs on adventurous lo's.

I don't know about other dog owners but I put mine on a lead so that she doesn't run out into the traffic or over to strangers. I don't put her on a lead to demean her or yank her about...

I don't know about other dog owners but I put mine on a lead so that she doesn't run out into the traffic or over to strangers. I don't put her on a lead to demean her or yank her about...

I was a 'leashed' toddler I dont remember being demeaned either. My Lo LOVED her monkey backpack. Would wear it now if I brought it out.

I think I said earlier in the thread (its been a while since it started) But having worked at the Disney store for 5 years. Seeing the upset of a lost child both in the child and the parent. Its far better to keep them safe until you can teach them what is acceptable

To be run over?

last i checked also my sons rein doesnt go around his kneck and i dont make him go to the toilet outside so i really fail to see how a child is being treated like a dog :dohh: some people really need to think before they type.

the whole its like a dog argument is rediculas

Do you think I could get one with studs on or a little tinkly bell or maybe even a name tag with a return address.

You know I would love to know the statistics of how many parents thought they where cruel or horrible but actualy changed their minds and saw it all in a different light once they had a toddler.

zane would look amazing in a stud colar, i might go to the pet shop behind my house tomo n buy one!

ile also chuck out his digger bed and make him sleep in the dog bed or maybe a cage while im at it.

who knew that keeping our children safe would mean we are treating them like animals.

i cant even remember the last time i needed to use zanes WRIST no kneck rein but im glad i did when i had to and id never change that

You know I would love to know the statistics of how many parents thought they where cruel or horrible but actualy changed their minds and saw it all in a different light once they had a toddler.

I agree I changed my mind completly when aidan started the toddler stage. The one scare of him running towards a road was enough for me to change my mind x

i love how this asked for an opinion and i gave one and am being made a joke. my daughter is three and i have raised her to know better and always stands by me, never runs to the street as she knows its dangerous.to each their own.

Aidan does know better now but at the age of 14 months he had no understanding of danger or being naughty. I think the way you referanced to a dog was unessicary tbh, they are used to keep toddlers safe and I don't see how that is treating them like a dog x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->