What do you think about baby leashes?

well I have always thought they were a good idea and will be getting some for my LO and intend on using them too. I am sorry that some of you are offended or feel bad about the choices I make to keep my child safe. I really can't see the trouble here, we are talking about an invention that has a child's safety in mind, not something that will cause harm and detriment to the child. I personally would never forgive myself if something happend to my child becuase I didn't "like" something that could have prevented an accident. I Will be using them whilst teaching her about road safety but she won't be off them until I am confident that she fully understands and is aware of danger. again..sorry to those of you who don't agree with me xxx

I love the idea! I want to buy one now that K is walking well on her own, easier and safer when in public!

I'm for them. There will always be a small minority that ruin a good thing, people misusing reigns are simply that. My son can be counted on to listen to me 90% of the time, but that other 10% he's his own boss and if he wants to pet the kitty/smell the flower on the other side of the road, no amount of traffic, or indeed previous warnings about road safety will stop him. And if my grip wasn't tight, or he twists his hand, it takes a few seconds for him to step in front of an on coming car. I personally wouldn't give a damn if one of you anti-harness ladies came up to me in the street and spouted your opinion, my son's safety is what matters most.

I don't have a LO but I wanted to add what my SIL said. She and her 3 year old and 6 month old were in a parade for St. Patrick's day. (She wears the baby). She had the 3 year old on the "baby leash" if that's what you call it. People were yelling obscenities at her about how he wasn't a dog. She told me that she will do whatever is necessary to keep her child safe. Not let him run around where there are thousands of people and he could be taken in an instant if he ran off out of her sight.

I believe that I would do the same.

I went to the Epsom derby at the weekend and how many women were shouting at their children for running off was amazing.. Get some reins then!

I don't have a LO but I wanted to add what my SIL said. She and her 3 year old and 6 month old were in a parade for St. Patrick's day. (She wears the baby). She had the 3 year old on the "baby leash" if that's what you call it. People were yelling obscenities at her about how he wasn't a dog. She told me that she will do whatever is necessary to keep her child safe. Not let him run around where there are thousands of people and he could be taken in an instant if he ran off out of her sight.

I believe that I would do the same.

I can't believe people would shout stuff at her!! :nope:

Noah approves of reins :haha:

Attachments

• DSCN0983.jpg
    DSCN0983.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 2
id go nuts if people were randomly shouting things at me about my son in reins. i will never understand how some people can be so rude!

I'm very pro reins. You just have to look at the James Bulger case to understand it takes just one momentary lapse in concentration for your whole world to fall apart.

I saw 2 prime examples of why reins are needed today. The first was a toddler who ran into the road as a bus was pulling into the stop. The mother went to grab him as he moved but he was too fast. Lucky the bus was stopping. When I got into town a little boy of maybe 3 yrs or so was running ahead in a busy town area. Suddenly he ran down the underpass and the mother had to leave her other child alone in the pram to run to get him back. Both could have been very dangerous situations. Both could have been avoided with reins... and both are VERY common! I do think that in the situations where reins will keep your child safe, it is catergorically reckless to not use them.

The argument that "I'll teach my child to not run off" seems pretty invalid. It MIGHT work for some but not all. AT the age some babies walk they cannot know right from wrong fully and will not understand road safety etc. Of course all mothers should teach thier child to obey commands and walk holding hands, stop at roads etc etc... but no matter how much and how hard you try and teach them... there are STILL situations where reins would always be safer.

With my 1st child I didnt use reins, mainly because I didnt really need too. She was quite a late walker so by the time she was able to walk outside confidently she was able to understand a bit more about holding hands etc, also she was my only child at the time so had full attention at all times.

With my second lo I was unable to give 100% attention as I also had my eldest too watch. She was also able to walk alot earlier than dd1 so didnt have as much understanding, plus she was more likely to run than my eldest had been, not through naughtieness, just doing what children do with no understanding of the consequences. I ended up buying her the reins that have the animal backpack attached, she used to love wearing them, even though shes grown out of them now.

I really dont understand the problem with them, I would much rather lo wearing reins than running in front of a car etc. Also where I live I have seen plenty of children wearing them so its really not that unusual here. Her safety will always come before what other people think :flower:

I am for reins...

As pp have mentioned they are a device to keep toddlers safe. Some toddlers are super fast, and a real challenge to keep an eye on. Others aren't. Those that are runaways are kept safe by reins.

:thumbup:

I do get a bit fed up when I hear things like "dont use a leash hes not a dog" do people think im refering to him as a dog when I tell him to sit down as well?
I think sometimes people get a little too caught up in the whole "treat him like a human" thing when at the end of the day they are a child without the understandings of an adult that we are just trying our best to keep safe.

Am I whiping him with the leash? no im just trying to stop him from running in front of a bus.

I think people get a bit too hung up on the name of them as well, reins, leash can all be related to animals its just a case of how you interpret it its just a name though.

we had them for my son when he REFUSED to stay in the buggy. he wanted to walk on his own and these made it safe to do it. we have them for nicole too. she def will be adamant on walking on her own.

i think the name HAS to change.

I've never even seen them used except for once or twice when I was in England. I wouldn't even know where to buy them here. Never thought about them as I haven't seen them but reading this thread I can see why they're used. If Maria is the type to not hold my hand while walking then I might use them.

I don't remember ever being in them though, but then I don't remember being in a pushchair either, maybe I just have a bad memory :haha:

I spent most of my time swinging from mine, I actualy rememebr wearing them (big chunky brown leather things in thse days) I thought it was hillarious to suddenly drop and swing on mine, My mum didnt though :)

Certainly sounds like fun! I'll ask my mum when I see her if I used them

my mother used them , i have used them with my children as well my 3 yr old nearly gave me a heart attack the other day coming back from the shop when he disobeyed me and stepped out onto the road, now i had ds2 on my hip caus he was crying, im pregnant and had the pushchair with shopping too i had trusted ds1 to walk nicely beside me ( not on the road side of me but next to the houses ) but it took him less than 5 seconds to nip around me and onto the road. thankfully there were no cars coming as the lights were changing at the time but it could have been terrible very quickly as its a busy roads. i have to get him used to walking everywhere before winter as i'll have 2 in a pushchair when this baby arrives, if ds1 needs reins ( or whatever you want to term them ) to be safe doing that then i'll be using them

my mother used them , i have used them with my children as well my 3 yr old nearly gave me a heart attack the other day coming back from the shop when he disobeyed me and stepped out onto the road, now i had ds2 on my hip caus he was crying, im pregnant and had the pushchair with shopping too i had trusted ds1 to walk nicely beside me ( not on the road side of me but next to the houses ) but it took him less than 5 seconds to nip around me and onto the road. thankfully there were no cars coming as the lights were changing at the time but it could have been terrible very quickly as its a busy roads. i have to get him used to walking everywhere before winter as i'll have 2 in a pushchair when this baby arrives, if ds1 needs reins ( or whatever you want to term them ) to be safe doing that then i'll be using them

have u thought about getting a buggy board? ive got zane one to use for when corey is in his pram and i will also be using a wrist rein attached to the buggy so if he jumps off he cant get very far lol

I thinm they are good for toddlers that run off, especially near busy roads etc. I vowed I would never used one of aidan because I thought it was like treating them like a dog. BUT one day he gave me the fright of my life, pulled his hand free and nearly ran into a main road. I went and got a set of reins straight away and they were a lifesaver, literally. They keep toddlers safe and I will eb using them with my next child x

I'll see about using one when Louis' old enough, we'll see if he's a wanderer! I had reins when I was little for my mum's sanity. I think they are a good idea x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->