What do you think of this girls name?

It sounds nice, but I think it's going to give your daughter practical problems for the rest of her life:

a. explaining how to say her name to everyone who only read it, or how to spell it to everyone who only heard it.
b. making friends with Spanish speaking people who will have to then call her "my daughter" in their native tongue. Awkward.

I live in san diego, ca. As near to mexico as you can get. While its a prett name, its used as a derogatory term towards slutty women. But if you live somewhere else, its really cute!
I live in the border town of El Paso, TX and worked teaching ESL at a homeless shelter for 2 years. I have literally never heard someone use it that way. BUT that's not to say it hasn't been used that way..... I've noticed Mexico is strange like that. One area of the country says a word that is completely inappropriate in another section of the country. Here it's just a name for a young girl, some use it specifically with their daughter and others use it for all young girls as a term of endearment.

And since Mia is so popular in the UK, how about Mina? I know a lady naming her daughter Wilhelmina and she is saying Mina for short.

Honestly, though, I think the name Mija is sort of cute for someone who isn't growing up in an area dominated with the Spanish or Mexican culture. It might be mispronounced a lot since the J in Spanish is very different than it is in English.

There are a lot of beautiful Spanish names though that you could also use.

I thought it sounded like a cute name but that was without knowing any about its meaning...I think you just have to weigh up the pros and cons and bear in mind she will have it for life. We have chosen a similar name Maia (my-ah)... I love anything beginning with a M! Xx

You should call your baby what you want to hun...I think it's cute too!

Mia is pretty common here. It's not I name I love, but I don't dislike it either.

My concern with the spelling you mentioned is all her life life she'd be asked 'How do you spell that?' Or 'How do you pronounce that?'

I wouldn't worry about the spelling...there are allsorts of different spellings for different 'common' names. I am usually asked how to spell Carly - there are so many variations! My nephew is called Maquelle (pronounced MACK ELLE). He doesn't have issues at school as it doesn't take long to get used to. Stick with what your heart is telling you :)

I know a girl called Maja (pronounced May-a)

thats similar and cute

I've never heard of it before so my opinion is based on what I've read on this thread but it does sound like more of a saying than a name to me.

I'd also be massively put off a name if as a pp said it was a derogatory term meaning slutty woman. Even if I didn't live in a culture where that was the case all it would take is for one mean kid at school with access to google and the child would be stuck with an unfortunate nickname for their entire school life.

I love Elizabeth though, that's going to be our middle name.

saying that my sons name is a derogatory insult in our neighboring country as is my next childs name but I couldn't give a **** as Jake(y) and Jess(y) are more likely to be seen as regular names rather than insults

I think Mija is a very beautiful name to say; it rolls off the tongue nicely and it also looks pleasing to the eye when written out.
Perhaps a change in spelling would help to not associate with the Mexican meaning to it?
Mia, as other people have suggested, is pronounced as Mee-uh...So, clearly a different name IMO.

Meeja I think is just as gorgeous written down and same pronunciation yet I wouldn't think of the Spanish association.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->