• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What do you think of this girls name

Bindi002003

Reaction score
Hi I am two weeks away from the birth of my second daughter and like the name gypsy what does everyone here think. Her older sister is matilda

I personally do not like the name Gypsy, sorry. Although I do like Dakota, which I have seen you mention previously

No please don't. Using this name could be considered offensive

This name could be considered offensive some schools might not allow it be used in class.

Well I am in Australia so it's not offensive here. And it's not on the list of banned names. But does anyone have other idea's for a name I like different names

I don't think it matters so much where you are from, it's a racial slur.

What kind of names do you like? If you liked how Matilda and Dakota both end with an a here's a few more.

Melinda, Esmeralda, Tabitha

IMO Matilda and Tabitha sound great!

Before you use the name please research it. It's not offensive because it's an American slang, Gypsy is a racial slur. It's an offensive term for a minority group of people, the Romani/Roma, in both the US and Europe. And while you may live in Australia who is to say that someone of this decent does not as well?

I don't know if you have ever heard the expression where if someone gets ripped off they say they got jipped? (jip/gyp) It derives from the word gypsy and hopefully that helps to illustrate why it is offensive.

https://www.behindthename.com/name/gypsy/comments

https://nameberry.com/babyname/Gypsy/comments

Here's what people say about the name on behind the name and nameberry. Make sure you read the comments by the people who are Romani. I am not Romani but I have a friend who is and I really just can't imagine someone knowingly nameing their child this.

Edit: I don't mean to come across as a bitch, I'm tying to inform you about this name and although I realize on your part it is not intentional it strikes a nerve.

A name that might have a similar "vibe" to the imagery you might be getting from the name is Journey so I'm throwing that in as another suggestion.

I agree with the above. Its a derogatory term worldwide.

Oh well it's still my choice and why should I not name my kid something I like because other people may not like it..as long as it's not on the banned list here I can use whatever i want

You created a thread asking what people thought and now you know. Do whatever you'd like, at least now you will know what you are doing.

There is a breed of horse named gypsy vanner. So in the USA at least it's not considered offensive or racial.

ETA -
And a reality TV show.. and a few other things I am sure.

I'd be more concerned of the impact of the name during school and in adult life, kids can be extremely cruel and at least here in the UK I think it'll leave the child open to bullying. Plus again in the UK, if someone saw that name on a job application would they be taken seriously?
But your right, it is your decision, your child and you choice what to name your child. I just wanted to give my view.

Oh well it's still my choice and why should I not name my kid something I like because other people may not like it..as long as it's not on the banned list here I can use whatever i want

So why bother asking opinions?

Why ask for opinions then?

I wouldn’t use it. It’s not a name and just because you live in Australia doesn’t mean your child will never travel outside the country. What if she wanted to go the US or Europe? She would have a name that is highly offensive and why on earth would you want to name your baby something that’s offensive? Your going to risk your child being bullied or have it held against them just because you like it ?

There is a breed of horse named gypsy vanner. So in the USA at least it's not considered offensive or racial.

ETA -

No, it is definitely considered offensive toward Romani people in the U.S. (especially women). Some people still don't recognize it as a racial slur but it is ... think about, for example, "Eskimo pie." Eskimo is a pretty rude slur but you still see it used because people didn't care in the past and it's still lingering.

We're slowly getting better at respecting people's racial heritage but a lot of hateful terms are still holding on.

I understand it's your choice to name your child but you also need to realize this is a whole human being you're naming. What might be cute on a toddler is one day going to belong to a 22-year-old woman looking for jobs, or a 40-year-old woman in the board room, or a 60-year-old woman meeting new people and introducing herself.

If my parents had named me something offensive I'd be devastated by it once I was old enough to understand. I'd hate to think of hurting someone with my name alone.

ETA -

No, it is definitely considered offensive toward Romani people in the U.S. (especially women). Some people still don't recognize it as a racial slur but it is ... think about, for example, "Eskimo pie." Eskimo is a pretty rude slur but you still see it used because people didn't care in the past and it's still lingering.

We're slowly getting better at respecting people's racial heritage but a lot of hateful terms are still holding on.

I understand it's your choice to name your child but you also need to realize this is a whole human being you're naming. What might be cute on a toddler is one day going to belong to a 22-year-old woman looking for jobs, or a 40-year-old woman in the board room, or a 60-year-old woman meeting new people and introducing herself.

If my parents had named me something offensive I'd be devastated by it once I was old enough to understand. I'd hate to think of hurting someone with my name alone.

I was not wanting to name my kid that. I was just tossing out there what I knew of the use of the word gypsy in the USA. Because again, it is a known horse breed.
https://vanners.org

I have never heard the word used in a offensive manner. Maybe I need to get out more. *shrug* ignorance is bliss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->