What do you think the future is going to be for pregnancy tests?

poppy

Mum of Three
Reaction score
I was just thinking how far pregnancy tests have come in the last couple of years.

I remember my mum saying that 30 years ago, you had to go to the doctor to confirm your pregnancy, but only after missing three periods!:wacko: Now I don't know if that was standard, but it was certainly her experience.

Even a couple of years ago, hpts were only the blue line ones that you had to wait a few days after your period.

When I was pregnant with Tristan, I used a digital to confirm about four days early and I thought that was amazing enough.:thumbup:

Now, you can test, even up to around six days early and can get a rough idea(I know it is not always accurate) of weeks of conception as well on your digi - that is amazing.

What do you think the future of pregnancy tests will be - possibly gives you out an hcg reading, or an exact day of conception. Or maybe contains a mini scanner that you can scan your belly and get a scan piccie. Who knows!:wacko:

haha I was thinking about this the other day too. When my mum was pregnant with me she said you had to go to the Dr to have pregnancy confirmed but you had to have missed 2 periods before they saw you. She also said pregnancy back then was only 38 weeks long because they counted from conception not from lmp.

I was thinking in the future they are going to be able to find ways to find out earlier and earlier. Like as soon as implantation happens there will be a test that can tell you etc..

I hope they make a test which can tell you EXACTLY how far along you are, and possibly one that says wether you've implanted or not - that would be awesome hehe :)
x

The problem with finding out to early, which is why back in the day you had to wait 8-12 weeks is the chance of miscarage.

Every woman has atleast 3 chemical pregnancys with out knowing she was pregnant. Most would go unnoticed unless you tested before your period was due. There is also a higher risk of miscarying before you are 8 weeks. Before home pregnancy tests if you sufferd an early loss you just thought your period was late. Most miscarages are not due to a problem. Finding out earlier and earlier not only makes the statistics go up but it caused more sadness and emotional heartache for the couples.

I idealy would like to find out i was pregnant around 12 weeks. Watch it though ill find out before im 5 weeks.

The problem with finding out to early, which is why back in the day you had to wait 8-12 weeks is the chance of miscarage.

Every woman has atleast 3 chemical pregnancys with out knowing she was pregnant. Most would go unnoticed unless you tested before your period was due. There is also a higher risk of miscarying before you are 8 weeks. Before home pregnancy tests if you sufferd an early loss you just thought your period was late. Most miscarages are not due to a problem. Finding out earlier and earlier not only makes the statistics go up but it caused more sadness and emotional heartache for the couples.

I idealy would like to find out i was pregnant around 12 weeks. Watch it though ill find out before im 5 weeks.

Totally agree with you on that one.

A few months before I got pregnant with Tristan, I had an early miscarriage (around 5 weeks - probably classed as a chemical pregnancy). I had tested about four days early and got myself really excited. I started bleeding about 8 days later. If I hadn't tested early, I would have just thought my period was a few days late (stress etc), but having built up my hopes and having it dashed was heartbreaking. I am hoping that if I get pregnant again, I will try and hold out until my period is a week or so late (I am going to say 'try').

Also totally agree with the posters above. New technology is great but I do think it will lead to more cases of heartache which is a shame.... having said that I can't say hand on heart that I won't use one myself :blush:

Yeah I think they will probably end up telling you the sex, or something :rofl:

I don't plan to test for a good while after lots of BD :sex:, but then I have irregular periods anyways, so hopefully if I test about a month or two down the line I will have passed the chemical stage. :happydance:

I say this but I may not be able to help myself :rofl:

i found out at 2 weeks pregnant with amelie and omg that pregnancy was soooo long :( I'd of rather have found out at 12-16 weeks so i wouldnt be so paranoid about mc.

Totally agree with the above comments! I didnt try with my first he was a massive shock. I thought when I went for a scan I was around 12 weeks when I was actually 17!! So my pregnancy went pretty quick but now we are going to be ttc in june I just know ill be poas all the time and then ill constantly worry about mc etc I would definately prefer to not find out to closer to 12 weeks but I really cant see that happening!!

we found out around 5 weeks with maddi, and honestly i'm so glad! this was using a digi, and like you poppy - i was bloody amazed!!
i was thinking about your thread, and i think the way forward is going to be home scanners! think about the rise in dopplers, for me, this is where it's probably heading.
my OH always reckons there is going to be something attached to the loo, which gives you a read out of your ov days/bfp/bfn!

I found at at 4 weeks with both of my pregnancies. I tested a day early on pregnancy number 1, and had a mmc at 11 weeks!
Then i tested at about 4wks and 3 days with joshua. made it soo long, those 8 weeks waiting for the scan were the longest. Wish i didn't know so early. But my periods were always 28 days exactly so it was hard not to test!
But they do keep getting more and more advanced!

My mum was told the same, wait till u have missed a few periods before u go to doctors

i cant imagine how much further they can go - as others have said it will change all the averages of people having mc which will be heartbreaking for many. Im pretty happy for it to stay just poas and get 1 line or 2. I would want to find out about 8 weeks i think but i have no chance of doing that - i will know if my period is a day late let alone 4 weeks and i couldnt not test! xx

I think the same. Although I could also live with finding out by 10 weeks.

with both of my pregnancies I found out early, the first was 4 weeks exactly and the second was about 5 weeks.
I would love to find out later but I can't help but test early.

I didn't test until I was really late with Connor and even then my pregnancy seemed like it lasted forever. I couldn't imagine how much longer it would have felt if I would have found out at 3 weeks.

I reckon instead of using pee, they'll use something that can scan the blood to give a more accurate and non-invasive way of confirming a pregnancy. A bit like a blood test, without the needle being involved. haha

I think im quite happy with the old peeing on a stick (POAS) method for the time being. :) Good thread though.

xxx

In the end they can't get earlier than the production of prenancy hormones /conception i think xD

These days with charting (mucus, temps, cervical position etc) once you know you've ovulated, and then your periods late. Surely it's pretty hard not to find out? lol.

I would like to know nearer the 12 week stage, but I'll know when I o'd, making it hard to not test when I'm late.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->