What film?

emyandpotato

Reaction score
Those who have been following my wedding blog know about my plans for a miniature cinema at my venue. I am gonna set it up using my laptop and a projector which is easy enough, but I'm not sure what films to play? I am thinking something vintage but I can't think of any old films that I love, other than the Railway Children and the original Willy Wonka but I don't think those are suitable, IDK? My favourite modern film is An Education but not sure that is suitable either? Suggestions?

Why would they not be suitable? If they're your favourite films then deffo put them on the list :thumbup: I agree that you should go for old classic films. Everyone loves The Railway Children and Willy Wonka. I like It's a Wonderful Life too and all those old black and white kinds of films. Were you wanting 'love' themed films?

No not specifically but I want something that goes with the style of the day IYKWIM? And preferably not a tragedy nor a huge blockbuster. I've never seen It's a Wonderful Life, what's it about?

Haha ok, definitely not It's a Wonderful Life then :lol: It's a bit Christmassy. And also quite a huge film! Are you wanting something a bit quirky and unknown? I'd try and search for details on some film festivals and what films were played. They'll all be unknown, and chances are they'll be a lot shorter than your usual '90min' films but they will also be harder to come by

I don't mind it being something well known although it has to be something I love, but I just can't think! I don't mind it being long either because I am guessing people will be wandering in and out of the room rather than sitting and watching the film from start to finish. Film will start at the same time as the dancing, gives people a nice alternative when they're really not that in to music.

Off the top of my head here are some films I love, but I don't know about suitibility:

An Education
Marie Antoinette
Pirate Radio
Fantastic Mr Fox (perhaps the most suited to the theme?!)
Youth in Revolt
Adventureland
Son of Rambow
Amelie (overdone as THE indie film though)
Oh and Mean Girls, St Trinians & Chalet Girl but somehow I think they might brand me as just slightly uncool :haha:

You know I can't even think what my favourite films are, mind has gone numb!

Some I think I'll love that aren't even out yet:

The Great Gatsby
The Hobbit (perhaps not the best idea :haha: )
On the Road.

That's it. That's all I can think of :shrug:

What about a love story like Casablanca or An Officer and a Gentleman?

Fantastic Mr Fox DEFINITLY!!!!! And Chalet Girl is one of my guilty pleasures too. Haha

How many films will you need to fill the evening? Or are you going to have a selection for guests to choose from? x

You know I'm giving guests those arrival boxes that will have an order of the day in them? Gonna add to that there's a cinema and that it will be opening at a certain time (after the meal?) and what film will be showing. Think I will just put the film on loop because I don't want guests messing with my laptop (hoping laptop and projector can be disguised so they aren't too noticeable in the room) and plus it means I won't have to be going in to put a new film on. Sound okay? Like I said it'll probably just be somewhere to relax rather than for people to watch the whole film.

Amjon I have never seen any of those films, sorry :blush:

I think Fantastic Mr Fox is perfect. It's lighthearted, but grown up, but not 'questionable', and quirky. You might end up losing a lot of your guests to the cinema room though :lol: I can't stop watching a film if I'm enjoying it. Haha

Sounds so good!
I think putting it on loop is the perfect idea because also you won't want people just sitting in there all night watching lots of films and not enjoying all the other parts of your day :)

If it was me I'd have all fave musicals, but OH would never let me get away with that one :winkwink:

I think you should just pick all your (and OH's of course) all time favorites regardless of what you think others will think, because after all the day is about you :winkwink:

Btw I would definately include willy wonka if it was me :thumbup:

Sorry saw this and thought 'oooo fab idea'

What about a musical type of film like a Ginger Rodgers and Fred Astaire one? Like Top Hat? Or Singing in the Rain? Or West Side Story? I'm just thinking it would be cool with music.

Or Hitchcock? But then if you've got kids about you don't want them wandering in on anything a bit spooky.

If you've got a vintage theme, I would say a Poirot maybe? Or what I think is lovely is Just William stories that were played years ago on BBC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->