What floor? Top or ground?

I like top. Apart from the hassle of stairs, it tends to be quieter. And warmer - heat rises ;) my neighbour below likes her heating on a lot so we prob save in energy bills pmsl

Our stairs are so hard to climb, not sure how il manage when the next baby comes along!
Saying that I still like being top floor, feel theres alot more privacy and quieter. Just wish it was easier to get everyrhing up the stairs

We live in a top floor flat (there are only 2 floors anyway lol) I feel much safer than being on groundlevel, and the heat from the flat below rises into ours so its always warm! x

Top floor. I lived on the ground floor in my last flat and it was a nightmare. Really noisy neighbours at all hours of the night and because it was run by a shoddy estate agent they didn't keep the plumbing in good repair and we had water coming through our ceiling followed by a dispute over who would pay to get the ceiling fixed. also someone tried to break in.

Our flat now is safer, quieter and we don't suffer from damp problems like we did in the last one. I get my shopping online and delivered so it's carried up the stairs for me and I'm lucky to have a cupboard on the ground floor that I can keep my pushchairs, car seats and LO's trike in so don't have to lug that up either.

Thank you so much everyone for all the replies.

I'm thinking that if I do go for a flat I'd prefer the top. I think since my son can walk the stairs won't be too bad since I don't need to bump a pram up and down them.

If there's no lift then top floor can be a pain when you have kids, especially if you can't store prams/pushchairs in the lobby or bike storage shed. But on the other hand, on the top floor you don't have to hear other people's footsteps (although they might moan about yours). In one building I had a problem with leaks when I was on the top floor but not in any other block of flats I lived in (I always lived on the top floor)

We live on the top floor and love it. We always said that if we were to move into a flat we'd only consider top floor because middle may be noisy, and downstairs is more likely to get spiders :lol: we hardly hear the people downstairs :)

Personally prefer top to bottom but it has to have lift x

I used to live in a ground floor. Safety wise, I felt safe. I had a lady opposite me and an elderly man above. I lived there on my own with DD for most of the time I was there.

I used to hear little noise but nothing major. The man above was a bit deaf so I used to sometimes hear his tv but nothing huge.

The only problem I had was when the bath above me started leaking into my bathroom ceiling but as it was rented through HA they fixed it within a couple of hours

I have never lived in a flat,but the thought of sleeping at ground level is quite scary for me, so I would have to opt for top floor. Also pp mentioned the spider thing, genius, top floor for sure lol

My OH wants me to add that top floor is safer in the event of a zombie attack!

Thats a hard one. With the top you'll have to do alot of carrying of bags/buggies/sleeping children and the thought of a fire ect making it harder to get out scares the crap out of me. Saying that though we live on the ground floor and i HATE all the noisy arse people walking past out bedroom windows, esp at night. I also dont feel safe from burglars ect so never want to keep the windows open for long. Its a tough choice but if i got to choose (we didnt :( ) i would have chose 1st or 2nd floor.

but if zombies attacked the last thing you want is to be stuck at the top of a flat, you could get surrounded and unable to get out for supplies and what if you didnt secure the place properly... eventually they could get in and there would be no way out... obviously depending on what type of zombies there were an out break of!

cant believe i just answered that seriously :rofl:

Tough one...

Ground floor for me often meant you'd have access to the garden. If that would be the case, that's a big plus. You wouldn't have to worry about the kids running around if there is no one under you. The fire thing is a major concern of mine, but then again, we have all our bedrooms upstairs! I don't know if there would be stairs outside in the back?

Top floor has less flooding risk. No one above you to make the noise. However, it does have stairs and that means carrying things up and down all the time...

I think I prefer the ground floor myself, but that would be with good people upstairs that aren't causing a major ruckus at the worst of times. I like peace and quiet at home!

but if zombies attacked the last thing you want is to be stuck at the top of a flat, you could get surrounded and unable to get out for supplies and what if you didnt secure the place properly... eventually they could get in and there would be no way out... obviously depending on what type of zombies there were an out break of!

cant believe i just answered that seriously :rofl:

When he gets home from work later I'll get him to explain his reasoning.

Trust me he has spent way too much time thinking about this, he's read a book on it and for his birthday last year I paid for him to go on a zombie swat team training course.

I think it all depends on the type of flat you go for. If it was a big block of flats then I would probably say top, purely because of noise.

I currently live in a ground floor flat but it is a converted house, so there is only one flat above me. It is also a row of terraced housed so I have people either side of me too. I feel really safe here (have lived here alone for 7 months). Yeah I check the doors before I go to bed but doesn't everyone? I also live on a busy road so get a lot of noise from that, but honestly, it makes me feel safer knowing there are people just outside a lot of the time. I have a private yard and love being able to nip in and out, without having the hassle of the stairs. Like someone else has said with the fire issue, I am probably safer here too. My bedroom is at the front, on the main road, but I have voil at the windows so no one can see in. I also have a tall hedge for privacy. I love my flat and the convenience of being on the ground floor. I can imagine if I had children it would be good as they could play out in the yard whilst I was indoors and I would feel safe about it, whereas if I were upstairs I think I would worry more as I wouldn't be able to see and hear them as well.

I like top. Apart from the hassle of stairs, it tends to be quieter. And warmer - heat rises ;) my neighbour below likes her heating on a lot so we prob save in energy bills pmsl

This!! We in the middle of 3 floors below us is an old dear who has her heating on constantly and above us they are the same since we moved into this flat 12 months ago we havent had to put the heating on at all :flower:

Neither lol. I was top floor a few years ago and god downstairs was loud but then if ur bottom u will probably hear upstairs lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->