What folic acid/prenatal vitamins are best?

P

Pancha67

Hi

We are due to start TTC in July 2014. I am still on Microgynon pill until then.

Which do you girls recommend as I want to start having them from now?

I know superdrug do cheap folic acid (just their own brand for £3.49) but there are other makes that have added vitamins etc for double plus the price.

I was just planning on taking the Superdrug ones with 400ug of just folic acid.

Thanks for your help

Don't know what's "best", but I've started the Rainbow Light Just Once. I was terrified when I first saw how big the pills look, but I haven't had any problems at all with them. I like that's it's just one pill a day. It also has some digestive aids to offset any tummy issues the iron may have. It has everything except DHA which I really wish it had, but I'm going to start a seperate pill for that.

Before we started trying for DD I was taking the tesco folic acid as they're silly cheap and are very often on 3for2. When we started trying I started taking Seven Seas Trying for a Baby as those are nice and small. Boots often to 3for2 on those too and I think they're about £5 a pack rather than £10 for pregnacare. Once I got my bfp I bought pregnacare but couldn't swallow pills that big so I carried on on the Seven Seas ones.

There isn't necessarily a 'best' prenatal to take. Just whatever is best for you.

Hi,

I am in the same boat as you WTT this July. I did a little research and inclined towards New Chapter Perfect Prenatal, ordered those today. Apparently, they are plant-derived and easy to absorb.

https://uk.evitamins.com/perfect-pr...gclid=COXni5DMmr4CFZMQtAodLTMAMQ#.U2qP7PldX1c

Quite expensive for 48 tablets if you have to take 3 a day?! :O

I used the boots own brand when I was pregnant with DD and have used them again this time round. The appeal for me is the size, I'm rubbish at taking tablets but the boots ones are no bigger than the contraceptive pill

IM just taking folic acid cheap brand but when officially ttc in dec will move to pregnacare likely.

With my 1st LO, I was taking CitraNatal Assure (I think that was the name). They were really good, but expensive ($40 with insurance) and you need a prescription (at least here in the US you do, idk about elsewhere)

The best form of folate is called methyltetrahydrofolate, also known as 5-MTHF. About 30% of the population has a genetic defect that prevents the conversion of folic acid into a usable form, which is the MTHF. It's sold as a supplement on it's own, and wouldn't be harmful to take even if you didn't have the genetic defect. It's more expensive than regular folic acid, but it's worth it if you want the best form of folic acid. This taken in addition to a regular prenatal would be great :)

By the way, for those of us who are more towards the "advanced age" end of the fertility spectrum, there is some promising research that is showing a decreased risk of Down's Syndrome with MTHF supplementation since folate is so important in DNA replication. Just thought I'd mention that for any other science geeks like me :flower:

Here's a link to an example of a company that sells this product: https://www.pureformulas.com/5-mthf-methyltetrahydrofolate-1mg-100-vegetarian-capsules-by-health-products-distributors.html?CUSTOMTRACKING=CUSTOMTRACKING&CAWELAID=530005240000214761&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=530005240000712718&cadevice=c&gclid=CJePoq7dnL4CFcOBfgod7YIAPA#sthash.2ekWq2pc.dpbs
Looks like they will only ship within the US, but I'm sure international peeps could find a similar product with a Google search.

Thanks for your help guys :)

I went for Sanatogen Mum to be. They were 3 for £10.00 in ASDA and I think you can take before and during.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->