What happens at your first midwife appointment?

musicjunkiee

Reaction score
I'm around 9 n a half weeks n have my first appointment tomorrow. What happens?? What do they do?

They test your pee and take a blood sample, check your blood pressure, that kind of stuff. Nothing too invasive :)

- Give loads of information about pregnancy dos and donts (foods to avoid etc), any pregnancy classes available in your area, breastfeeding advice, screening tests etc
- Discuss birth options i.e. where you want to have baby
- Take information about yours and the babys father health etc
- Weight and Height are taken to calculate BMI
- Blood pressure check
- Blood Test
- Urine sample is sent to labs to be tested
- Dating scan scheduled

Hope this helps :) x

-

Depends on where you live, and if its your first pregnancy or not etc.

1st pregnancy
- urine sample
- blood work
- blood pressure
- weight checked
- ultrasound
- pap smear

2nd pregnancy
- urine sample
- blood work
- blood pressure
- weight checked
- Doppler used to pick up heartbeat

I had the appointment, it was fine! It wasn't my normal midwife as she is in holiday so I had to see a stand in but she was so nice!

They did bloods, blood pressure, weight, height etc n everything completely normal.

My scan isn't until 17th out which means I'll be aroun 13 weeks.

She also offered me the Down's syndrome test but I declined. I figured I'm 24 so my risks based on age are low, and were pretty sure if the baby had got downs, we would still go through with it. Did u guys have the test? Or are u having it?

Glad your first appointment went well :)

I accepted the down syndrome testing, I had it done when I was pregnant with DD too. Im the same age as you. It is a really personal decision, some women want to know their chances, others dont. For me, I just like knowing these things, I think knowing as much as I can helps me deal with situations better. But I understand why many ladies would rather wait. x

I accepted the test, I felt that it baby did have DS we'd definitely go ahead with the pregnancy but I kinda wanted to be 'mentally prepared' although we came back as low risk :thumbup:

Enjoy your scan :D

Be decided not to have it. Been on clomid and we'll love the baby whatever.

Even if I was high risk, I wouldn't want the amniocentesis with my pcos experience getting pregnant so it seems pointless really.

There's no right or wrong, I just wondered what u all did xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->