What happens immediately after baby is born?

LoveCakes

Reaction score
If I have a section it'll be an emergency one as none planned at the moment. I was wondering once they show you the baby what happens? Does your partner go with the baby while you are being stitched up or does he stay with you? How long does it normally take?

I know everywhere is different but all the info seems to be about up to the birth part.

Unless baby is poorly they don't leave the room. My husband Sat next to me holding our son while they stitched me up and then we all went to recovery x

Ask about your hospital policy and how they usually do things though because they are all different and you might have to request certain things. At the hospital I asked at not all of the doctors even let the dad be in the room. Also an emergency CS is more likely to involve a general anesthetic which is quite different.

I've had an EMCS and will be having an ELCS on Tuesday.

The baby is shown to you, then taken to be cleaned/checked etc and hubby can go over and watch, then he will be given the baby and sit next to you. They will try and bring baby as close as possible to you but it is awkward.

I believe some places you can have it more 'natural' and try and get skin to skin/hold baby before cleaned etc...but not sure how it works.

Sorry, this was meant to be in the C Section- section.

Thanks for the responses, I'd like to think hubby and baby wouldn't go off and leave me on my own.

Hopefully I won't find out but it would be good to know as much as possible in advance.

When I say taken to be checked, it's literally across the operating room, not anywhere different. Sorry should have made that a bit clearer. I could see where mike and Josh were but couldn't see them if that makes sense?

And there will always be midwife/nurse/anaesthetist right next to you anyway, so you wouldn't be completely alone xxx

If I had a CS I would try and find a doctor who whould do imediate skin to skin. I would go be so upset if anyone took my baby anywhere to do anything before I got to hold it. Thats just a personal thing though.

My DS was premature so they showed him to us and then took him to the other side of the room to do the tests ans then he went into the incubator for a few hours. He was jaundiced as well, but didn't leave the room and I got to hold and feed him in recovery a few hours later.

I had an emergency section at Stoke Mandeville. My epidural carried me through in terms of pain relief so I was awake during the operation.
Your partner will be in the OR with you throughout the procedure, as well as a nurse who will sit at the top end of the table by your head. She will hold your hand and talk you through each stage, if you wish. You won't be able to see anything the doctors are doing down the other end because they put a screen up. After the birth it is very hard to hold a baby while you are flat on your back being stitched back up (which takes some time). But your OH will sit next to you and hold the baby while this happens, and then you will be taken to recovery and will be able to do skin to skin and breastfeed before you go upstairs to the ward. To be honest, after a long labour and the overwhelming experience of a section combined with the immediate after effects of giving birth, the fact that I could only look at my daughter and not hold her was not an issue for me.

If I had a CS I would try and find a doctor who whould do imediate skin to skin. I would go be so upset if anyone took my baby anywhere to do anything before I got to hold it. Thats just a personal thing though.

After my daughter was delivered by section, she was taken to a table within the room to do the first Apgar. "Trying to find a doctor" is a physical impossibility when you are lying on a table, cut open and the staff in the room are busy doing their jobs. It only took a couple of moments before they bought her over to me.

I had an emergency section at Stoke Mandeville. My epidural carried me through in terms of pain relief so I was awake during the operation.
Your partner will be in the OR with you throughout the procedure, as well as a nurse who will sit at the top end of the table by your head. She will hold your hand and talk you through each stage, if you wish. You won't be able to see anything the doctors are doing down the other end because they put a screen up. After the birth it is very hard to hold a baby while you are flat on your back being stitched back up (which takes some time). But your OH will sit next to you and hold the baby while this happens, and then you will be taken to recovery and will be able to do skin to skin and breastfeed before you go upstairs to the ward. To be honest, after a long labour and the overwhelming experience of a section combined with the immediate after effects of giving birth, the fact that I could only look at my daughter and not hold her was not an issue for me.

After my daughter was delivered by section, she was taken to a table within the room to do the first Apgar. "Trying to find a doctor" is a physical impossibility when you are lying on a table, cut open and the staff in the room are busy doing their jobs. It only took a couple of moments before they bought her over to me.

Obviously an emergency CS is a bit different. What I mean is that if I had to have a planned CS I'd try and find a doctor before the operation who would be open to imediate skin to skin contact and delayed cord cutting. Some will, some won't. What I found talking to nurses and doctors is that they have very different styles. Some will not even let the father be in the same room, some take it as standard. In an emergency situation you don't get much control over choosing a doctor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->