What helped you when starting out

- A very supportive DH who, like me, was determined our baby would get BFed and brought me food and drink, told me the sore nipples would get better etc.

- To be honest, I never even entertained the thought of FF. We don't have any formula in the house and in my family and DH's family everyone was BFed. It was just normal.

- I had no stupid comments from anyone, no-one saying I would probably give up after a few weeks anyway (I'm shocked every time I read here that people have been told that by their friends and relatives!)

- Nipple cream and St. John's Wort!

- The advice I found on here was very useful, and remembering that each baby has its own rhythm and doesn't have to keep to a feeding plan or have a routine already at 3 months!

- The enjoyment LO got out of it and still does, watching him grow and being told he's gaining weight, seeing his little legs get chubbier every day!

- A very supportive midwife and HV, but I know that's not always a given.

This thread is great. My DD is a week old and breastfed with 1 formula top-up a day which i'm also pumping to store and i'm starting to struggle. It's our first baby although my bf is supportive in learning about bfing from kellymom etc he's still tending to sit around for most of the day rather than do some chores etc round the house which would really help me. I can't just 'leave it' as he suggests and with Nancy cluster feeding like mad at the moment I just don't have chance to do much other than feed her during the day and it's stressing me out having a sink full of dishes, unvacuumed floor etc. Think we need to have a chat once he wakes from his nice lie in...! :growlmad:

I really struggled with breastfeeding because of having my baby boy by emergency caesarean after a failed induction at 38 weeks so my milk just wasn't there yet, but perseverance of putting him to the breast before every bottle feed meant that on day 5 my milk suddenly arrived! Also he took a while to learn to latch on because of having a bottle for the first 5 days so I found nipple shields were a huge help as he was able to latch on with them and eventually we were able to stop using them and I successfully breastfed Charlie for 5 months until it wasn't enough to sustain him! He is a big boy on the 99.6% centile! x x x

Being told to make sure his bottom lip is curled...how simple!!
My partner being supportive. and my midwife calling ff 'artificial feeding?!?!'
A good health visitor who ff her kids, which totally relieved any pressure, and having bottles, formula, steralised at hand because I couldnt feed my dayghter!
So all in all, basically, No pressure, still bf now 3months later...still cry at almost every feed, had yeast infection in my milk ducts... Blooming horrible and got really bad inverted nipples, few more weeks and I'm happy to stop, but through all of the agony, it's been a lovely lovely experience and I will cry forever when we stop

I just kept telling myself "It'll be more work for me to FF with all the washing and sterilising" Though to be fair I'm having trouble finding the energy to wash and sterilise for expressing, lazy moo I am! :haha:

This is a great thread! I unfortunately have flat and inverted nipples (talk about a double whammy) so from 12 weeks I was given nipple stretching exercises as I was demand to bf. Labor cam and went 3hrs mind you amazing! And I tried and tried with no luck as not only did I have the flat an inverted nipples but my son was born with a huge over bite so his bottom lip sucked in and he couldn't latch on. I still continued to try everytime he needed to feed and if after half an hour no success I would express which I was devastated about. We got home from the hospital and I was using nipple shields as that seemed to help him latch and after a week and a half we had to drive back home interstate which was a 19hr drive so I made the decision there and then to get formula as my son has kidney problems and couldn't afford for him to not be getting enough fluids in a 19hr 45c heated drive. So 3 more weeks went by and I was so depressed at my decision to stop bf and my son was horrendously constipated from the formula and I felt like a failure! One night he had been crying for about an hour in trying to poop and I don't know why but I decided to try and bf and sure enough he latched on straight away and fed for an hour! Just over 2 weeks later and we are full time bf and no more formula we are still using nipple shields as he clamps down on my nipple constantly but we are now working on weaning him off them as I think he has started to learn not be gentle so I think even in the worst cases with determination love and complete and utter unselfish dedication bf is possible, I would never have it any other way and the bond that I share with my son is amazing and I would do it all again to have what we have. I would have to say my sister has been my biggest inspiration she bf her son till he was 2 and with her help and acceptance and support I managed to achieve my goal.

Oh and another thing it is actually easier to bf there is no washing a million and one bottles you don't actually have to get up and heat the bottle and worry about the mess that come with ff my LO threw up constantly with formula and only has a little stipple out the side with bf i am 100% pro bf it is incredible.

Great thread :thumbup:

I've been reading this to keep myself motivated during the long nights of what seems like continuous bfing. x

For me it was also persistence. Knowing that it would be hard work and just sticking with it. The first few weeks were horrible, sleep deprivation as no one else could help and low supply and sore nipples from feeding, feeding, feeding. I just stuck it out though, and fed as often as possible in order to get my supply up.

But now 11 weeks in, BFing is so convenient, a great tool for comforting as well as feeding little guy, easy and I love looking into his beautiful brown eyes as he chomps away.

Honestly, it will get better really soon! I found that for the first month or so, bubs was continually attached to my breasts, for food, to bring in my supply and for comfort. But now at 11 weeks he gets done in 15 mins, what used to take an hour.

It has probably been said time and again, but SKIN TO SKIN was the BEST thing that helped me when I started BF.
LO and I just snuggled under a blanket, skin to skin, and I nursed and nursed and nursed for the first 3 weeks or so. Felt like it would never end, but it slowly did, and it really helped me to learn his cues.

Also, I think it is really important to understand the feeding patterns of BF babies. BF milk is easier to digest, therefore babies will need to feed more often. Also, you NEED them to feed frequently to build up your milk supply.
It might FEEL like forever, but it is actually for such a short part of BF.. except when they are going through a growth spurt, when they may do it again for a short while.

Lastly, IT DOES GET BETTER.. IT REALLY DOES.... now I actually get a bit sad when I think it will all be over in only a year or two.. depending.

Knowing it was the choice I made, and the fact I was determined to do it!! Also everytime I was negative or would mention giving up because it was so tiring, and uncomfortable, my boyfriend told me it would get better and just to keep it up. Having him supporting me probably helped the most!

Also, anyone who is thinking about giving up, just know that it does and will get better!!! And then you will forget why you were going to give up to begin with!

:flower:

I bf my elderst daughter for only 6wks as I really thought it wasnt going to get easier, It felt like all I was doing was breastfeeding all day, had no problem with her latching or any other issues but just felt like it was taking up so much of the day, but have heard so many women tell me it does get quicker. So because I was convinced that it doesnt get easier I bottle fed my second daughter and I really regret doing that.

Anyway this time I am so determined to hang in there and I wont give up.

Thanks ladies, love hearing positive stories.

For me its got to be the fact that I could co sleep when little one was having a growth spurt.

I mixed feed the first 3-4weeks, as baby was hypoglycaemic after deliver and also developed jaundice so ended in nicu again for phototherapy.

I was just to lazy to go down the stairs and get formula ready, so just brought baby to bed one night he fed non stop while I snooze, after 3 continuous nights, supply was up to par and no further need for supplementation.
Co-sleeping made this easy as I did not feel sleep deprived

Also other things that help - was watching the online video on lactching, supply etc, I recommend info by Dr Jack Newman, the consultant paediatrician. I never had mastitis, cracked nipples, no nothing.

My brest friend breast feeding cushion was amazing on the back, while nursing during the day.

I ended breasfeeding for 13 months, he is now 5 y/o and doing well, expecting number 2 now.

I was determined that I would breastfeed for six weeks no matter how hard it got I would not stop breastfeeding. It was that goal that help me survive thrush I had it on my breast and so did my son we were passing it back and forth it was a pain worst the labor. But since I had told myself I would not quit for 6 weeks and I felt it was the best for my baby I did not quit and nursed him for 18 months

I'm only just going into my second week, I must admit, I have thought about giving up when I get up in the mornings to feed him and he wont latch. But I am determined. I enjoy it and I like the bonding I get from it. So for me it's absolute determination. I know how good it is for my LO too. So I won't give up.

I decided I was going to stick with it beforehand, I had lots of support from my family and I used the breastfriend pillow for support. Lots of lansinoh and newman's ointment as well as breast gel soothers as I was really cracked up.

With my first baby, I was so determine to breastfeed but had no idea how painful it would be! So I ended up bottle feeding her. With the second baby, I was able to stick it out with the help of lactating consultants at the hospital and BF the entire first year, but it was very difficult to try to get her to use a cup because the only way she wanted to eat was by BFing. Now, if we ever have a 3rd baby, it should be like second nature to BF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->