What helped you when starting out

For me, it was hubby telling me to GET UP at 2.30 am to pump since our boy can't tell us he's hungry when he's in the NICU and I"m at home...

Having another adult around to help pass the time. DH is wonderful as he gets up with me for night feedings and just sits there in the nursery with me. My mom and girlfriends spent the 1st few weeks visiting and chatting me up while I was chair-bound. Now, they all got to see more than their fair share of my boobies - but they're good sports about it!

What helped me was a supportive family, my boppy pillow, a good recliner, lots of fluids/snacks, nipple cream, and quick access tops/bras. :)

It' so important to have support from your spouse during this time.

There is a wonderful place in my town called Milk Works (I know there were a few ladies from Nebraska on third trimester, not sure if they are here? I am guessing they would know about it) with just the most amazing support for nursing mothers. It's like LLL but in your neighborhood. I go there at least once a week to see my lactation consultant and weigh baby. They gave me confidence to keep going and to have faith in LO and myself and our bf relationship.

B&B has also been a great resource - thank you so much ladies! I can always count on someone answering my question or pointing me to right information.

Also, a friend of mine that had a lot of problems was a great resource.

And, of course, as some of you mentioned, "It gets better" saying. I reluctantly believed it and it came true.

Special thanks goes to my Medela pump.

I envy all of you. I was living in a very isolated farm when i had my first baby. no one told me what to do. My LO grabbed my boob after birth and off we went. My nipples cracked, I grinned and bore it. It got better. After 6 months BF exclusiely someone asked why I wasn't giving her baby food. Well, no one had told me to! I BF until she was 13 months and I was pregnant again. Second baby was fine as I had figured it all out by then. Third baby - now don't laugh - I've fed her for three years so far. Don't want to stop.

Well done jennyroselee! :) you certainly won't get mocked for extended breastfeeding on here! :thumbup: x

Educating yourself as much as you possibly can, and learning how to latch, for me that is the secret to a successful breastfeeding relationship!

Friends of mine being honest, telling me that the first few weeks are hard but that it does get easier... and it does! My husband, family, friends and community midwives have all been very supportive which really helped me keep going. In a more practical sense, nipple shields enabled me to continue BF when my milk came in and I was too engorged for DD to latch on herself. Also lansinoh nipple cream is awesome! :winkwink:

Jaffa cakes and cuddles and an OH who lets me scream at him when I can't cope.

Even though I'm still "just starting out", this forum has helped me out a ton! Whenever I've been super discouraged, in tons of pain or just up at god-awful hours for a cluster-feed, I've gotten a lot of information and inspiration from reading these posts.

Other than that, lots of Lansinoh and my amazing husband who is doing anything he can to help!

My lo was literally born yesterday 9\22\11 and after my family left and i've had my first of many break downs i decided to get on here. my spirits are already being up lifted!

Things that helped me:

Being determined to make it work. I really wanted to breastfeed my little one and was determined to do it. I trusted myself to be able to do it and let my LO take the lead.

Friends telling me that the first few weeks are really hard. It helped me to prepare for it and didn't come as quite such a shock. It was also good to know that it would gradually get easier.

This forum helped me too. I didn't have time to post much when she was first born but just reading and knowing there were people I could ask for help was great.

Finding a local breastfeeding support group was great. I've had lots of help from the peer supporters and have made some new friends too.

Having a supportive husband and family was a big help too. My husband never presurised me to continue or to give up. He was just a great support and there when I needed him.

Lansinoh cream is great.

I found that having the support from my family helped me a lot, I was so close to giving up in the first few weeks but they kept me going.
BF was especially hard when my milk came in, engorgement made it very difficult for my little one to latch on and so i used nipple shields for a week or so until my milk supply had settled a little.
I also wrote myself a list of all the benefits of BF so that every time i started to doubt myself i could just read through and remind myself how good it is for me and baby.

My little girl is now almost 13 weeks old and feeding beautifully, I feel I have an extra special bond with her and can't imagine things any other way!
You just have to keep going, it only gets better :)

In Sweden where I come from, it's really the norm to breastfeed. So I don't even think i thought that there was an alternative, everyone around me breastfed.
Straight after the births (have had 3 breastfed babies) the midwife has told me to feed them and then the midifes have been very supportive.

I have to say though, that there were times when I wanted to give it up, bleeding nipples, mastistis, but then everyone kept saying it would soon pass. And it did. And after that it was just so handy, you can just go out anywhere without having to think about food, just find a cafe or park to feed.

I was really determined to do it but support from my breastfeeding group was the best help ever, I couldn't have done it without them and my very supportive family.

This thread has been an amazing help, let's keep it going!! My daughter is 16 days old and I'm bf,& have very sore niPples ATM even tho her latch is correct, this thread has inspired me that things do get easier and shown me how much I am benefiting my baby:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->