What if I don't recognize labor?...

Bluewings

Blessed Twice
Reaction score
I KNOW this is an "irrational fear" for many pregnant women, but I didn't know I was in active labor last time as since I'm wanting a VBAC this time I want to be at hospital a lot sooner than like 7-8cm LOL.

I am so anxious I will not know :-( And saying "You'll know" is false! I had no idea last time!!

That happened to my friend. She didn't know. It was only going to the hospital just because the pains she'd been having for the past few weeks were slightly worse and her husband made her go that they did an internal and realised she was 4-5cm dilated!

When she had her second child though, she had proper contractions and knew she was in labour. Hopefully it'll be the same for you this time. I know my friend said she was actually looking forward to experiencing labour properly x

Just to add, if you do have proper contractions this time, you will definitely know about it. For me, it was like intense period pains. And when I say intense, I mean period pains x 1,000,000 :) xx

I'm the same way...I had NO idea I was in labor with DD...I actually went back to sleep :dohh: When I timed them, I realized I was in labor and when i turned up at the hospital I was 6 cm :wacko:
I'm so paranoid this time around because of that...

I know exactly how you feel I only knew I was in labour last time because my waters went, I can imagine if labour starts before my waters go this time il be completely oblivious to it until I'm a cripple on the floor.

I'm having the same fears, it took me a while to realise I was in active labour, then I thought I would carry on labouring at home for a bit longer as I'd only just realised, but by this time the contractions were nearly on top of each other and very very strong so I thought I'd go in and see how I was doing.... I was 9cm dilated!!
Hoping I don't leave it too long this time, but would also like to labour at home again until the pain gets really bad.

I have the same insecurity because I've never experienced it before :shrug: everyone keeps telling me that I'll know when it's time, but I've heard soooooo many ladies not knowing and going to the hospital right before their LO's were born!

A friend was telling me yesterday that his wife's labor progressed so quickly that he had to deliver her at home with their doctor on the phone like they do in the movies :haha: I didn't know whether to laugh or be terrified! :haha:

I have an appointment with my doctor and midwife on wednesday for my weekly ultrasound and a "lesson" on breathing techniques and what to look out for since I could go into labor at any time! Hopefully that will shed some light on things

I didn't know last time haha.
I was having pains but they weren't bad at all and everything OH and I read about false labour described what was happening. So we both just finished our dinner and went to bed.
Woke up in the morning to pains a lot worse and went to hospital and was 7cm. Even the MW didn't think I was in labour as I could 'talk trough contractions' though :L

Ah well :)

I guess that's what bothers me. They classify that if you can talk through then then you're fine, and not in active enough labor... but my DH says that when we were even on our way to hospital I was completely able to form coherent sentences and talk normally.

This all irritates me! LOL

I'm really worried about this too!!! I'm sure it's irrational as I will *know* but although I feel contractions at what point should I go to hospital?? When I had contractions earlier this week my hospital were like you don't need to come in until you need pain meds. Well 1) I'm hoping to go without, I want a water birth and 2) what if I end up being one of those women who just copes?? I doubt it, but... :haha: My contractions were 2 mins apart in the end and I easily dealt with the pain. Ok so I know that wasn't real labour but it's still stressing me out!

I am afraid I will be able to cope with it and not know until baby's head is literally about to push through O_O

I am afraid I will be able to cope with it and not know until baby's head is literally about to push through O_O

:shock:

This is scaring me!! You may find you recognise it this time as its your second?

I didn't realise if you can talk through contractions they don't consider you in active labour. I was talking, texting and laughing through mine. My OH was in South Africa and due to fly out the next day to come to Ireland. I was texting him to tell him he might just make it after all because I wasn't getting bad pains and they told me to get some sleep :haha: 2 hours later I called him to tell him he was a daddy.

Maybe talk to your midwife and explain you're worried because of what happened the last time, she/he might be able to give you some things to look out for or at least advise you on what to do.

I guess that's what bothers me. They classify that if you can talk through then then you're fine, and not in active enough labor... but my DH says that when we were even on our way to hospital I was completely able to form coherent sentences and talk normally.

When I was on my way to the hospital I asked to stop at McDonald's because I knew they wouldn't let me eat :haha: And when they asked me if I wanted an epi, I responded with 'I guess....' Definitely wasn't 'cannot talk through contraction' type if labor....makes me more nervous...

i didnt know when i was in labor with my son either! i was booked in to be induced and when i got there i was already 5cm dilated and having contractions and i didnt even feel a thing! doctor told me that i had a very high pain threshold but i was thinking what pain!? lol so now you have me worried because im planning a VBAC this time!

When I was on my way to the hospital I asked to stop at McDonald's because I knew they wouldn't let me eat :haha: And when they asked me if I wanted an epi, I responded with 'I guess....' Definitely wasn't 'cannot talk through contraction' type if labor....makes me more nervous...

Omg!! I was scheduled for a C so when I went in fr my appt and my OB saw I was dilating and fully effaced (and oblivious to being in labor!) he ordered me to to to the hospital right away. I asked him if I could stop at McDonalds too!
Hahah!

I didn't realise if you can talk through contractions they don't consider you in active labour. I was talking, texting and laughing through mine. My OH was in South Africa and due to fly out the next day to come to Ireland. I was texting him to tell him he might just make it after all because I wasn't getting bad pains and they told me to get some sleep :haha: 2 hours later I called him to tell him he was a daddy.

Maybe talk to your midwife and explain you're worried because of what happened the last time, she/he might be able to give you some things to look out for or at least advise you on what to do.

I talked to the female OB and she said I will be unable to move and holding on to a wall or something. Her contractions were this way and so I think this is the expected standard...? I tell my OB's at each appt that I didn't know last time and I'm concerned but they all say the same thing... time them (ummm but I may not know I'm having them... lol) and when they're intense or my water breaks to go to hospital :-/

Omg!! I was scheduled for a C so when I went in fr my appt and my OB saw I was dilating and fully effaced (and oblivious to being in labor!) he ordered me to to to the hospital right away. I asked him if I could stop at McDonalds too!
Hahah!

Priorities right? :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"