What if there was no state or goverment help

bbyno1

Reaction score
I took this thread from another section of the forum as i thought it was quite a good Q.

If assistance was not available from the state or government, do they think
there would be less unplanned and teenage pregnancies?

Edit:I think its a little un fair to aim it at the teens but yeah,that was the original Q.

I don't thInk there would be a decrease. Unplanned is exactly that- unplanned, ykwim?

maybe but also more children living in poverty, more children up for adoption or terminations.
so not an ideal situation either. :shrug:

I know people who very openly admit they're having another baby "hoping this will get them the house they need" makes me so cross!

i dont think it would change a thing for unplanned pregnancies. and not every teen thinks having a baby will get them a flat n lots of money because ir doesnt.

but maybe a woman i no of would think twice about having as many kids as shes had...shes not a teen, doesnt work and brags about if she has more kids she gets more money.

she had 8 children, they arent looked after at all and she gets £2000 a month from benifits.

My baby was unplanned and I am a single parent. I only get CB and tax credits, but whilst on maternity leave I am getting my rent paid. If I didn't it would just mean I went back to work earlier than I am.

I do think people "keep" babies because there is help available so they know they will get money to support that child.

Prior to government assistence child poverty (and poverty in general) during the 1800's and a survey was conducted which is why help to families was introduced (mainly free school meals and healthcare at achools and compulsary free education), although the current welfare state as we know it didn't come in until later helping the jobless and pensioners.

In some areas yes, talking about England btw where some women (all ages) seem to think of having a baby and living of government help as a lifestyle choice. Where my mum lives I have heard plenty of women talk this way and it is very very very easy to get a house there if you have a baby and no income. But that's only the minority I suppose. Unplanned pregnancys would obviously still happen as they are .. unplanned but as user said above it would lead to more serious issues and more of a crisis than giving out money would. It is not enough to live on anyway but that's another issue..

As much as people hate the relience of some people on benefits, not having government assistence would be worse for this country and it would be children that are affected and living below the poverty line.

So I'd rather have the system we have now then face having kids not having a roof over their head, not eating properly or being clothed or clean x

What help I'd receive from the government was the last thing on my mind the night Lily was conceived - it wasn't even involved in my decision to keep her.

Among the people I know, there's a massive stigma over taking money from the State and that actually makes me reluctant to claim what benefits I'd be eligible for.

I'm now hoping to get my rent paid until Lily goes to school or pre-school when I'll be able to work full-time and afford rent & childcare. However, even though the system was set up to help people like me who find themselves in a tough situation and need a leg up for a little while, I feel ashamed to have to use it because of the stereotypical idiot girl who gets herself knocked up to get a house. It now seems that anyone who claims benefits is looked down on.

Admittedly I'd probably have been a lot more careful if I had to factor in paying for education for my child from 4+. Then again I already pay childcare costs private school is probably not that much more expensive or possibly cheaper so maybe not.

However if there was no maternity pay I'd be devastated to leave my child in daycare from the word go.

I only get child benefit and I'd miss it if I didn't but we'd survive (what choice would I have).

I agree that it would stop the whole "if I get pregnant I'll get given a house" culture that seems to have sprung up in certain sectors of society (I know of at least 5 people in my mum's town with this attitude, there are probably several more!).

However, I think that the benefits given out to that type of person would be better spent on subsidising childcare costs so that mums can afford to go back to work if they want to, or have more take home pay if they have no choice but to return to work.

There won't necessarily be less unplanned pregnancies, but there would most definately be an increase of terminations. The government does make it easy to be an unemployed lone parent but I don't think it's a bad thing. The use of the benefit system for short-term purposes is great and helps those in difficult situations to get financial help and move on in life. Cutting off benefits just because some people abuse the system would punish a lot of people who don't deserve it! x

I certainly think some teenagers would be more careful if the consequences were more severe. And maybe their parents would be more forceful with their own education if they were the ones who had to step in and help out financially. The rate would fall for sure but there would still be teen pregnancies.

The "I'll get a house" gang would certainly think twice, but I reckon this is a much smaller percentage than the daily mail would have us believe.

I don't think there'd be any less planned or unplanned teenage pregnancies. I don't think anyone really thinks of these things until they're actually pregnant or about to give birth. I know health insurance and finances never entered my head until I was 20 weeks pregnant, then I started panicking!

Here in Australia they are cracking down hard on teenage pregnancies. It will soon be that new teen mums will have to go back to looking for work/go back to school 6 months PP. Right now it is when the youngest child is 6 yo. Unfortunately in my city I know faaaaaaar too many girls still in school/just out of school who are having babies for the 'Baby Bonus' which is a $5000 grant paid in installments fortnightly, and they get Single Mothers pension on the top which is $600 f/n, then Family Tax Benefit parts A and B which is dependent on income so can be up to $200 with both. So they are getting close to $1500 a fornight, then around $800 f/n after Baby Bonus runs out until the child turns 6. (It is the same for single mothers over 18, some of whom still have babies to get the money just as a lot of teenage girls here are.)
So now teen mothers will only get their SMP if they are actively looking for work/studying when they get to 6 months PP. I think it will stop a LOT of these girls from purposefully getting pregnant. There is a huge outcry, but the facts are that since the Baby Bonus payment came in, the amount of pregnant teenage girls in my city increased and it was probably the same all around Australia. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.

i dont think "they" would be less careful, there would just be more abortions or children in care like has already been said.

i no of one couple who did use abortions as a form of contraception....they had atleast 5

i dont think "they" would be less careful, there would just be more abortions or children in care like has already been said.

i no of one couple who did use abortions as a form of contraception....they had atleast 5

:saywhat: That couple should be sterilised....not being responsible for their actions IMO

:saywhat: That couple should be sterilised....not being responsible for their actions IMO

i no i was disgusted! she then got pregnant again but they kept the child and got married! they are a terrible couple, but i do hope they have learnt from what they have done and realise its wrong but i doubt it

I don't think there'd be any less planned or unplanned teenage pregnancies. I don't think anyone really thinks of these things until they're actually pregnant or about to give birth. I know health insurance and finances never entered my head until I was 20 weeks pregnant, then I started panicking!

I disagree, certainly with regards to the UK. When I was a teen 20 years ago there were people doing this (I think it might be harder now, but not sure). Also when I was a young girl someone we knew got pregnant at 16 to get a council flat. She moved into the flat with FOB but when she had the baby she decided it was too much work and she left him with her mother (her and FOB used to visit as they lived in the same town). She continued to receive the child benefit etc. That boy lived with his grandmother until he left home, he never lived with his parents (who remain together and I believe are still together now 30 years later). When he got to 16 his mum was due to lose her benefits and so she planned another pregnancy at 31 (same father). She then did exactly the same thing, thought it was too much work and left that little girl with her mother too. As I say these are cases from some time ago as I don't know people doing it now so unsure how much it goes on nowadays but there certainly has been a culture of this in this country. And I am not tarring teens all with the same brush, one of the examples I gave was a lady who did this at 16 and then again in her 30s.

I think these cases are mainly planned pregancies though, not unplanned ones! For people with low / no income and an unplanned pregnancy the benefits probably just give them a bit of security in being able to make their decisions.

I think this thread should have been in the debates section as it may get heated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->