What is a 'Health Visitor'? (UK)

M

Maid Marian

I'm 18 weeks pregnant, and got a letter today informing me that I have an appointment with my 'health visitor' next month .. I've never heard of them before, and am confused! What do they do? Why do I need one as well as my midwife appointments? What will happen at the appointment?
I feel like such a newbie! :blush:

A health visitor is the lady who looks after you and your baby once babys here. The HV comes to your house once your signed off from MW and will do a few home visits then you will have to go to the surgery to see her :)

I dont know why youre seeing her before you have the baby though? I have heard this of young mums if you are one maybe thats why? x

OOOH, exciting! Your health visitor takes over once midwife discharges you a few weeks after babys birth. She will give you your babys red book which will be used to track weight etc, immunisations, general check up info. You'll probably see a hv every few weeks to have baby weighed and checked over. They can give you support with feeding and give you any info or help you may need. XX

oh and my hv came before my son was due... well, she was meant to but he arrived nearly 3weeks early so she was caught off guard to walk in and see a baby lol. XX

A health visitor is the lady who looks after you and your baby once babys here. The HV comes to your house once your signed off from MW and will do a few home visits then you will have to go to the surgery to see her :)

I dont know why youre seeing her before you have the baby though? I have heard this of young mums if you are one maybe thats why? x

I'm 20, I wouldn't class that as 'young' really though (I thought young was 15/16?) - why do they see young mums in particular???

I'm so confused! I don't have baby yet, so what does she want :wacko:

I'm not young and they saw me before due date. they just need to make sure you have aall the contact details you may need. They will ask you to fill out forms regarding your and your partners health/history etc, generally find out how you are doing, see if theres anything you might need help with (giving up smoking etc). The first appointment is all about forms etc, kind of like a booking appointment for baby lol.

Well I was 21 when I was pregnant and didn't see a health visitor so wouldn't have thought it was an age thing?
I found mine to be a complete waste of time tbh - She came round once, 40 mins late, let liam wee all over the rug and when I asked her a few things about Liam's health (at 2 weeks old) she said 'I haven't got time for this you'll have to see your GP'

I dont know tbh, maybe its just a general thing in some areas? I was a young mum but I never saw one util the day after Alex died :dohh: , but have seen lots young mum do get them, think its just for extra support, if they want it? I'm not sure but I think its great you get to meet her before you have baby :) x

Well I was 21 when I was pregnant and didn't see a health visitor so wouldn't have thought it was an age thing?
I found mine to be a complete waste of time tbh - She came round once, 40 mins late, let liam wee all over the rug and when I asked her a few things about Liam's health (at 2 weeks old) she said 'I haven't got time for this you'll have to see your GP'

Wow, how rude of her! Mine have always been lovely and very helpful! There's always one bad apple!

my health visitor was meant to come before my lo was born but he came early and i was 28 so not young mum

the mw for my area also rang to make appt to meet me before he was born to so it wasnt stranger coming into house day after you get home but again he was early

there is 2 health visitors and my surgery and the one i have is great even now at 6 months will come and see me if i need to ask anything rather than me have to go to surgery

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->