what is attachment parenting?

caz81

Reaction score
ive seen a few people with things on their siggy about attachment parenting, i googled it but can make no sense of what it said, so can you tell me
1. what you do that makes your parenting style attachment
2.why you decided to/benefits of attachment parenting

Thank you :)

Attatchment parenting is pretty much child led parenting - Spending lots of close time with baby, cuddling them when they fuss or cry, skin-to-skin, baby wearing, feeding on demand, sleeping on demand, co-sleeping - basically going with the flow of your own child and letting THEM form their own routines rather than sticking to YOUR routines and from-the-book methods! Thats how we roll with it anyway :) from my experience we coudln't have it better! Karm hardly ever cries and recently she's been sleeping through - all of her own accord! please someone correct me if I'm wrong ^_^ x

Attatchment parenting is pretty much child led parenting - Spending lots of close time with baby, cuddling them when they fuss or cry, skin-to-skin, baby wearing, feeding on demand, sleeping on demand, co-sleeping - basically going with the flow of your own child and letting THEM form their own routines rather than sticking to YOUR routines and from-the-book methods! Thats how we roll with it anyway :) from my experience we coudln't have it better! Karm hardly ever cries and recently she's been sleeping through - all of her own accord! please someone correct me if I'm wrong ^_^ x

Thank you :) i do all of those things, so I guess im doing attachment parenting too! xx

we loosely follow this too - its not my experience that he is a calm baby as a result - ha ha! But then who knows what he'd be like if we responded to him less, carried him less and made him sleep alone! Some people think all this stuff spoils the child and others think they grow into more confident adults because they know their needs will be met rather than being needy and attention seeking (obviously bringing up a child is a bit more complex than that but you get the gist!). Its basically about fostering the close connection between child and parent. Its a thoery of which there are many out there.

Thats my understanding but am prepared to be corrected. The main criticism of it is that its pretty intense and tiring 'round the clock' for the mother/carer.

It made sense to me after reading Baby Bliss about how babies need a forth trimester to be able to have a happier transition into the world (meaning that as closely as posible we should recreate a womb like experience for at least a further 3 months for baby ie being carried as much as possible, nourished on demand, sleeping when they wish etc)

I like Dr Sears' description of it
https://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/T130300.asp

I never planned it but I am for sure an attachment parent as well. I can't see it any other way! I sometimes get comments about me not letting her fuss but honestly she's my baby and I can't stand hearing her upset. We co-sleep, breastfeed on damand, sleep on demand, babywear, etc. I'm a bit of a natural parent as well which I think usually coincides with attachment parenting with the cloth diapers, teething necklaces, etc. :thumbup: Mommyhood is amazing.

It's also called natural parenting or peaceful parenting. It's babywearing, co-sleeping, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, etc. You don't need to do every single one to be AP though. We do it because it is what feels natural to us, and it's how we follow our instincts.

I have been loosely AP from the start (with a few pushchair tripsand a mix of co-sleep and own cot!) However, i'd like Tom to sleep in his own cot but he's resisting. Can anyone help me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->