What is peoples views on women being over weight and TTC?

jessicasmum

Mum of 3
Reaction score
Basically what the title says really. What is peoples views on women being over weight and planning to TTC? do you think they are wrong, selfish?
I am currently classed as obese and need to lose 6 something stone to be classed as in a normal BMI. I do plan to lose weight and as much as possible by my TTC date of May 2013 but realistically i wont be able to lose all the weight by then and maybe it would be wiser to postpone my TTC date until i have lost all the weight but i really don't want to wait and the date we chose is a special date for us to start TTC. So what are others thoughts? has any of you been over weight and got pregnant?how much by?

Thank you for reading :)

I think its ALWAYS a good plan to get in the best shape possible before TTC...your pregnancy will be easier and have less complications. There are higher risks of many pregnancy complications if you have a higher BMI...that being said, you can lose a significant amount of weight between now and when you start TTC...and you can continue to lose while you are TTC...I was overweight when I fell pregnant and I feel like I had less energy and gained more because my eating habits and exercise habits were bad.. Hope this helps!!

I think its ALWAYS a good plan to get in the best shape possible before TTC...your pregnancy will be easier and have less complications. There are higher risks of many pregnancy complications if you have a higher BMI...that being said, you can lose a significant amount of weight between now and when you start TTC...and you can continue to lose while you are TTC...I was overweight when I fell pregnant and I feel like I had less energy and gained more because my eating habits and exercise habits were bad.. Hope this helps!!

Thank you for your reply :) can i ask how much over weight were you when you were pregnant? i was at a normal weight when i fell pregnant with my daughter but i still ended up with no energy even though i ate healthy through out the pregnancy.

Thank you for your reply :) can i ask how much over weight were you when you were pregnant? i was at a normal weight when i fell pregnant with my daughter but i still ended up with no energy even though i ate healthy through out the pregnancy.

So I wasn't Obese, I was about 20 lbs overweight. I wasn't in good physical shape though which was part of the problem and had bad eating habits.

regarding autism…if anything that study is correlative…the truth is we don't know what causes autism in a lot of the cases, but its being studied. There are a lot of genetic components involved which would result in an autistic child regardless of the mothers weight. I wouldn't give yourself extra stress about this…just do your best to get in the best health/shape before you ttc. :flower:
I am waiting to TTC as well…I lost all my pregnancy weight and then some…so I am ready to start…whenever AF returns. LOL.

So I wasn't Obese, I was about 20 lbs overweight. I wasn't in good physical shape though which was part of the problem and had bad eating habits.

regarding autism…if anything that study is correlative…the truth is we don't know what causes autism in a lot of the cases, but its being studied. There are a lot of genetic components involved which would result in an autistic child regardless of the mothers weight. I wouldn't give yourself extra stress about this…just do your best to get in the best health/shape before you ttc. :flower:
I am waiting to TTC as well…I lost all my pregnancy weight and then some…so I am ready to start…whenever AF returns. LOL.

20 lbs overweight doesn't seem so bad but understand about not being in good physical way could cause problem. hopefully if i get to about 20 lbs overweight my physical health might improved somewhat because i would of been keeping to a healthy exercise routine to of lost the weight i already have. :)

Yeah the autism issue i don't think is a main concern. :)

Oh i noticed on your ticker saying you haven't had a AF for quite sometime, have you had medical advice over this? hope you don't mind me asking. and fingers crossed it arrives soon so you can start TTC :)

20 lbs overweight doesn't seem so bad but understand about not being in good physical way could cause problem. hopefully if i get to about 20 lbs overweight my physical health might improved somewhat because i would of been keeping to a healthy exercise routine to of lost the weight i already have. :)

Oh i noticed on your ticker saying you haven't had a AF for quite sometime, have you had medical advice over this? hope you don't mind me asking. and fingers crossed it arrives soon so you can start TTC :)

LOL...I was pregnant for 9 of those months...and am breastfeeding..so its all perfectly normal. I am hoping she will return soon so I can TTC....but my baby still nurses quite a bit.

LOL...I was pregnant for 9 of those months...and am breastfeeding..so its all perfectly normal. I am hoping she will return soon so I can TTC....but my baby still nurses quite a bit.

Oh lol, i didn't realize until you said the time was including while you was pregnant too, was being a bit of a air head :haha: well hopefully it be back to normal soon :)

I think as long as your other wise healthy then go for it. I had a BMI of 41 when i fell pregnant with my daughter and had no complications. Being overweight gives you a higher chance of complications but it is no guarantee that you will.

Have you thought about doing slimming world? You can follow it while pregnant so even if you dont loose all the weight you can keep going. I was worried about my size when i first found out and my midwife settled my mind by saying its better to start of big and eat healthy that to start of thin and eat crap.

I had a BMI of 42 when I got pregnant with my daughter, I didn't lead the healthiest lifestyle (food and activity) but I had an amazing pregnancy.

The next time I get pregnant (if I'm lucky enough to get pregnant again) I definitely plan on being in a healthier place which is why I've put TTC #2 on hold.

I think you can lose quite a bit by the time you start TTC, I lost about 10 lbs per month to start off with and then it slowed down considerably by the time I hit 70 lbs.

You can do it! :hugs:

I think as long as your other wise healthy then go for it. I had a BMI of 41 when i fell pregnant with my daughter and had no complications. Being overweight gives you a higher chance of complications but it is no guarantee that you will.

Have you thought about doing slimming world? You can follow it while pregnant so even if you dont loose all the weight you can keep going. I was worried about my size when i first found out and my midwife settled my mind by saying its better to start of big and eat healthy that to start of thin and eat crap.

Thank you for your reply :) Its great hearing others who have had no complications when falling pregnant and being overweight. :) Did you put much weight on during your pregnancy? and was your baby a big weight at birth? i hope you don't mind me asking. :)
No not really thought about slimming world really, i wouldn't really be able to get to the meetings i don't think and cant commit to extra expense at the moment to pay to join. are you still doing slimming world yourself?

I had a BMI of 42 when I got pregnant with my daughter, I didn't lead the healthiest lifestyle (food and activity) but I had an amazing pregnancy.

The next time I get pregnant (if I'm lucky enough to get pregnant again) I definitely plan on being in a healthier place which is why I've put TTC #2 on hold.

I think you can lose quite a bit by the time you start TTC, I lost about 10 lbs per month to start off with and then it slowed down considerably by the time I hit 70 lbs.

You can do it! :hugs:

Thank you for your reply :) 10 pounds a month sounds brilliant :thumbup:
did you put much weight on during your pregnancy? and was your baby a bigger a baby? hope you don't mind me asking :)
when was you hoping to start TTC #2 ?

I put on about 50 lbs (more crap eating and then I felt since I was pregnant I could eat whatever I wanted. Next time I won't take that approach) and my daughter was 9 lbs 1 oz. :)

I am hoping to start TTC next year when I get in a healthy weight range. I want to start off in a healthy place and stay healthy throughout my next pregnancy :)

I put on about 50 lbs (more crap eating and then I felt since I was pregnant I could eat whatever I wanted. Next time I won't take that approach) and my daughter was 9 lbs 1 oz. :)

I am hoping to start TTC next year when I get in a healthy weight range. I want to start off in a healthy place and stay healthy throughout my next pregnancy :)

How did you lose your weight you have lost so far was with weight watchers etc... or just by cutting foods out? i see by your ticker you don't have that much left to lose :thumbup:

I also had a BMI of 40+ when I was pregnant

I suffered SPD but don't know if that was anything to do with my weight or not as slim people also get it :shrug:

I had no other complications & my daughter was 8lbs 6oz @ 2wks over due so not "Big"

I think it's up to you what you do... ideally it would be better to be in pretty good physical condition before subjecting your body to pregnancy & if you are in no big hurry to conceive then yes by all means try to lose the weight 1st but there are no guarantees whatever you do

I agree with Lozzy & would recommend starting Slimming World asap which isnt a diet - but a healthy eating plan that you can quite happily continue throughout your pregnancy

but start making positive changes NOW & don't put it off any longer xx

That was all Weight Watcher's, it will have been a year in 4 days :)
I actually still have 54 lbs left to lose but I have my ticker on the countdown to when I'm in a healthier weight range. :) I'm excited to no longer be classified as obese lol

I also had a BMI of 40+ when I was pregnant

I suffered SPD but don't know if that was anything to do with my weight or not as slim people also get it :shrug:

I had no other complications & my daughter was 8lbs 6oz @ 2wks over due so not "Big"

I think it's up to you what you do... ideally it would be better to be in pretty good physical condition before subjecting your body to pregnancy & if you are in no big hurry to conceive then yes by all means try to lose the weight 1st but there are no guarantees whatever you do

I agree with Lozzy & would recommend starting Slimming World asap which isnt a diet - but a healthy eating plan that you can quite happily continue throughout your pregnancy

but start making positive changes NOW & don't put it off any longer xx

Thank you for your reply :) Im so sorry for your loss :hugs:
Our hearts are set on the date May 21st as this is a special date for me and my husband, im not sure i would be able postpone. and i agree there is no guarantees whatever we do.

I don't think slimming world is for me at the moment as i said i wouldn't be able to attend the meetings and having the extra expense. i have started to try and make changes to my diet but can struggle with sticking to it all the time, it is hard after being use to a way of eating/living for so long.

That was all Weight Watcher's, it will have been a year in 4 days :)
I actually still have 54 lbs left to lose but I have my ticker on the countdown to when I'm in a healthier weight range. :) I'm excited to no longer be classified as obese lol

Well done on sticking with it for a year :thumbup: do you attend the meetings or just do it through online? i know i was looking what i would have to weigh to be classed as not obese any more and thinking how pleased i would to be just overweight range not obese :)

I just do it online, my town doesn't have meetings anymore and I probably wouldn't go to them if they did anyhow lol

Yah I'm very excited to just be overweight! I started out in size 26 pants and now I wear size 14. It's crazy to think how much has happened in a year!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->