what is the differance midwife led and consultant led?

Rainbow gems

Reaction score
Seen my MW today and due to my last pregnancy having high blood pressure and my LO measuring small through out i will be consultant led, what's the difference?

in in the UK.

Consultant led means under the care of a consultant and midwife led means under the care of a midwife (although you have a mw too if consultant led)

I'm consultant led and the difference round Here means I have to give birth on the Labour ward not the midwife led unit

I think it generally depends on your level of risk. If you just have a couple of extra risk factors, then it will be an appointment with the consultant instead of the midwife around 20 weeks, maybe again at 36 weeks.

If you have a lot of risk factors or one very serious risk factor then every appointment will be with the consultant and you will have more appointments than usual.

....or somewhere between the two.

I am consultant lead and I have my first appointment at 14wks with my consultant and my next midwife appointment at 16weeks.

I am under consultant care because my son was born small (he was 6lb 7oz at 40wks) and he had a 2 vessel umbilical cord. I was under consultant care at with my daughter as well but a factor is because I have a family history of depression and this time I have gall stones xx

For me it meant I had to give birth in hospital and I got checked on more in labour. I also had one consultant appt at 20w. Mine was due to previous PE as well x

I'm consultant lead other then going through things in more depth I haven't really found much more difference.

It doesn't mean too much except that your appointments will be with consultants (i had half & half) and you will have to be on labour ward and not a midwife led unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->