What not to eat

ChefSara77

Reaction score
I don't know how to make this a sticky, but I hope it's helpful.

This is what is on the website for the Obstetrics department for the hospital my doctors are associated with:

To avoid Listeria (a type of bacterial food poisoning that can be transmitted to the baby and lead to preterm labor and other issues)

Avoid: raw hot dogs, luncheon meats, meat spreads, refrigerated smoked seafood (lox, jerky) and imported soft cheeses like feta, brie, Camembert, blue cheese, and Mexican queso. This includes all unpasteurized cheeses. However, ANY cheese that is pastuerized is safe.

Regarding seafood:

Nearly all fish and shellfish contain small amounts of mercury - such a small amount that the benefits of eating seafood far outweigh the risks. However, there are a few varieties that contain such high levels of mercury that they should not be eaten during pregnancy.

Avoid: shark, swordfish, king mackerel, or tilefish, as they contain high levels of mercury.

Fish that are low in mercury are shrimp, canned light tuna, salmon, pollock, and catfish. Fish in fish sticks and in fast food sandwiches are commonly made from fish that are low in mercury also. Feel free to enjoy one of these types of fish at 1 or 2 meals per week.

Enjoy in moderation: Tuna steaks and albacore tuna have slightly higher levels of mercury, and may be eaten once per week in place of another serving of seafood.

For more information:
www.cfsan.fda.gov
www.epa.gov/ost/fish

Theres a sticky in the pregnancy club ...

Only reason I put it in there is to cover all tris :D BUT theres never enough threads on this subject and they pop up alot Im sure new girls will find it very useful :D

All those nice foods to avoid for 9 months.......of all foods, it was an egg sandwich I longed for with a runny yolk! Mmmmmmmmmmm x

note: some soft cheeses are pasturized. I found a goats cheese which is, and a colleague tells me she found a brie which is. :)

oh, you better believe I went out to look for a pasteurized goat's cheese. I love goat cheese so much! I can live for 9 months without alcohol, brie, deli meat, and sushi, but no way could I go 9 months without goat cheese!!!

oh deli meat...I think maybe i've been missing something here....what can or cant i eat there? I mean...cooked hams?....I know the dried meats are a bit no no....but what about regular ham or chicken slices?

from what I understand they are at increased risk of Listeria contamination. It's one of those things where it's only a problem if the meat itself is contaminated, and most are fine. But Listeria is one of those food-bourne illnesses that can be harmful to the baby...

but these are just the guidelines from my doctor. Lots of places have different guidelines, some more strict than others. These could be on the super strict side...I'm not really sure what else to compare too. So I would ask your doctor. Since I"m not a medical professional, I can only pass on what I read. But your doctor's word will carry more weight than mine!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->