What now???

Monix

Reaction score
Hi everyone :)

I'm excited to finally be pregnant with #1! But what do I do next? My biggest question is which doctor I should use?? Do I use my regular family doctor or look for an OBGYN? Do I need a referral for an OBGYN from my family doctor or do I just start calling them?

I'm the first of my girlfriends to be pregnant so I have nobody to ask, and I don't want to ask my doctor incase I offend him. He just told me "book your first PNV in 8-10 weeks". Does that mean he'll be my doctor all the way through?? I have no idea how this works.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I think I'd like an OBGYN if possible because:

a) Its my first pregnancy and I'm pretty old (I'll turn 35 just before the due date).
b) Well actually my first pregnancy was LAST month, but I had a chemical pregnancy / early miscarriage at 5 weeks (just 2 weeks before I conceived this one). So now I'm extra paranoid.
c) I live in a small ski town and they don't deliver babies at our hospital. I'll need to go to Vancouver to deliver so my family doctor won't be there anyway.
d) My mom lost 2 pregnancies (a singleton & twins) both at 16 weeks, and then she delivered my brother 7 weeks early. This was about 30 years ago so she doesn't remember the reason, but I'm thinking maybe incompetent cervix? Maybe hereditary?? I'd like a doctor to at least be aware and monitor if they think it's a possibility.

What does everyone else do??

Thanks for your help!!!

Oh and I live in Canada incase that makes a difference :)

You can ask for a referral or just call around yourself to find an OB. I've done both with other pregnancies. I'm in the US though and don't know if it makes a difference.

I'm in Canada and I see my regular doctor and then she puts in a referral to my OB. Then I move over to my OB care around 17 weeks or so. Just make an appt. with your regular doctor. They'll schedule something around the 8-10 week mark. I still have yet to have my first appt. with my doctor. I have to wait until 10 weeks. You can search for obs in the meantime. Ones that deliver at the hospital you would like. Congrats!

That's perfect, thanks so much for the help ladies :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->