• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What qualifications do u need to work in a nursery

mummylove

Reaction score
I was thinking of trying to get a career to work in a nursery so was wondering what qualifications i need

One of the qualifications you could do is a children's and young people's work force NVQ (or diploma as its now know as).
I'm not sure if you need a level 2 or 3. Most nurseries are happy for you to volunteer whilst you gain this qual and then go on to employment.

Most places won't take you on until you have the qualification above ^ at a Level 2.

I've just done a L1 to fill in the time until Sept and move onto Level 2. I have to do a days placement in a childcare environment, then 3 hours at college.

You can also go onto do a L3, but you do need a L2 to get paid employment.

You know the work placements would they work it round ur kids?

I dont have any qualifications so could i still do the course?

You know the work placements would they work it round ur kids?

I dont have any qualifications so could i still do the course?

I work in Work Based Learning at our local college and for our criteria it is better if you don't have any previous quals, that way the course is free. The government still want everyone trained up to at least a level 2 standard. The best thing to do would contact your local college and see what they can offer you.

As for placements it is completely down to the employer. Most childcare providers understand that it is Mum's trying to get into this line of work so can be pretty flexible.

Good Luck!

I've done my nvq level 3 in childcare. You could start on level 2. Xx

I am defo going to look in to it. I know one think we go against me but im hoping i get given a chance. I have got a condition call nystagmus and ocular albinism but this is the only job i could think of that will work round my kids and i love kids anyway so i think it would be good for me

There are lots of apprenticeships about in nurseries - might be an idea to go down that route? I was considering go into one a while back but it seemed like far too much work :haha:

I did an apprentiship (still doing it now) but some places do hire unqualified x

most people I know did nvq level 2 from college. I had a degree and did early years professional status. Other careers to think about that can fit around is teaching assistant and child minding. With child minding you can set own hours and then you do some evening courses to train. I know teaching assistants can have quite flexible jobs from the ones I worked with as a teacher

My friend started off just volunteering in a nursery two mornings a week, which lead to her doing an NVQ level 2 and 3 in the workplace, so she started off with none. You could always look for places offering an apprenticeship if you wanted to get straight into the job :)

My sil had no qualifications and earnt them while working in a nursery.
She was lucky to find a really good one though that put her through all her exams (even helped her redo her maths and english) she has been with this nursery about 3 years now and is fully qualified and just got a promotion to be one of the head staff of her age section.
Bewarned though she worked for a place before this one that would take on apprentices, pay them awfull wages then make a exscuse to fire them just before they where qualified so as not ti pay a better wage.
I have heard of this being quite common tfrom more then one friend working in nurseries to keep wages down.
They pretty much just use unqualified girls to avoid paying a decent wage, one friend had this done to her 4 times in differant places and just lost heart in working with kids anymore and gave up

If your are taken on as an apprentice you have to be paid a minimum of £2.65 an hour (shocking I know) but the employer can choose to pay you more. If you are over the age of 19 they can only pay you £2.65 an hour or your first year in training. After that they have to pay you minimum wage. It is against the law to pay less than this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->