What religion is this?

Mormon?? Just a guess, because they wear head bands all the time I think x

LOL!!! Have you met a mormon? I dont know of a single head band wearing Mormon and i am one.

EDIT: sorry that sounded rude, it wasnt meant that way. It just made me laugh, I know we are perceived as a far out their religious group but you wouldn't know a mormon standing next to you, as we have no specific dress code.

LOL it didn't sound rude :)
The reason I said Mormon is because opposite my friends rd there's a mormon church (well I thought it was a Mormon church :haha: & all the ladies that go to the church where headbands... they also all drive big cars.. do you drive a big car?? :haha: x

Really? If its a mormon church it will have a sign which says "The church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints" which is the real name, Mormon is just a nickname that gets used because he use an additional book of scripture called the book of Mormon.

As for headband, if it is one of our churches then its just a random occurrence that they are wearing "head wear" lol. There is nothing requiring or mentioning the wearing of headwear in our church.

Big cars? Like 7 seaters? I guess I do, I have a Grand Scenic lol I hate it though, thinking of getting an estate instead, but the it really puts pay to any more kids. lol! We do tend to have larger families, like all the women who have kids I can think of near my age have 3 or 4 kids!

LOL!!! Have you met a mormon? I dont know of a single head band wearing Mormon and i am one.

EDIT: sorry that sounded rude, it wasnt meant that way. It just made me laugh, I know we are perceived as a far out their religious group but you wouldn't know a mormon standing next to you, as we have no specific dress code.

The reason I said Mormon is because opposite my friends rd there's a mormon church (well I thought it was a Mormon church :haha: & all the ladies that go to the church where headbands... they also all drive big cars.. do you drive a big car?? :haha: x

headbands and big cars-sounds like exclusive brethren of some sort to me as well. They all drive SUVs/7 seaters (but there are certain brands of cars not allowed like mercs and BMWs because they are seen as worldly), does the church have no windows or any windows have a mesh grill on (although some exclusive brethren sects this doesn't apply)? Luton is a big centre of exclusive brethrenism btw xx

headbands and big cars-sounds like exclusive brethren of some sort to me as well. They all drive SUVs/7 seaters (but there are certain brands of cars not allowed like mercs and BMWs because they are seen as worldly), does the church have no windows or any windows have a mesh grill on (although some exclusive brethren sects this doesn't apply)? Luton is a big centre of exclusive brethrenism btw xx

Ooh ok.. i think most of the cars are Chrysler :haha: the church is up a private drive so you can only see the back of the building!! I am soo intrigued I want to go break in :haha:
I never knew that about luton lol I know there's a lot of Muslim people because we have 2 (maybe more) mosques :thumbup: and there's quite a few Muslim schools

^I think 100% they are EB, their churches are extremely secretive and often inaccessible to the public. I used to live in a big 'stronghold' area of theirs and the company next to my old work in a trading estate was run by an EB family; the young girl who worked there sometimes I felt quite sorry for her as she couldn't be seen to be chatting with or even smiling at any of us 'worldlies' and she used to get ice creams from the ice cream van when they weren't looking (the sect has relaxed those rules a bit but a few years ago they were not allowed to even buy any food that had been made by 'unholy hands') xx

If they're Swedish or Finnish could be Laestadianism - they're supposed to keep away from 'worldly' people and 'wordly' things but not sure if they wear head bands or not.

https://yobeauty.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/227117-brethren.jpg

OP, do they look a bit like these ladies (though some branches of EBs wear more conservative, less trendy outfits than these-and some sects have rules like only wearing blue scarves and a very limited set of colours)?

ok well they arent Amish or Jewish. I can tell you that for 100000%.

Amish wear prayer caps, not headbands and they are in communities to themselves, they tend not to go into "english" areas...they will but not usually except to get supplies, etc. They will usually have an "english" driver.
They also would not be likely to let an outsider in, even for a week. They believe we could influence them in a negative way and would not allow that, the Deacon/Bishop especially.

as for Jewish, they can wear a head covering, similar to a veil but they dont all the time. They are very social normal people and dont tend to keep to themselves.

:)

https://yobeauty.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/227117-brethren.jpg

OP, do they look a bit like these ladies (though some branches of EBs wear more conservative, less trendy outfits than these-and some sects have rules like only wearing blue scarves and a very limited set of colours)?

Yes but they don't wear scarves, always wear skirts, their girls head bands match the school uniform colours in polka dots, but the other women just wear black or blue ones.

If they just wear head bands rather than a proper head covering then I don't think they are brethren (my family were in the exclusive brethren when I was young).

A lot of the exclusive brethren nowadays do wear headbands-in Australia and NZ they almost exclusively wear these on a normal day to day basis, the only exception would be attending church when they would wear the more traditional scarf. I have seen some of the younger girls/women wearing them here as well when I see them in a group and it only tends to be the grandmas who are wearing the scarf. Here is a pic of two Australian EB ladies wearing headbands

https://media.apnonline.com.au/img/media/images/2010/10/20/GGT_21-10-2010_EGN_03_GT102010r176brethren_fct440x271_t325.jpg

The rules on dress have been somewhat relaxed these days; anyway other sects often have different rules on dress-some have always worn headbands and there is even one sect that still wears hats (the main group of exclusive brethren stopped wearing hats in the 60s but this group broke away from them before them and so continued). Also while the Hales sect now allows cutting/trimming hair for women, some other sects do not so their hair is still super long. There are quite a few sects of EBs aside from the Hales that you most commonly find here, such as the Rentons, Tunbridge Wells brethren, 'Needed Truth', Glanton-Kelly-Lowe Brethren etc...xx

ok well they arent Amish or Jewish. I can tell you that for 100000%.

Amish wear prayer caps, not headbands and they are in communities to themselves, they tend not to go into "english" areas...they will but not usually except to get supplies, etc. They will usually have an "english" driver.
They also would not be likely to let an outsider in, even for a week. They believe we could influence them in a negative way and would not allow that, the Deacon/Bishop especially.

as for Jewish, they can wear a head covering, similar to a veil but they dont all the time. They are very social normal people and dont tend to keep to themselves.

:)

There are no Amish in the UK but there is one Amish community in the republic of Ireland. Some Amish do wear kerchiefs or scarves instead and some Amish will allow outsiders into their community-there was a recent TV series about this in the UK where youths from the UK went to stay with Amish families. This is a pic of the Amish who live in Ireland

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3380/3667838952_c1cf7b03ba_z.jpg

There is one modern mennonite church in the UK, in London but these do not cover. As for Jewish people it depends on the sect, some orthodox Jews do cover all the time, sometimes even at home or in private, it tends to be only the married women but in a couple of sects it is all women and girls. Also some Jewish sects do only mix with others from their group, this is why some of those in London speak with a heavy accent despite being born here. In the Jewish area close to me the married women of some of the sects are expected to wear a wig that doesn't look like real hair with a scarf or hat over the top that completely covers the wig xx

Summer rain do you live near Stamford Hill? I used to live there really in the middle of the 'ghetto'. Found it fascinating.

Agree it is unlikely to be Hassidic Jews. They would most likely be going to a separate school. The Hassidim tend to educate their children in separate schools - and away from the influence of more liberal Jews as well.

They most be quite modern Amish- with the fancy colours.
I think it is maybe nice they allow their kid to go to a state school but a shame she isn't allowed to make friends etc.

It is quite interesting however how they live- I once read a ethnological/anthropological book on the Amish in the university library . I twas from 1976 so I am not whether a lot has changed since then.

Also I think it is quite a good idea that the children are allowed to explore into different direction when they are coming of age(rumspringa), other religions that are as strict and reclusive also should have it.
Something else which was interesting which I learned was that there is a higher chance of specific genetic faults and misbuilding in Amish communities which would be very rare other wise in the outside world, which is because they never have a lot of new blood so to say in their community.

^I am pretty sure the ladies OP are referring to are not amish though-there are no amish in the mainland UK and the original poster is from here, and Amish do not wear their hair long and flowing even if under a covering, they consider it to be immodest, their hair is always tied up (and this goes for even the more modern, slightly more moderate offshoots of the amish movement). The Amish in Ireland are part of the Beachy Amish which are quite a modern sect who evangelise to outsiders and travel by plane to do missionary work in other countries (very conservative Amish are not allowed to go in aeroplanes or eve motor vehicles) xx

Summer rain do you live near Stamford Hill? I used to live there really in the middle of the 'ghetto'. Found it fascinating.

Agree it is unlikely to be Hassidic Jews. They would most likely be going to a separate school. The Hassidim tend to educate their children in separate schools - and away from the influence of more liberal Jews as well.

Yep I live not far from there, my OH used to drive a bus round those ends. I'm originally from Manchester and aside from a few bits on the edge of Salford; most of the Hassidic Jews there live in really posh massive houses (never in flats) so it was quite a shock for me to come to London and see that most of the ones in Stamford Hill live in social housing as well including some rough looking estates run by Hackney council. They do go to their own small private schools (usually in converted houses) that are dotted around the area xx

I really liked Stamford Hill. I lived around various bits of Hackney for years and that was the neighbourhood I found safest for walking around at nights. There were always lots of Hassidim men walking about at night - mostly on Fridays - so the streets felt safer.

Agree it is quite a mixed community. Lots of people in really nice houses as well as families living on council estates. There was an interesting documentary on Channel 4 (?) recently about the Hassidim in Stamford Hill.

Totally off topic but my first glimpse of Stamford Hill was years ago when taking a bus back late at night from Tottenham to South Hackney. I think it was during Purim and I remember going by a bunch of Hassidic men in full Black Hat regalia dancing arm in arm around a huge bonfire. It was a real WTF moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->