What religion is this?

^I am pretty sure the ladies OP are referring to are not amish though-there are no amish in the mainland UK and the original poster is from here, and Amish do not wear their hair long and flowing even if under a covering, they consider it to be immodest, their hair is always tied up (and this goes for even the more modern, slightly more moderate offshoots of the amish movement). The Amish in Ireland are part of the Beachy Amish which are quite a modern sect who evangelise to outsiders and travel by plane to do missionary work in other countries (very conservative Amish are not allowed to go in aeroplanes or eve motor vehicles) xx

I agree with this. The only part i disagree with is the no car thing because they hire English drivers to take them places all the time. I lived on the East side of Cincinnati in Fayetteville and the next nearest town is Mt Orab. I would go Walmart and see tons of Amish- they didnt have their horse and buggies hiding around back, they hired a driver.

Now we live closer to downtown and i see Amish at the History museum. Again no horse and buggies. They hire a driver.

They do drivel, they all have estate cars.

^I am pretty sure the ladies OP are referring to are not amish though-there are no amish in the mainland UK and the original poster is from here, and Amish do not wear their hair long and flowing even if under a covering, they consider it to be immodest, their hair is always tied up (and this goes for even the more modern, slightly more moderate offshoots of the amish movement). The Amish in Ireland are part of the Beachy Amish which are quite a modern sect who evangelise to outsiders and travel by plane to do missionary work in other countries (very conservative Amish are not allowed to go in aeroplanes or eve motor vehicles) xx

I agree with this. The only part i disagree with is the no car thing because they hire English drivers to take them places all the time. I lived on the East side of Cincinnati in Fayetteville and the next nearest town is Mt Orab. I would go Walmart and see tons of Amish- they didnt have their horse and buggies hiding around back, they hired a driver.

Now we live closer to downtown and i see Amish at the History museum. Again no horse and buggies. They hire a driver.

Some of the most conservative old order and schwarzentrauber (sp?) amish will not even travel in a motor vehicle; no matter who has driven it. This can cause problems with emergency situations, such as someone being taken ill and needing to travel to the hospital. I have heard/read that the Amish in Ohio are in general less conservative than those elsewhere (i.e. members of the same sect you'll find in another state will use running water and piped gas ovens in Ohio but will not in the other states such as Indiana and Pennsylvania). Indeed most of the Amish families who were in the recent show on C4 called 'Living with the Amish' were in Ohio xx

I really liked Stamford Hill. I lived around various bits of Hackney for years and that was the neighbourhood I found safest for walking around at nights. There were always lots of Hassidim men walking about at night - mostly on Fridays - so the streets felt safer.

Agree it is quite a mixed community. Lots of people in really nice houses as well as families living on council estates. There was an interesting documentary on Channel 4 (?) recently about the Hassidim in Stamford Hill.

Totally off topic but my first glimpse of Stamford Hill was years ago when taking a bus back late at night from Tottenham to South Hackney. I think it was during Purim and I remember going by a bunch of Hassidic men in full Black Hat regalia dancing arm in arm around a huge bonfire. It was a real WTF moment.

Yep its pretty mad on Purim, I live about 5 miles from Stamford Hill at the minute but its one of the straightest two routes into central London from here so we go through there a lot xx

They are plymouth brethren. i live in Hereford and work in sainsburys and they always come in.

they are not allowed to handle money so they have gift cards to pay for there shopping. they are very nice people but keep themselves to themselves.

xx

^That must be one particular offshoot as I have only ever seen mainstream PB/EB using cash (and in the area of Manchester where I am originally from there are absolutely loads of them about so I always saw them in ASDA, Morrisons, and Mothercare buying stuff for their umpteen kids as well). Never saw them using bank cards though so not sure if they can use those xx

DId you ask them Carly? xx

Haven't asked them, it's never the same woman who picks them up.. So can't get to know their face iykwim.

Haven't seen their mum in a while, but she has got newborn twins to look after.

They are defiantly brethren.

In shop this morning one of the older ladies was in the queue in front of me, and the twins mum was in the aisle next to us, they didn't even act like they knew each other, even though I have seen the older lady pick the other ones daughters up.

They both paid for their shopping in vouchers, and I asked the cashier what they are and she said their brethren, that the men come in the shop and are really stylish and look nice all the time but the women are made to look frumpy. They all live together or down the same street, but I found it odd that they blanked each other, they didn't even say bye.

Also the cashier said that they attend mainstream school until year three then get taken out and sent into the town centre where they have their own school full of brethrens that the children go to until they leave.

Thanks for solving the mystery, I thought as much. :D Yep from my experience they are very business like when out and about and don't even act sociable with other brethren they run into. The paying only with vouchers/gift cards thing is definitely new so not sure if its a new 'ruling' from the head honchos or you just happen to have the same offshoot sect in your area as the other lady who works in Sainsburys, am going to ask on an ex brethren forum I am on and get back to you xx

Just been told the paying with vouchers/gift cards is a new thing and is not a religious thing for them or them not being allowed to handle money, but the main 'parent' company at the heart of the sect have recently found if they buy the gift vouchers/cards in bulk from the issuing company or supermarket chain concerned, they receive a discount on them which then translates into some type of profit that can be ploughed through to the leaders-not sure how it all works but that is what an insider has just replied to me xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->