What should I already be doing??

babybump2010

Trying for our 1st
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been reading through some posts and am starting to get myself in a panic (doesn't take much!!) So after seeing how lovely and friendly you all are I though I would post a thread myself!
Ok so here goes (apologies in advance for rambbling and spelling :blush:) Myself and h2b are planning on ttc after our wedding in July 2010 so looking at August. We have recently started going to the gym to improve our health and get in shape for the wedding. So am not worried about that side of things as have both said will try our best to keep it up after the wedding.
I am however starting to panic about what else I should be doing and when!!
I am currently on bcp cerazette and have been on it for approx 5 years. How soon should I come off this?? Has anyone else been on this bcp?? I was put on this as suffer with migrane and could not take a pill with oestrogen in.
I hadn't really thought about this and was assuming I would just come off when we came back off honeymoon(end of July) and start ttc in August. Cerazette has stoped AF and don't really want it on honeymoon :nope:
I am beginning to worry as have read post where people coming off pill 1year before ttc!! I think I am a little niave as this will be our first baby and have never ttc before!! :shrug::help:

Thankyou for getting this far.
Sorry if this is silly or makes no sence just needed to get it out!
:blush:

First of all you can start taking a prenatal vitamin now. My GP recommended that I take it at least 3 months before TTC, the longer the time taking the prenatal vitamins before TTC the better.

Have a visit with your GP to make sure you have your vaccinations up to date, your bloodwork is fine, and to go over any questions you may have. I had a preconception checkup and asked my doctor a TON of questions. At the end of the appointment she said that she wished more women thought about getting a general check up before TTC becaues it's a smart thing to do!

My GP also advised me to stop BC at least three months before TTC so that my cycles could work themselves out. I wasn't on your BC, I was taking NuvaRing so I can't tell you specifically about it.

Anyways, good luck with everything! :flower:

hey,

thankyou for replying!! really appreciate it.
I think I will make an appointment with GP for a check and see what they say. Thankyou!! :thumbup:

All I can think about at the minute is starting a family! A friend of ours (who wasn't ttc as far as we know) is pregnant and it has brought it all out again I had been fine for a year busying myself with wedding plans!:wedding:

Thankyou for your support and advice! :flower:

Hello

I am with you on the all i can think about is having a baby!

I am getting married in April next year but we have decided to start trying a few months before cause i am so desparate!!

I have brought my first pack of prenatal vitamins so feels like a step in the right direction :)

Oooh! I'm in almost exactly the same position bubybump! We're getting married in July 2010 and want to TTC our first child as soon as we're married.

I'm not on your BC, i've got an implant (also because i'm not allowed oestrogen based birth control) but i've heard horror stories of peoples' cycles taking a year or two to get back to normal, so i've scheduled my implant removal for December this year. We're not taking any chances!

I've already got some folic acid tablets to take (although i'm really bad at remembering to take them) and we're eating healthier to make sure we get all our vitamins (I can't take any vitamin supplements with Iron - so pretty much all of them!) and trying to exercise more. (i'm overweight and trying to get down to a healthier weight for wedding & baby)

I've also started to read lots about pregnancy and charting cycles and things that happen in pregnancy (eg. pre-birth tests they do, what happens at scans, what happens at ante-natal classes, what types of maternity services there are locally, etc) as well as the cost implcations of having a child. We are starting to save money for the future, to help pay for the costs associated with children, and looking into what things you do/don't need to buy for babies.

I've discussed the majority of things with my partner, such as what we might do if... situations, whether we want to know the sex of the child, whether we'd test for certain things, what kind of house we need to live in for a baby (we need another room upstairs and another room downstairs) how we might use maternity leave, how long I might stay off work, names we currently like for children, etc.

We've spoken with our doctor to let her know we want to start a family (and there is a lot going on there as there is a history of inherited diseases in my family - so we've been referred for more tests, etc)

Can't think about anything else at the moment, however I suspect that a lot of people will read this and think that we have thought about this far too much, but we are really looking forward to being parents (we hope & pray!) and this allows us to feel like we are currently doing something about it, and that we will be fully prepared for a pregnancy.

Hi there :) I was on BCP Microgynon 30 (came off it in July) and was advised to come off it and then try after 3 months so it is fully out of your system... (However its 4 months down the line and I haven't even had AF yet!) I have looked around and it just seems some women take longer to get back into their own cycles than others.. I just happen to be the unlucky one!

My doctor advised to start taking prenatal vitamins and folic acid 3 months before, and also to get my bloods done to make sure I was immune against Rubella. (I am booking that this thur).

I'm tracking my cycles.. or lack of lmao with a digital thermometor and fertilityfriend.com so I can get to know my body for when I try to TTC.

Also just eating healthy and excersise is a good way to get your body ready, not to mention the financial side of things (I'm currently making my little nest egg for emergencies!)

Hope this helps x

It took my AF a while to settle down after Microgynon too Plutoblue.

I found that taking evening primrose oil tablets really helped my cycles to regulate, they have been coming every 34 days for ages now thankfully, maybe that can help you?

It took my AF a while to settle down after Microgynon too Plutoblue.

I found that taking evening primrose oil tablets really helped my cycles to regulate, they have been coming every 34 days for ages now thankfully, maybe that can help you?

Thanks for the tip :D Payday Friday so I will be raiding boots at this rate :haha: Atleast I'm not alone, someone else recommended Agnus Cactus? :blush: Not too sure where to purchase that... or what it does

I was on the same bcp as you and I am still waiting for my cycles to come back after coming off it in September 2008!

Something that really helped me was reading What to Expect Before You're Expecting.
I've been off of BCP's for a bit over a year now and have been taking prenatal vitamins. M

Something that really helped me was reading What to Expect Before You're Expecting.
I've been off of BCP's for a bit over a year now and have been taking prenatal vitamins. M

I went for the blood test to test immunity to Rubella and Toxoplasmosis. You should wait 3 months (or a month) I can't remember which after having the Rubella vaccine, if you are not immune, so this is best done in advance.

Started taking pre-natal vitamins 3 months before.

Stopped drinking more than 2 units per day of alcohol. (This is more important for DH 3months before you just one month before.) Certainly no binge drinking!

Went of BCP Yasmin 3 months before, but was advised by GP that the only reason they reccommend this is so that your cycles become regular before ttc, making it easier for them to date the pregnancy. She said that you are actually most fertile the first month off the pill, so it would best to start trying right away!

Ok so i really need to play catch up I am taking folic acid but what is prenatalvitimins and where do i get them, plus has anyone else put there other halfs on Zinc, my word we all will be rattling around soon hahaha
Plus where do you get the fancy bits for your posts I dont have any.

Hey Zoom,

There are loads of different brands in Boots etc. I think I am taking Tommy at the moment, but there is also Pregnacare and Sanatogen. Just make sure they have at least 400 (can't remember the unit measured) of Folic Acid and you're covered.

I put my man on Well Man Multivitamin tablets which contain Zinc and Vitamin C. Both are really important for the quality and quantity of sperm. You need to get him on these 3 months before also, as that is how old some of them in there actually are!

I forgot to say in my last post...I'm not actually doing anything but taking the prenatals at the mo and i'm in the less than 3 month timeline! I just did a hell of a lot of obsessive reasearch last time though and I guess it all paid off as Maya has always been about 3 months above average in most developmental areas.

Ok so i really need to play catch up I am taking folic acid but what is prenatalvitimins and where do i get them, plus has anyone else put there other halfs on Zinc, my word we all will be rattling around soon hahaha
Plus where do you get the fancy bits for your posts I dont have any.

I am on pregnacare, if you go into boots/superdrug they have a whole section on it, though folic acid is the most important one as it reduces the chances of Spina Bifida. I haven't put my other half on Zinc... (yet!) but I will probably bully him into it. Any good phamacy/chemist will have all these things and will have good advice for you. :happydance:

Hope this helps.

HI

I did just try to post but don't think it worked, not doing to well with the i.t!!

I am also WTT and interested in what prenatal Vitimins are, I am taking folic acid and my other half is on Zinc, but what are prenantal, and are any better than others?

Cheers

They are just a multivitamin tablet contiaing all the vitamins and minderals needed to aid conception and for a healthy pregnancy. Once I was pregnant, I bought one that also had Omega 3 (not all do!) as it is a brain booster for your baby'[s growing brain. x

Please see above Zoom! and don't worry my intenet has been slow all evening I have had a few double posts :shrug:

Hi baby bump welcome to B&B.

Like everyone else I would recommend scheduling an appointment with your GP to check things over, get up to date with your immunisations esp Rubella if you have not had it for awhile.

I would come off your BCP as soon as possible as it can take some time for your cycles to regulate... but for others it can take no time at all so its better to be prepared and ready for when you want to try. I know this is not what you want to hear because you dont want your period on your honeymoon but if you keep taking it then you will most likely need to ammend your dates.

I would start taking a good pre conception multi vit like pregnacare that you get in any pharmacy.. you need to take folic acid at least 3 months before you try to conceive (it can prevent neuronal birth defects) you need to continue this throughout the first trimester.

When your cycle returns since you have not had one for some time you might find it helpful to join a website called fertility friend... you chart your temp, and cervical mucous i know it sounds gross and your cycle into a graph and it helps you figure out when you are ovulating. I found this very helpful as i never really understood my body enough... they give you little online tutorials its very easy and free.

Anyway welcome.. and good luck with all the wedding planning.

hello all,
firstly thankyou all for your lovely replies!! You are all so freindly and helpfull :flower:

Clairey_P Congratulations on your wedding, only 8 months to go now!!
I already take a vitamin suppliment (when i remember) but am thinking of changing to a prenatal after christmas. I have been looking on the HNS direct site about pregnancy so have got some bits off there.

Parkgirl Will look out for 'What to Expect before you are Expecting' Thankyou :)

Zoom Hi & Welcome to B&B I am new aswell!! I have seen the prenatal vitamins in Sainsburys but think would probaly get a wider range and help in boots.

Goddess25 Thankyou. I am going to make an appointment with my GP for January time to get checked for upto date vaccinations and to talk to her about coming off my pill. Thankyou for your advice on Fertility Friend will definatly have a look at that.

There is so much to do even before you start trying!! I can't believe people get pregnant unexpectedly!!
Is there anything in particular i should ask my GP about?? I probably sound stupid :blush: Obviously am going to check am up todate with vaccinations and generaly healthy, speak to her about coming off my pill and how long i have to wait before trying. Becky10 hope she say there wouldn't be a problem if we started straight away if your most fertile in the first month!!! :happydance:

Well thankyou so much for all your advice. Has made me feel a lot better. Although we are still wtt and have a while to go i feel like it is closer as we are taking steps in the right direction by preparing.. if that makes any sence!
bb2010 xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->