What should I ask at my first appointment?

Maries_s

Reaction score
After 8 month TTC#1 finally my husband and I got our BFP!! :happydance:

Now I'm 6 weeks and 1 day pregnant. Today I made my first appointment with the obstetrician but I really don't know what should I ask or expect the first time.

congrats on ur first pregnancy! im guessing its ur first? if not congrats anyway of course! im pregnant with my first. i was seeing an OB doctor that no longer did pregnancies so i had 2 switch doctors which really sucked because i loved my old one. anyway with my old doctor she tested my HCG levels twice & when they shot up over 11,000 she put in an order 4 me 2 have an ultrasound (i LOVE ultrasounds) i was having irregular periods so there was no way of telling how far along i was (i hadn't had a period in about 3 months when i randomly ovulated & got pregnant!) we never found a reason for my periods stopping either! anyway so i had an ultrasound but that wasn't my first "appointment" it was just an u/s. we seen baby & heartbeat & i was 6 weeks at that point. i then had 2 call around & find a new doctor & i did & shes okay.

anyway so at my first appointment (i was almost 8 weeks) i had blood drawn to find out my blood type & to be tested for things like HIV & hepatitis. i also had a pap smear 2 check for other STD's or any kind of infection. at every appointment i have she has me pee in a cup & i think they test the pee for bacteria for UTI or something else. she would've done another ultrasound but said since my baby & his heartbeat were seen that there was no need 2 do one. i have had 2 more since then though.

so that was my experience with my first appointment with my new doctor. i asked about everything.. why my morning sickness was so bad, why i was having slight cramping, why she wouldn't try 2 listen 2 the heartbeat with a Doppler yet, if i was at higher risk for a miscarriage since its my first pregnancy & i hear a lot of women who miscarry their first, signs of miscarriage or even a missed miscarriage, asked if i should be worried i've lost 12 or 13 pounds, & so on. if i were u, when u think of something u want 2 ask ur doctor write it down & take it with u so u don't 4get anything. ask anything u want! good luck!!

At your first appt I would ask what foods and medications are not ok, what your blood type is (this does matter if you're negative), and about anything else you're curious about or have felt/heard. Like pp said it's a good idea to write them down. I've gone to plenty of appts completely forgetting to ask questions I've meant to because I didn't write them down. And the further along you get, the more questions you'll have. For the first 7 months or so you'll go in once a month, then every two weeks, then when you're between 34-36 weeks they'll start you on weekly visits. Congrats!

OMG thank you both of you!

GetNmyBelly: Yes, it is my first pregnancy. I'm new to all of this.

My first appointment is going to be at April 6 so I'm going to be 8 weeks.
The doctor's secretary told me if I have any question that I can call.
Now I'm really confused because I told to my DH that we should wait to announce everybody about the pregnancy and know I just want to ask a lot of things to my mom. (Is driving me crazy not to tell anybody) My morning sickness started and it's just a felling of revulsion of food in the morning, I don't have nausea or vomiting. And I have insomnia, last nigh I woke up to pee at 1:30 am and couldn't back to sleep until 4:00am :cry:

Yeah the sleep thing kinda sucks. In a few weeks you will be exhausted though!

Yep I've had insomnia too, and had good aversion the first few weeks. Now it's turned to steady nausea, but not actually being sick , and I'm starting to get food cravings last couple days.

We told our immediate family's and couple really close friends, so we would have a few people to discuss these things with. We'll wait till 12 weeks till announce it to everyone though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->