What to do with Work?

Mummy Bean

Parker & Dougs Mum
Reaction score
I am really stuck with what to do with returning to work.

Before I fell preg I had an amazing job working for a bank, I worked my arse off and in 4 years had moved up from the mail room to being an assistant manager. I was really good at the job, and got on really well with everyone. They were really supportive whilst i was preg and things seemed tobe going ok, even in the recession.

but since I have been off they have annouced that they will be getting rid of 50% of the work force.

Orginally i wanted to return to work part time in october after having 7months off and do either 3 or 4 days a week. But today i have been told that i either return full time or dont return.

but i really dont know if i can leave my little one for a full 5 days a week...esp with the travelling (over an hour each way!) which means i am out of the house from 7-6 every day and would simply never see him...i really dont know if i could it?

also i really want another baby next year ...and if i leave then there no way i could find another job in time and worked long enough to get any maternity leave.

argh it just sooo difficult, I had everything worked out and now i am really not sure

what have you ladies done with work?

Its a tough decision isnt it. I never returned to my previous job as my dad offered me a part time job with free childcare which was hard to turn down! Im not going to lie, I do miss my old job, the social side of it, and using my brain how I trained to use it lol but time with my son is so valuable and it goes so quickly. Iv now been forced to work 4 days (work demand) and i feel like i hardly see my son, im not sure how I would feel working 5 days.

At the end of the day i think each individual feels differently about this. Some women have no choice and have to return FT to cover childcare.

Id possibly see what other jobs are out there and work out how long you would need to be there to qualify for Maternity.

xxxx

its really hard i had to go back full time Im out of the house 7am till 6pm but i now only work 4 days a week so i just try to look forward to that 1 day just me & lo and make the day fun.

I was in a similar position. I worked my way up from temping to team supervisor in the public sector. Got fantastic holidays, flexitime and a brilliant pension. Like you, there were redundancies when I was on ML. When I returned, they also told me full-time or nothing. There was no way I was going to go to work for 40 hours a week to come away with less than 300 quid after paying out for full-time childcare. DH and I did our sums and decided that, if we were frugal, we could survive on his wage.

So here I am, a SAHM and loving it :) No, we can't afford the luxuries that we used to have, but the time I get to spend with my LO is so precious and I am so lucky to have had the choice to stay at home. However, I know a few mums who went back to work full-time for the sake of their sanity so it really is different for everyone. :flower:

Just put plenty of thought into it and write out a pros and cons list if you have to, but do whatever makes you and your family happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->