What To Pack In Your Hospital Bag - Suggestions

I think everyone posted almost exactly what anyone needs :) I found this so helpful and will refer to this when its time to pack my own bag :)

I am sure someone asked in 101 pages..but what is tens machine and maternity notes?

TENS machine is a pain relief / drug free tool https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/tens/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Maternity notes are literally that - your private, medical and healthcare notes relating to your pregnancy. In the UK you are handed them and its your responsibility to keep them with you.

With my first delivery I brought everything I thought I would need but the hospital was pretty good as supplying me with a lot of assentials so this time around I may pack a little lighter. I think bringing a pillow is a great idea...

Thank you very much for sharing the information. It helps me for my hospital bag packing.:flower:

This thread has been sooo helpful! I am a few months away and had most of these on my list but it really helped getting a 2nd (and 3rd and 4th...) opinion so that I could realize some of the things I was missing on my list.

Socks! Big thick socks!! Sounds mental I know, everyone keeps going on about how hot you get in labor and that you will need a flannel etc... Well that was not the case for me and it was in the middle if summer and a very hot day But...
I was shivering and my feet got really really cold. Sounds silly but little things like that can bug you so be prepared!

Flip flops are awesome. They're so easy for popping on and off. I was recently admitted to hospital for 4 days and I only used my slippers to wedge under my bump at night for support!

Dry shampoo is a definite must!

In my hospital bag here in Aussie its good to pack for 2 nights stay.

For me
2 soft nursing bras (1 a cup size bigger as a precaution for milk engorged boobs).
2 nursing pads (Milk doesn't come in for a couple of days, so you don't need many).
Button down tops (for easy access).

1 Black pj pants (Black gives you peace of mind, cause things get messy).
4 Black underwear (Target sell 3 for $2 so buy and bin, 1 size up to accommodate the huge maternity pads you'll be wearing).
1 Black maxi dress (for easy access).
Slip on shoes (Cause its hard to bend over and the floor is cold).
Socks
Take advantage of the hospital gown for sake of ease and mess.
A warm cardigan.

Pulsitilla (A herbal aid that calms cramps).
Cammomile tea (A herbal tea that calms cramps).
Raspberry leaf tea (A herbal tea that tones the uterus, start drinking at 37 weeks).
Lavender oil/burner (A soothing essential oil).
Arnica cream (For bruising and achey muscles).
Witch hazel/pads (To soothe stiches or tears, place a couple on top of your pad).
Maternity pads (Pour a table spoon of aloe vera gel and witch hazel onto the pad and freeze).
Small water bottle (Squirt water while you pee to dilute acidity).
Heat pack (For achey muscles).

Water, laxatives, fruit high in fibre (To soften your stool).
Dried apricots (Keep your sugar levels up).
Soup (Easy to digest).

Tooth brush and paste.
Gentle shower gel (Soap is too clumsy to use).
Moisturiser, shaver, deodorant etc.

Keep all of your id's, medical records and birth plan in a clear folder.

For baby
5 grow suits that vary in style. Long sleeve, short sleeve, full leg etc (If they measure "normal" in the womb then they're newborn/000 size).
2 singlets (To wear under the suits that have zips or buttons).
2 hats, mittens, socks, bibs
A cardigan
Receiving blanket
4 muslin swaddles (Can also be used as burping cloths).
Car seat

Nappies
1:Witch hazel, 2:Water. Mixed well in a small spray bottle (Light spray on baby's bum as wipes are too harsh at the moment).
Cotton pads (To wipe baby's bottom).
Face cloths (For bathing baby).

Things to think about
Your own pillows, bedding and towels.
What you might labour in... a sarong, black skirt, long black t-shirt etc
Keep your small change for the vending machines, parking.

This thread is so helpful. Thank you ladies.

I'm in the process of getting my bits together, washed babies things the other day and got them packed away.

Babies bag
6 baby grows but they are 0-3 I thought that round be fine but apparently I should get new born too.
6 vests
2 sets of mittens
2 hats
Towel
Baby toiletries
Going home outfit
Snowsuit since it will be winter
Nappies
Water based baby wipes
Nappy bags

my bag
2x nightdress
2xpjs
Slippers
Breast pads
Nipple cream
Toiletries - shampoo, shower gel, tooth paste and brush, hairbrush, hair bands, etc
Maternity pads
Towel
Going home clothes
Socks
Knickers

other halfs bag

Shorts and tshirt (he's gets very hot in hospitals)
Mints
Snacks
Something to read
Phone charger
Camera and charger
iPod
Water

I think that's everything :) I hope I'm only there for 1 day so I won't need half of this stuff but unfortunately labour is not something you can plan for grrrrr lol.

Ive just packed my bag for the second time.
With my first, I only had 0-3 clothes and she was tiny (6'14) so everything was huge. So this time I hav ea mixture of sizes

For Me
2 Button down nighties
2 old vest tops/tshirts
Yoga Pants/Tracksuit Bottoms
Hoodie
Big Knickers
Socks
PJ Bottoms (although had a EMCS last time so didnt need these)
2 Dresses
Nursing Bras
Toiletries - Shampoo, Conditioner, Body Wash, Toothpaste/brush, Nipple Cream
Slippers
Phone Charger (I have music on my phone)

For OH
TShirt
Boxers/Socks
Bag of snacks for us all

For Baby
2 x First Size Vests
2 x First Size Sleepsuits (up to 8lb)
2 x Newborm Vests
2 x Newborn Sleepsuits (up to 10lb) (why do newborn baby clothes vary in so many sizes!!!!)
Hat
Mittens
Cardigan
Blanket
Nappies
Cotton Wool
Muslins
Car Seat

Think I have most things covered. I think I best buy a few more newborn hats (only have one)
I have nothing for entertainment though....didn't really need it last time until I was on recovery after my C Section so I just got my visitors to bring me things in as and when I needed them. Hoping for a VBAC this time, and hopefully a very short hospital stay.

Loved bringing a blanket and body pillow from home along with warm socks!

This is a great thread! I'm getting ready to put my bag together, just need to buy a bag! What kind of bag is recommended? We always use my nike sports bag when we go away for weekends, and I'd like a proper bag!

I have a weekend bag on wheels - New Look or M&S sell them and the baby bag.

https://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/bags-and-purses/navy-zip-pocket-polka-dot-trolley-bag-_313658641

Also keeping a bag in the car with extra bits in.

I also just got a weekender bag, which is just big enough for the stuff I need for myself. And I'm using my diaper bag for all my babies stuff.

I'd recommend not using one big bag for everything - it all gets mixed up and it's hard for your birth partner to find stuff. My OH left my bag in a right state the first time! This time Im taking a small carry on suitcase (the kind with wheels you can use on the plane) which has everything for labour and immediately afterwards / up to 24hr stay. Then I have a holdall with more clothes for both of us, snacks and nappies which I will leave in the car. I've also put a blanket and pram suit in the carseat so OH can bring that it when its time to go.

Also I have put baby's first outfit in a clear wash bag with a nappy just in case I end up in theatre again. OH knows that he just needs to dig that bag out rather than pull apart my bag to find what they need.

Also I have put baby's first outfit in a clear wash bag with a nappy just in case I end up in theatre again. OH knows that he just needs to dig that bag out rather than pull apart my bag to find what they need.

great idea. I never thought of that. My DH makes a mess of everything, lol. I'm gonna try this.

Seriously first time he went to pot when the mw asked him to get the baby's clothes together for recovery! He knows what a vest looks like but in the panic his mind went blank and my bag looked like I'd been robbed after he'd been through it all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->