What To Pack In Your Hospital Bag - Suggestions

Hospital will have milk ready and they will have bath products they use infacare in my hospital can buy it in asda etc but as the other said take your own if you want Johnson's or anything else

I seriously over packed last time, I was only in there 24 hours!

I am 36 weeks in a few days and I am still looking at an empty suitcase. Just not motivted to pack yet. :-(

I seriously over packed last time, I was only in there 24 hours!

Me too! Didn't even have time to get the tens machine out! Didn't need half the stuff I took. Definitely take a towel, I've got mine in my case already. Ts nice to have something like that from home. Flip flops are going in mine today too!

From Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Our hospital only give you 1-3 jumbo pad, the hospital grade one and THAT's IT!

We had to bring everything, diapers, soaps for baby, blanket for DH and glad I took my pillow because otherwise DH would have had nothing. They don't provide you with a lot so bette rto pack a bit more than you think. My SIL just had her 2nd and only packed for the 24hrs....well her blood pressure got super high and wouldn't go down, so she had to stay for 4 days! We had to then bring her clothes, baby clothes, snacks, diapers, pads etc. So it's better to pack MORE then be stuck without.....besides a bag is a bag...fill it up!

So I know this thread is mostly referring to hospital bags (planning to start mine around 34/35 weeks) but I was just curious...when did you guys get your car seat (or car seat base) installed in the car? Did you do that when you did your bag or at a different time?

So I know this thread is mostly referring to hospital bags (planning to start mine around 34/35 weeks) but I was just curious...when did you guys get your car seat (or car seat base) installed in the car? Did you do that when you did your bag or at a different time?

I never fastened it in the car. I just had it ready to take with us as if you fasten it in the car before hand and you get in an accident then you have to replace it. So I always had my husband install the base while before we headed home from the hospital.:thumbup:

I'm here in the US. My hospital provides the soap, wipes, diapers, receiving blanket, they supply my pads while in hospital and little shirts while in hospital. I pack everything else...shampoo, conditioner (for my shower), socks, loose clothing so I don't have to wear a gown after birth, tooth brush, tooth paste, hair brush, pony tail holder, my own pads!, powder for me as I like to stay dry, nipple cream, cloth breast pads, any make up I may wear on a daily basis, deodorant, camera, video camera, flip flops. For baby I pack a pacifier, receiving blankets, socks, a couple outfits, a soft cotton cap, xtra wipes and diapers for the trip home and I think that's about it. I would rather pack too much than not enough as I'm 45 min. away from the hospital. I've never packed food as they supply my meals and have a snack area between meals but I might pack snacks this time.

In the UK NHS hospitals don't provide milk anymore.. I would suggest a starter pack they usually have 12 mini bottles in if you're planning to formula feed xx

Note: I'm planning on taking home my placenta for encapsulation, so I added a cooler with ice for my list!

Mama Clothes
-Nursing bras and Sports Bra
-Ratty old panties I can throw away afterward
-Shower shoes
-Slippers
-Warm socks for after birth
-Silk Robe
-Terry Cloth Robe
-Sleep T-Shirts and at least one tank top
-Nightgown
-Loose pants/pajama bottoms
Mama Accessories
-Cell phone with charger, ipod w/ head-phones, camera with charger
-Computer and charger
-Labor music downloaded to devices
-Tennis ball and heat pack for pain relief
-Massage Oil
-Burts Bees lip balm
-Gum or mints
-Liquid Chlorophyll for water (great for hydration and stimulating lactation)
-Easily digested snacks
-Big water bottle
-Toothbrush, toothpaste, shower supplies
-Hairbrush and hair ties
-Playing cards in case I'm up for it
-My pillow and blanket
-Nipple balm & nursing pads
-Big overnight pads with wings :)
Baby Clothes & Accessories
-T-shirts
-Onesies
-Cloth Diapers (might just use disposables if offered)
-Plain prefolds as burp cloths
-Blanket
-Hat
-Scratch mittens
-Cooler & ice for placenta, clear plastic bag if they don’t provide biohazard bag like they said they would
-Car Seat!!

In the UK NHS hospitals don't provide milk anymore.. I would suggest a starter pack they usually have 12 mini bottles in if you're planning to formula feed xx

Hi BettyBoop152, I had my daighter nearly 6 years ago at the Southern General in Glasgow and when I failed miserably at BFing after 36hrs they gave me small bottles of aptimal and continued to do so until I was discharged. I even started saving up a few for that first day or so at home lol.....

Do they not provide that in the UK now? What happens if you forget to bring any do they just let the wee one go without?

Thanks
x

When people say 'hospital bag' is anyone else looking at this list and thinking 'I'm going to need DH to get the holiday suitcase out the loft'? You know the one you take away for a fortnight, for both of you?!!:huh:

Yes I agree! Using the word bag is wrong lol. I have a cabin roller case and a small holdall !

When people say 'hospital bag' is anyone else looking at this list and thinking 'I'm going to need DH to get the holiday suitcase out the loft'? You know the one you take away for a fortnight, for both of you?!!:huh:

Lol... mine's currently packed into a beach tote type bag, everything but OH's stuff, but there's enough room for that, as well. Baby's stuff is packed into his diaper bag and I'll probably end up with a fabric shopping bag with snacks once I can afford to do a grocery shop.

I'm also planning on taking along my breastfeeding pillow.

Hi BettyBoop152, I had my daighter nearly 6 years ago at the Southern General in Glasgow and when I failed miserably at BFing after 36hrs they gave me small bottles of aptimal and continued to do so until I was discharged. I even started saving up a few for that first day or so at home lol.....

Do they not provide that in the UK now? What happens if you forget to bring any do they just let the wee one go without?

Thanks
x
They will normally apply a bit of common sense and will supply some for the first feed but no more. The hospital shop usually sells milk at an expensive rate so you'd be directed there. Most Drs and the hospital warn you that they no longer provide formula. They do have a supply (in paediatrics as well as maternity) but that is normally intended for emergency use and you shouldn't rely upon it.

would it be a silly idea to pack 1 toiletry bag to put in my labour bag and then take it out for my hospital stay?

Just wanted to give a tip to moms who will be having their babies in cold/snowy weather areas:

With my first child, we had her in February and it was very cold and snowy out, we bought one of those snow suits that buckles into the car seat and then you put baby inside it, not knowing it's a no no. Nurse would not let us use it, and told us it poses a risk if there were an accident, that baby could slide right out of it. She said it's best to put baby in warm clothes like a sleeper, and put a nice warm blanket over her instead and bring the snow suit along in case we were to break down. We purchased a warm carseat cozy cover to help keep her covered after that. So if you're buying a snowsuit for baby, just keep it in the car with you, but get a cover for your carseat to keep baby warm!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->