What to start with?

Vicks

Reaction score
We're starting weaning Joe next week as he'll be 6 months next weekend :thumbup: I'm getting him weighed on Tuesday and will then start on Wednesday.

I've bought some banana porridge & packets of apple & mango rice pudding. Is it ok to start him on a few spoons of this? Or should I start on baby rice?

Also, do you sterilise the spoons & bowls?

One more question (no more I promise!!), do you give them the bottle after in their highchair, or feed them normally? And do you give them the same amount in the bottle as before you started weaning? (Sorry, that was another question wasn't it :blush: !!!)

Hi there, i started on baby rice mixed with his usual formula milk and did this for a few days just until i saw how well he was taking it from a spoon, plus baby rice with milk is quite like their normal milk but just a bit thicker so some babies prefer this first as its not a massive taste difference for them to start with. We only did that for a few days and then i tried puree carrot, parsnip, sweet pot, banana. Just started with carrot on day for a couple of days and then moved on etc. I have also got some porridge for breakfast but corey is still only 1 or 2 meals a day at the moment not 3 yet and he does not have meal and a pudding, just one or the other. so like veg for dinner and fruit for tea.

there is no need to sterilise bowls and spoons just washing them in hot soapy water is fine.

corey is fed in his bouncer chair at the moment and after i have given him his food i leave him a bit till he is hungry for his milk as i find he wont take it straight after his meal so leave him a bit and then he takes his milk. but he does take a bit less at the feeds after his foood. just be led by your baby hun, make up his normal amount and see how he goes. you will soon see whether he takes the same or drinks less then you can just adapt how much you make.

sometimes if the packets of rice and porridge are mixed with milk then that milk is included in their daily amount. so they may drink less from an actual bottle as some is in their food so they are still getting milk.

hth a bit. sorry waffled on lol

marie x

Hey! We started Brandon on baby rice but he point blank refused to take it so after a few days of trying we moved onto puree'd veg and havent looked back! We gave him veg at lunch to start off with and then we moved onto a breakfast...and next week we are gonna start on tea time!

I do give Brandon his bottle in his high chair after his food, but I have a Fisher Price one which reclines which makes it easier! I find it difficult to feed him his bottle if the chair doesnt recline!

We used to make up 8oz bottles for Brandon but now we only make up 7oz ones as he was never finishing them anymore! Ive found that he is starting to leave more of his bottles now but I like to make up 7oz to make sure that if he wants more, he can have it! But normally, he is taking about 5oz after food!

Hope that helps! x x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->