What will an 8 week scan show?

twinkle93

very happy mummy to be
Reaction score
I want an early scan but at £90 I think we will be miffed if we don’t see anything. We are using the scan at 8 weeks to be able to tell our parents later that day. So I’m after experience of anyone who has had an 8 week scan
Thanks lasies

Gestational sac, yolk sac, you will be able to make out babys head and body and baby will have the beginnings of limbs and a heartbeat

Hey Hun if you go on groupon and search for baby scans in your area you might be able to catch a deal. I managed to get one reduced from £79 to £33. My 8 week scan showed a blob with little budding arms and legs, a strong heartbeat and was wriggling about a bit. I was supposed to be 8+4 but it measured 8+3 which is perfectly fine at this stage. Also don't worry if you don't see any movement, also fine at this stage. Hope it goes well Hun x

Like the previous poster at our 8 week scan you could see the baby, they looked a bit like a long bean with wiggly flippers for arms and legs, you could really see the heart beating. Mine was an internal scan as it was standard at the clinic.

Thank you! I would prefer a tummy scan, feel abit weird about internal. But if they said that is what’s best then I would do it. It’s a provate company with “state of the art” equipment though so I think it should be clear enough to see. Would they be able tos we a heartbeat at 8 weeks? That’s what I’m worried about

Mine was done at the hospital. So it was nothing that was state of the art technology or nothing.

They did see the heartbeat though. (I was going because of light bleeding, but they saw the heartbeat clear as day)
But this is the picture I got. I was 7 weeks and 6 days.

(Although, I mean, my 12 weeks scan in a private clinic was WAY better and clearer than my 22 weeks at the hospital. So I'm thinking your private clinic scan would def look better than mine, but still!)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 7.09.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 7.09.40 AM.png
    335.6 KB · Views: 37
The most beautiful blob in the whole wide world isn’t it. How come you had a 12 week private one? Wouldn’t you have been offered a 12 week hospital one? Thank you for sharing your scan ☺️

It is! I know we don't see much, but boy was a tearing up when we had the scan.
Well, over here in Canada, the 12 weeks scan for the NT is not included in our follow ups. (Now it's covered by our health care by a lot of clinics, but not all of them yet). So technically the free down syndrome tracking process is just the two free blood tests. If you want the 12 weeks scan for the NT, you gotta go in a private clinic.

The morphology one at 20-22 weeks is free at the hospital, and any other you might get refer too (I have a 32 weeks one to follow up on growth).

My baby looked like the cutest little gummy bear in the world at my 8 week scan. :cloud9:

I heard the heartbeat at my 6 week, 6d scan but it looked like a dot.

At my 8 week scan, I heard the heart again, and saw a little definitely baby-shaped blob. :thumbup:

Depends where the baby is located in your uterus. With my first, she was up close to the front so they could see her with just a regular ultrasound scan. This one is waaaay back and can old be seen right now with transvaginal. I felt weird about doing the transvaginal with my first but after giving birth and having a bunch of people’s hands in my hooha made me way less squeamish this time. I really wanted to make sure there was a heartbeat at 8 weeks since I’d had some bleeding.

But if you do see your baby with a regal scan, you can see the sac (a big black void in the uterine wall) and a little bean inside and the flutter of the heart. It’s amazing.

It’s odd some people hear the heartbeat before 12 weeks, that’s pretty rare. Don’t expect to hear it at 8 weeks, but you can see it.

With both of mine, they did transvaginal ultrasounds at 8 weeks. A regular ultrasound is less likely to be able to pick everything up. We were able to both see and hear the heartbeats, and of course we saw the little blob of a baby and the yolk sac.

Depends where the baby is located in your uterus. With my first, she was up close to the front so they could see her with just a regular ultrasound scan. This one is waaaay back and can old be seen right now with transvaginal. I felt weird about doing the transvaginal with my first but after giving birth and having a bunch of people’s hands in my hooha made me way less squeamish this time. I really wanted to make sure there was a heartbeat at 8 weeks since I’d had some bleeding

It’s odd some people hear the heartbeat before 12 weeks, that’s pretty rare. Don’t expect to hear it at 8 weeks, but you can see it.

I think it’s common to hear the heartbeat at 7 weeks. I’ve only had transvaginal ultrasounds though.

They didn't hear mine at 8 weeks, but they saw it - I saw it as well.

Here’s my trans-vag scan at 8 weeks. It’s really not scary, but mildly uncomfortable. Go pee first. :winkwink:

https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1036895&stc=1&d=1529942350

Here’s my trans-vag scan at 8 weeks. It’s really not scary, but mildly uncomfortable. Go pee first. :winkwink:

https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1036895&stc=1&d=1529942350

Hmmm let me try again to attach.

Attachments

• A0CBEB66-54BD-448D-AFFF-FAF87F6F315C.jpg
    A0CBEB66-54BD-448D-AFFF-FAF87F6F315C.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 20
Depends where the baby is located in your uterus. With my first, she was up close to the front so they could see her with just a regular ultrasound scan. This one is waaaay back and can old be seen right now with transvaginal. I felt weird about doing the transvaginal with my first but after giving birth and having a bunch of people’s hands in my hooha made me way less squeamish this time. I really wanted to make sure there was a heartbeat at 8 weeks since I’d had some bleeding

I think it’s common to hear the heartbeat at 7 weeks. I’ve only had transvaginal ultrasounds though.

Huh....weird. Both my regular OB and the ER doc said it wasn’t usually possible to hear the heartbeat until after 12 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->